I, Doko: The Tale of a Basket by Ed Young

I, Doko: The Tale of a Basket (edition 2004)

by Ed Young

A Nepalese basket tells the story of its use through three generations of a family.
Member:goingmb
Title:I, Doko: The Tale of a Basket
Authors:Ed Young
Info:Philomel (2004), Hardcover, 32 pages

I, Doko: The Tale of a Basket by Ed Young

Doko is the Nepalese word for basket — and in this case, Doko is the protagonist! Doko the basket has been with their family for a long time, long enough to see a new baby be born and the family matriarch die. Throughout all the family’s changes, Doko carries everything, and everyone! But change is afoot when the family patriarch is getting older and the younger generation is talking about sending him away to the temple steps. The youngest of the family, the grandson, is the one who reminds the whole family and the whole village of the importance of respect and making space for elders. An important message is told through a fairly light and humorously framed book. I did feel that the book was oddly paced, with many very drastic changes happening both in the family’s life and the attitudes the family takes toward one another. The fast pace will probably require more explanation and deeper dives through discussion. ( )
  lydsmith | Mar 10, 2020 |
The picture book, I Doko the fictional story of a basket, is a first persons style story from the eyes of a basket for a hard working Nepalese family. In the end, the basket carries an elder to the steps of a church to be cared for. The main idea of the story the community learning to respect their elders so they can live peaceful lives. The family endures the hardship of drought and injury. While I understand the importance of children not exclusively reading happy, uplifting books, I did not enjoy this book. I didn't feel the message was conveyed as effectively as possible. The pictures were boring, lacking color and detail. I did not feel the story had any positive aspects, and overall was too somber for my liking. There was not much character development for the family, or even for the basket. He/she felt "proud" on the wedding day, but not many other adjectives were used. The pace was slower, which is not always a bad thing, but combined with the other aspects I found this a boring read. ( )
  cmarti50 | Sep 14, 2015 |
This shows and teaches about a culture as well as his other books. Doko, a basket, carries not only grain, but also his master's child, and wood for fire. It is very interesting to see from Doko's perspective to see its master who used to be a child to a man. It makes me think of so many things. It would be nice to think of the same story but from another perspective.
  mtaya | Feb 1, 2015 |
Told from the perspective of the basket, or doko, this story chronicles the life of a family through three generations culminating in a moment when a son must choose between what his village tells him to do and what he knows is right. It is great for a lesson in ancient cultures. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Having this book to tell the story of a doko is just perfect. The book is beautifully illustrated. It's a high quality children's book that I will treasure. The story is very touching.
  aevans1 | Nov 27, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible