My Dear I Wanted to Tell You: A Novel by…

My Dear I Wanted to Tell You: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Louisa Young

Title:My Dear I Wanted to Tell You: A Novel
Authors:Louisa Young
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

My Dear I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young

Recently added byavidbirdreader, shellcox, private library, annbell, irisper012106, Jodeneg, arena300

This was a reading group book and I was just really bored. The beginning is really boring, it improves slightly when the male character is injured but I was still bored. I just didn't care about any of the characters - in fact I often wanted to slap them for stupidity - particularly the useless vain wife. Not for me. ( )
  infjsarah | Feb 21, 2015 |
WWI epic of love and war My Dear I Wanted to Tell You (2012)

by Louisa Young

A touching look at the mettle of men and woman facing WWI
2 couples are highlighted....upper crust Peter and Julia Locke and working-class Riley Purefoy and “well placed” Nadine Waveney.

Their lives weave together and each are " tested to their personal limits by World War I.."
The character of each relationship is shattered and remolded by the nature of their love and
the atrocities of war.
I thought characters were well developed and their inevitable intertwining was moving
and well executed.

I recommend this fictional look into the shadows of WWI
4* ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
I loved this book for many reasons -- the author did a great job of weaving interesting, accurate historical detail into the story, balanced the horror of the war with the hopefulness and perseverance of the characters, and gave us just enough insight into the characters' thoughts and feelings without sacrificing the forward momentum of the plot.

I'm looking forward to her next book about these characters -- "The Heroes' Welcome" ( )
  agjuba | Sep 16, 2014 |
This book was every bit as good as I hoped it would be. The descriptions of war were at times horrific but necessary to convey the horror of war. The characterisation was excellent as was the historical detail, including some real life characters, which was a nice touch. I enjoyed the ending, a little predictable, but it tied up all the loose ends, which made me feel quite satisfied at the end. A very good read. ( )
  shirleybell | Sep 26, 2013 |
This is an ok book bit long winded in places. The main character is Riley Purefoy who signs up to join the British army and fight in World War 1.He leaves behind his girlfriend Nadine. Nadine is middle class and Riley is working class. On leave they get together and their love blossoms.
When Riley returns to the front he suffers a terrible facial injury. He rejects her to save her feelings. Nadine throws herself into her work as a nurse.
When the war is finished Riley has to pick up his captain from some London pub and returns him to the captains wife and child,Nadine is visiting aswell. Riley shows Nadine his face they agree to try and give their love a chance.

OK book this its not true but some of the places and people are real. Alot of soldiers did have horrible injuries. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Sep 22, 2013 |

Set on the Western Front, in London and in Paris, MY DEAR I WANTED TO TELL YOU is a moving and brilliant novel of love, class and sex in wartime, and how war affects those left behind as well as those who fight.

While Riley Purefoy and Peter Locke fight for their country, their survival and their sanity in the trenches of Flanders, Nadine Waveney, Julia Locke and Rose Locke do what they can at home.

Beautiful, obsessive Julia and gentle, eccentric Peter are married: each day Julia goes through rituals to prepare for her beloved husband’s return. Nadine and Riley, only eighteen when the war starts, and with problems of their own already, want above all to make promises - but how can they when the future is not in their hands? And Rose? Well, what did happen to the traditionally brought-up women who lost all hope of marriage, because all the young men were dead?

A story that intertwines the lives of two very different couples during World War I follows army soldier Riley as he fights for the love of Nadine despite a terrible injury, and Riley's commanding officer Peter Locke, who returns home from the war a bitter and scarred man.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible