My Princess Boy by Cheryl Kilodavis

My Princess Boy

by Cheryl Kilodavis

Cheryl Kilodavis's book is about a boy who likes to dress up. It's a good book for children to know that different people wear different clothes. It is a great diversity book. ( )
  jallen9306 | Feb 17, 2017 |
My Princess Boy is a nonfiction picture book, and the big picture of the book is about accepting others that are different from yourself. I enjoyed this book for a few reasons, because it really encourages acceptance and being yourself. A reason I liked the book was the point of view was interesting and is important for the overall theme of the book. The book was written by a mom who's son liked to dress up and do girly things. She wrote the book in first person and starts every other page with "My princess boy..." or "I love my princess boy..." It's an important issue to the mom and you can see how much she loves her son through her use of first person point of view. Secondly, I liked that the book was still engaging even though it is a nonfiction story based on real people and real events. When your reading the book it doesn't feel like a nonfiction book. For example the author writes about her son going trick or treating with his brother and it seems as if it could be any other realistic fiction book. Finally, I liked that the book pushes young readers to broaden their perspective of gender roles. Young children usually stick to their gender roles and follow them strictly, and when one strays from that they usually get made fun of. This book helps student understand some people are just different, and that we need to still accept them for who they are. ( )
  baileywysong | Nov 1, 2016 |
It never occurred to me that some drag queens start young. I'm not sure how thrilled I am with the execution of this wonderful idea - but, because it's actually *true,* it's very effective. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is great for all children. I am so excited I found this book. This book is great to introduce the gay community. It teaches the children to teach everyone the same.
  MadelineLuna | Mar 19, 2016 |
This is a tradebook that my group was given in class. It works well because this book pertains to my research topic. This is a story about a young boy who dresses up like a princess. His family accepts him and loves him for who he is. The world outside of his family isn't always accepting. I gave this story a five out of five stars. I love how a boy can dress up like a princess if that is what makes him happy. I thought the illustrations were interesting. None of the characters had faces, and the colors were vibrant. I would use this book in the classroom to show that it is okay to be different from what society thinks is normal. ( )
  j.swancutt | Nov 23, 2015 |

My Princess Boy is a nonfiction picture book about acceptance. With words and illustrations even the youngest of children can understand, My Princess Boy tells the tale of 4-year-old boy who happily expresses his authentic self by happily dressing up in dresses, and enjoying traditional girl things such as jewelry and anything pink or sparkly. The book is from a mom's point of view, sharing both good and bad observations and experiences with friends and family, at school and in shopping stores. My Princess Boy opens a dialogue about embracing uniqueness, and teaches you and others how to accept young boys who might cross traditional gender line clothing expectations. The book ends with the understanding that 'my' Princess Boy is really 'our' Princess Boy, and as a community, we can accept and support youth for whoever they are and however they wish to look.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

A four-year-old boy loves dressing up in princess clothing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible