My Princess Boy by Cheryl Kilodavis

My Princess Boy

by Cheryl Kilodavis

English (37)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
Summary: My Princess Boy is a "mom's story about a young boy who loves to dress up." In the story, Princess Boy likes pink, to dress up in girly dresses, and dance like a ballerina. Princess Boy likes to dance with his brother (who likes sports), twirl with his dad, have playdates with boys and girls, and go shopping for girls clothes. Sometimes, people laugh at him for wanting to wear dresses or buying "girl things." It hurts Princess Boy and his mom's feelings. The mom asks, if you see a Princess Boy will you laugh at him? Call him a name? Play with him? Like him for who he is? And then says her Princess Boy is happiest because he is loved for who he is.

Personal Connection: I liked that the author took a different perspective when writing this story, and told it as if Princess Boy is a person you might see around, and that there are many other Princess Boys in the world, not just hers. I also thought it was interesting that the illustration chose not to use facial expressions on the characters. I also was happy to see people of color in this story as I have yet to find a book that addresses gender fluidity with characters of color! So sweet that it is actually based on her own children- Princess Boy and Champion Brother.

Extras:
-Book website: http://myprincessboy.com/
-Author interview: http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/behavioral/interview-wi...

Application to Teaching: I would use this book in a being yourself/being kind to others unit and let the students know that this is based on a true story- potentially even showing them pictures of the real "Princess Boy." It could also be used in a unit on families. ( )
  alliecipolla | Jul 26, 2017 |
Cheryl Kilodavis's book is about a boy who likes to dress up. It's a good book for children to know that different people wear different clothes. It is a great diversity book. ( )
  jallen9306 | Feb 17, 2017 |
My Princess Boy is a nonfiction picture book, and the big picture of the book is about accepting others that are different from yourself. I enjoyed this book for a few reasons, because it really encourages acceptance and being yourself. A reason I liked the book was the point of view was interesting and is important for the overall theme of the book. The book was written by a mom who's son liked to dress up and do girly things. She wrote the book in first person and starts every other page with "My princess boy..." or "I love my princess boy..." It's an important issue to the mom and you can see how much she loves her son through her use of first person point of view. Secondly, I liked that the book was still engaging even though it is a nonfiction story based on real people and real events. When your reading the book it doesn't feel like a nonfiction book. For example the author writes about her son going trick or treating with his brother and it seems as if it could be any other realistic fiction book. Finally, I liked that the book pushes young readers to broaden their perspective of gender roles. Young children usually stick to their gender roles and follow them strictly, and when one strays from that they usually get made fun of. This book helps student understand some people are just different, and that we need to still accept them for who they are. ( )
  baileywysong | Nov 1, 2016 |
It never occurred to me that some drag queens start young. I'm not sure how thrilled I am with the execution of this wonderful idea - but, because it's actually *true,* it's very effective. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is great for all children. I am so excited I found this book. This book is great to introduce the gay community. It teaches the children to teach everyone the same.
  MadelineLuna | Mar 19, 2016 |

My Princess Boy is a nonfiction picture book about acceptance. With words and illustrations even the youngest of children can understand, My Princess Boy tells the tale of 4-year-old boy who happily expresses his authentic self by happily dressing up in dresses, and enjoying traditional girl things such as jewelry and anything pink or sparkly. The book is from a mom's point of view, sharing both good and bad observations and experiences with friends and family, at school and in shopping stores. My Princess Boy opens a dialogue about embracing uniqueness, and teaches you and others how to accept young boys who might cross traditional gender line clothing expectations. The book ends with the understanding that 'my' Princess Boy is really 'our' Princess Boy, and as a community, we can accept and support youth for whoever they are and however they wish to look.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

A four-year-old boy loves dressing up in princess clothing. "A nonfiction picture book about acceptance ... to give children and adults a tool to talk about unconditional friendship"--Dust jacket.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible