The Mysterious Benedict Society and the…

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (edition 2009)

by Trenton Lee Stewart, Diana Sudyka (Illustrator)

Member:Dcairns
Title:The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey
Authors:Trenton Lee Stewart
Other authors:Diana Sudyka (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart

When we first met the intrepid, orphaned quartet that made up a large part of the Mysterious Benedict Society we were left feeling that surely this couldn't be the last adventure that they'd be on together...and we were absolutely right. The whole gang is back in the second book in the series by Trenton Lee Stewart titled The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey. (Note: A new illustrator, Diana Sudyka, has penned the drawings for this book and forthcoming books in the series.) The beginning of the book starts off with the kids separated and trying to live as close to normal as possible. The reader is once again following the main character, Reynie, as he heads to meet up with everyone on the anniversary of their last adventure together. However, when they are all reunited at Mr. Benedict's house they are met with a very unpleasant surprise. (No spoilers here!!) What follows is a treacherous journey (hence the name of the book) that takes them on boats, trains, and up the side of a mountain in another country. While the central theme of friendship and working together is still present, this book is much darker in tone and a sense of foreboding lingers over every page. (In some ways, it reminds me of the progression of the Harry Potter series.) The illustrations again accompany a portion of the text and even though it's a different illustrator the sense of whimsy is ever-present. Overall, very enjoyable and fun to see how the author expands on each of the characters personalities and abilities. (Constance plays a much larger role in this book.) I have to confess that I've had the third book in the series gathering dust on my desk at work (and a copy of it here at home) but I haven't felt an overwhelming urge to pick it up just yet. I have a feeling this will be one of the first books I get to in the new year. XD If you read the first book in the series then I'm confident you'll enjoy the sequel. 8/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Dec 15, 2017 |
2.75 (where 1.0 is the highest and 5.0 is failing)

The four children, now none of them orphans, are to be reunited for a surprise from Mr. Benedict. Unfortunately he has been kidnapped by his twin brother Mr. Curtain, and the four sneak away from their parents and guardians to follow the trail of clues Mr. Benedict left behind.

Compared to the first book, which I'd only planned to read for a little bit but ended up staying up for to finish, this sequel dragged. In every other paragraph there seemed to be a statement about how one character was irritated with the other, and that got tedious. They are placed in stressful situations that show them testing the patience of each other, like when Sticky, hungry for praise, occasionally lapses into being an insufferable know-it-all, which even beat when Constance acts like the grumpy toddler that she is. The puzzles and riddles also seemed a little less clever than in the last book.

Over the year that they were apart, each child has developed at uneven rates. Constance, whose contribution in the last book was her stubborness, is now revealed to have Sherlockian powers of observation such that she can deduce outcomes from patterns so subtle that it almost appears to be a psychic ability. Kate, when she's not training farm animals to do their own chores or spending time with her falcon, practices a new key-regurgitating trick that naturally ends up being a lifesaver. When in the last book she is shown to be an athletic and resourceful young girl, there are moments in this new book wherein she has an almost The Flash/Quicksilver-like speed, and more emphasis is given to to her being rather unusually strong. She also grows in character as learns a lesson from her father, Milligan, that part of what sets them (as agents of good) apart from common thugs is that they do not aim to kill. All in all she seems to be the Most Improved. Even her bucket and tools have been upgraded. Sticky's only new thing, as mentioned, seems to be his ego, which is a negative development.

Reynie does not seem to have changed remarkably, for better or worse, in his talent of problem-solving, although at one point, influenced by his sudden awareness of the untrustworthiness of people, he misjudges Captain Noland's intentions. A sub-theme also develops about the importance of keeping his teammate's trust. There's a moment at the end of the book where Mr. Benedict betrays S.Q., and I bet there'll be a little Dumbledore-Harry scene in the next book about it. Mr. Benedict spouts some familiar "there's good in everybody" speech.

Other scattered thoughts:
- I found myself wishing that there were illustrations included here and there in the book. A map of the island would have been useful.

- I'm a little disappointed that Number Two and Rhonda are as helpless as the other adults, when supposedly they are also geniuses or have some extraordinary talent, which is how they met Mr. Benedict in the first place. Or does being an adult diminish that?

- I liked the part where the mysterious man who's been following them turns out to be Milligan in disguise. He also adds a dose of reality to the setup, because however talented the children are, they're still children, and he helps them with practical things like forming a strategy, where to hide, how to move. He's basically the Disney version of James Bond. Like in many children's books though, the children rarely listen to their elders, because if they did, they would be safe, and that wouldn't be much of an adventure.

- I still keep on thinking that S.Q. is actually on their side, but in deep undercover, and his clumsiness and slowness is an act so the enemies don't take him seriously.

I wasn't too enthralled with this sequel, but I'll give the next one a chance. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
It was really good but the first one was better. Ahhhh.... Now I have to write a report on it. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
This took me a long time to get through because it didn't keep my attention nearly add much as the first one. The plot was a long series of implausible events, and I didn't much like any of the kids this time around--what happened to all their nerdy charm? ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance, all graduates of the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened and members of the Benedict Society, embark on a scavenger hunt that turns into a desperate search for the missing Mr. Benedict.
  lkmuir | Dec 11, 2015 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sudyka, DianaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Fletcher - T.L.D
On a bright September morning, when most children his age were in school fretting over fractions and decimal points, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was walking down a dusty road.

The Mysterious Benedict Society is back with a new mission, significantly closer to home. After reuniting for a celebratory scavenger hunt, Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance are forced to go on an unexpected search--a search to find Mr. Benedict. It seems that while he was preparing the kids' adventure, he stepped right into a trap orchestrated by his evil twin Mr. Curtain.

With only one week to find a captured Mr. Benedict, the gifted foursome faces their greatest challenge of all--a challenge that will reinforce the reasons they were brought together in the first place and will require them to fight for the very namesake that united them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,631,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible