No Rest for the Dead by Andrew F. Gulli

No Rest for the Dead

by Andrew F. Gulli, Lamia J. Gulli (Editor)

Member:tina1969
Title:No Rest for the Dead
Authors:Andrew F. Gulli
Other authors:Lamia J. Gulli (Editor)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned

No Rest for the Dead [Serial Novel] by Sandra Brown (Contributor)

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
A collaboration of authors wrote this mystery. The idea is noteworthy and fairly well executed. Occasional chapters don't shine as authentically as others. The plot revolves around a woman who has been executed by lethal injection for the murder of her husband. She requested ten years later to have a memorial for her at the art museum where she worked and helped fund. The detective who saw to it that the evidence pointed to the woman, now has doubts as to the evidence trail. The memorial should bring the real killer to light. ( )
  creighley | Jul 15, 2014 |
I was particularly wary of this novel, only because I have never read a collaborative work before. With that said, the contributing authors included many of my favourites, and I trusted their judgement – feeling that they would not be involved in such a project if it wasn’t worthwhile. I’m glad I gave it a shot, because No Rest for the Dead is nothing short of spectacular and magnificent. With an extraordinary line-up of authors including Alexander McCall Smith, Tess Gerritsen, Jeffrey Deaver, Diana Gabaldon, Jeff Lindsay, R.L. Stine and Kathy Reichs, the story flows seamlessly and each author brings something unique to each chapter to create one of the better crime novels I’ve read in 2011.

I read the opening couple of chapters on the bus ride home, and was instantly moved. Without giving too much away, the opening chapter describes the process of administering a lethal injection in such graphic and uncompromising detail. I was completely hooked. What follows is the extraordinary tale of Rosemary and Christopher Thomas and the art world in which they live in. Christopher is potentially the most loathsome character I’ve read about in years – a womanising and shady man and curator at a San Francisco gallery, who will stoop to incredible levels to make more money. What could have been a promising career turned sour as his greed and ambition destroyed any chance of happiness or fulfilment – he simply can’t help wanting more. And yet without his wife, he would be nothing. Rosemary comes from an incredibly wealthy family, and helped establish a life for her husband and children. Sick and tired of watching her husband flaunt his ways, Rosemary causes a scene at a public event at the gallery and after a vocal argument, the two leave the gallery. Christopher Thomas is never seen again.

With overwhelming evidence pointing to one suspect, Detective John Nunn has no choice but to follow the trail and arrest Rosemary. The case takes its toll on Nunn and his personal life, and we re-join him some ten years in the future; a shadow of his former self and still unsettled over the Thomas murder. When a ten-year memorial is raised by a friend close to the Thomas family, Nunn seizes the opportunity to have all the original suspects back together on the same night. No Rest for the Dead is no Agatha Christie novel, where the detective pieces the puzzle together. Nor is it a game of Cleudo, where logical deduction solves the case. Everyone had motives, everyone had means. If Rosemary was innocent – who killed Christopher Thomas?

The twists and turns that lead to the stunning conclusion are expertly delivered by some of the world’s greatest crime writers and with an ample pool of suspects, the revelation of the killer’s identity, as suggested by David Baldacci in the introduction, came as a huge surprise to me. I love nothing more than being surprised. Read this! ( )
  tonile.helena | Mar 31, 2013 |
Twenty-six of the best mystery writers get together to write a book. Normally you would think, yeah, a bunch of short stories but not in this case, they actually write a complete mystery and Wow, what a mystery they write.

There is a good explanation about how they manage this feat but it doesn't really explain the magic. This is a solid, tight mystery with plenty of twists and turns. I did wonder at one point if I had the solution but I certainly didn't come up with the entire finish!

I'm not even going to try and explain the story, it needs to be read to even follow. I was actually a bit hesitant because of the premise but it was done so well that I didn't even notice how fast I was flying through the chapters. I had a family picnic and a six hour drive home in the middle of this book and still finished it in two days!

One thing I wanted to do was see if I could retain who wrote which sections and keep track of some of my favorite authors. Wrong, the pages kept turning and as soon as I started the next chapter I completely forgot who was writing that particular chapter.

The proceeds from this book are going to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, something that just makes it more worth buying. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
When Christopher Thomas, a curator at San Francisco's Museum of Fine Arts, is murdered and his decaying body is found in an iron maiden in Berlin, his wife Rosemary Thomas is the prime suspect.

Long suffering under Christopher's unfaithful ways, Rosemary is tried, convicted and executed. Ten years later, Jon Nunn, the detective who cracked the case, becomes convinced that the wrong person was put to death. Along with financier Tony Olsen, he plans to gather everyone who was there the night Christopher died and finally uncover the truth about what happened that fateful evening. Could it have been the ne'er do well brother Peter Hausen, interested in his sister's trust fund having got through his own; the curatorial assistant Justine Olengard, used and betrayed by Christopher; the artist Belle who turned down his advances only to see her career suffer a setback; or someone else all together?

My Thoughts:

Just like when you get all the currant pop stars together to create a charity single, this book is one story by 26 of well known authors for a charity.

The story was really good and in true crime fashion there is the big reveal at the end and I did guess who it was. There was plenty of tension and enough to keep me turning the pages. I just cannot say enough how this good this book was.

There wasn’t a problem for me that the book was by 26 different authors and it seemed that they all worked well together for the final story and the book flowed as if it had been just one author.

I would highly recommend this book for any crime fan and well done at all the authors for such a unique reading experience for me. ( )
  tina1969 | Nov 29, 2012 |
A woman is accused of the murder of her unscrupulous husband.
She is tried and convicted and later punished.
Years later, the private investigator is convinced they convicted the wrong woman. ( )
  mikedraper | Jul 27, 2012 |

Scottoline, LisaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Alexander McCallContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stine, R. L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talley, MarciaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A serial novel featuring contributions by twenty-five masters of suspense follows detective Jon Nunn as he re-opens a ten-year-old case to discover if the wrong person was convicted and put to death for the murder of art curator Christopher Thomas.

Sandra Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible