Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary by Jason…

Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary (2007)

by Jason Loborik

Series: Doctor Who

This is a very gorgeous catalogue of the concepts of New Who; not much more to say about it except again to emphasise that it looks very nice. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 23, 2018 |
A visual companion to the new Doctor Who series, up through the end of the Eleventh Doctor's first season. The brief chunks of text aren't particularly impressive, even given that they're undoubtedly written to be accessible to children, but visually it's pretty spiffy. I wouldn't exactly call it a must-have reference for the Who fan, although I suppose folks who do costuming might find it useful. But it is fun to browse through, and it certainly reminds me just how much I love this ridiculous, wacky, wonderful show. ( )
  bragan | Mar 26, 2013 |
Although there’s not a lot of new information for a Whovian, this book is still a must-have for all the beautiful pictures and the thorough run-down of the last three Doctors’ toys, tools, and friends and foes. It would have been great to have a detailed entry covering all of the Doctor’s regenerations, but the pre-Russell T. Davies crowd is not the intended audience here, so we get most coverage on the 11th Doctor, some on the 10th and mere mentions of the others. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 19, 2010 |
I got this book for Christmas, and once I finished the new series Doctor Who encyclopedia, this became my nightstand read, as I did about ten pages a night. I got this book for two reasons: the TARDIS interior cutaway and the Dalek Emperor's flagship cutaway, and both are awesome. Unfortunately, the rest of the book is somewhat lacking. The selected photos are neither unique or stunning, and does anyone really need a callout on Rose informing us that she buys her clothes with a Henrik's employee discount? I suppose that the grounded ordinariness of some aspects of Doctor Who makes a compelling visual dictionary difficult to create: you can't make up exciting new information about Rose Tyler's backstory like you can General Grievous's. It also didn't help that the callouts were peppered with errors here and there, such as indicating that the robotic Santas in "The Christmas Invasion" and "The Runaway Bride" were mercenaries. (Though I was interested to learn that Jackie is an at-home hair dresser, since what exactly she did for money after Pete passed away has been bothering me for a while.)
  Stevil2001 | Mar 5, 2008 |

Back in my day, we had to be satisfied with the almost-all-text The Making of Doctor Who. Kids these days can get this brilliant Dorling Kindersley illustrated book all about the Doctor, and featuring all the monsters from the first and second seasons, plus the Judoon (but nothing else from Season Three as far as I noticed). Perfect gift for the young Who fan; maybe also for the less young Who fan. (And one of the labelled components in the Tardis console room is the "mercury fluid link"!!!) ( )
1 vote nwhyte | Jul 24, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 075666876X, Hardcover)

Now updated with all the latest information on all your Doctor Who favorites! The book goes beyond the story lines to examine the characters, aliens, weapons and curiosities that are all in a day's work for the Doctor. Entries are illustrated with annotated photography and specially commissioned cross-section artworks.

Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary updates the entries of Davros and his Daleks, the rhino-headed Judoon and the Doctor s companions Martha Jones and Captain Jack. Forty additional pages introduce and explore all-new characters like the formidable Donna Noble, the Family of Blood and their Scarecrow Henchmen, the warmongering Sontaran and the childlike, but deadly, Toclafane.

BBC and logo © and TM BBC 1996. Doctor Who logo © BBC 2004. TARDIS image © BBC 1963. Dalek image © BBC/Terry Nation 1963. Licensed by BBC Worldwide Limited.

Doctor Who, TARDIS and DALEK and the Doctor Who, TARDIS and DALEK logos are trademarks of the British Broadcasting Corporation and are used under license.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:18 -0400)

Presents an introduction to the popular science fiction television program, dsicussing its characters, plot lines, villains, gadgets, monsters, aliens, weaponry, and spaceships.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,869,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible