My Dear I Wanted to Tell You: A Novel by…

My Dear I Wanted to Tell You: A Novel (edition 2011)

Member:gdine55
Title:My Dear I Wanted to Tell You: A Novel
Authors:Louisa Young
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

My Dear I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young

Simply beautiful. The storyline was achingly hard at times, but I was totally caught up in it. I cared deeply about the characters and found the writing superb.

It was a wonderful choice for audio. It almost seemed as if the book was meant to be read aloud. ( )
  TheDenizen | May 31, 2016 |
Hardcover (edit)
Review WWI epic of love and war My Dear I Wanted to Tell You (2012)

A touching look at the mettle of men and woman facing WWI
2 couples are highlighted....upper crust Peter and Julia Locke and working-class Riley Purefoy and well placed Nadine Waveney.

Their lives weave together and each are " tested to their personal limits by World War I.."
The character of each relationship is shattered and remolded by the nature of their love and
the atrocities of war.
I thought characters were well developed and their inevitable intertwining was moving
and well executed.

I recommend this fictional look into the shadows of WWI
4* (less) ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 27, 2016 |
This was a reading group book and I was just really bored. The beginning is really boring, it improves slightly when the male character is injured but I was still bored. I just didn't care about any of the characters - in fact I often wanted to slap them for stupidity - particularly the useless vain wife. Not for me. ( )
  infjsarah | Feb 21, 2015 |
WWI epic of love and war My Dear I Wanted to Tell You (2012)

A touching look at the mettle of men and woman facing WWI
2 couples are highlighted....upper crust Peter and Julia Locke and working-class Riley Purefoy and “well placed” Nadine Waveney.

the atrocities of war.
and well executed.

I recommend this fictional look into the shadows of WWI
4* ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
I loved this book for many reasons -- the author did a great job of weaving interesting, accurate historical detail into the story, balanced the horror of the war with the hopefulness and perseverance of the characters, and gave us just enough insight into the characters' thoughts and feelings without sacrificing the forward momentum of the plot.

I'm looking forward to her next book about these characters -- "The Heroes' Welcome" ( )
  agjuba | Sep 16, 2014 |

Louisa Youngprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Robert Lockhart, R.I.P.
It had been a warm night.

Set on the Western Front, in London and in Paris, MY DEAR I WANTED TO TELL YOU is a moving and brilliant novel of love, class and sex in wartime, and how war affects those left behind as well as those who fight.

While Riley Purefoy and Peter Locke fight for their country, their survival and their sanity in the trenches of Flanders, Nadine Waveney, Julia Locke and Rose Locke do what they can at home.

Beautiful, obsessive Julia and gentle, eccentric Peter are married: each day Julia goes through rituals to prepare for her beloved husband’s return. Nadine and Riley, only eighteen when the war starts, and with problems of their own already, want above all to make promises - but how can they when the future is not in their hands? And Rose? Well, what did happen to the traditionally brought-up women who lost all hope of marriage, because all the young men were dead?

A story that intertwines the lives of two very different couples during World War I follows army soldier Riley as he fights for the love of Nadine despite a terrible injury, and Riley's commanding officer Peter Locke, who returns home from the war a bitter and scarred man.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,470,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible