Ole! Flamenco by George Ancona

Ole! Flamenco

by George Ancona

"Photo-essay about Flamenco, a southern Spanish art form that incorporates song, dance, and music, tracing its cultural history and focusing on a contemporary young girl and her brother as they learn the traditional style of movement and instrument playing. Includes a glossary/pronunciation guide and author's sources"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

In this book, Ancona informs about the historical and cultural roots of Flamenco music and dancing and how it has changed over time, including the different instruments and roles that make up Flamenco. He tells of his own experience with the art form, as well as that of a New Mexico family that practices the dance together.
  LivCerna | Mar 11, 2018 |
This book is a non-fiction book about the history of flamenco. The author, George Ancona, uses his own photos to illustrate the book. It begins with a young girl, Janira Cordova, as she practices with her dance troop. Ancona then goes back to the origin of flamenco, believed to have started with the Roma (Gypsies) over 1,000 years ago. It gives a short but informative history lesson on how the Gypsies were persecuted and how they ended up hiding out for generations in the caves and remote areas around Andalucia, Spain. Flamenco is passed down in families, with grandparents and parents teaching the young. There are three main parts to flamenco-song, dance, and music. Ancona explains each part, illustrating beautifully with his photographs of flamenco performers in and around Santa Fe, New Mexico. I learned so much from this book, both about flamenco and the history of the Gypsies. I would recommend this book for grades K-8; it is a fairly easy read for older elementary grades, and a great read-aloud for younger grades. ( )
  TomasJ | Jul 6, 2016 |
I really liked this book! The first reason I liked this book is for its use of real-life illustrations. For example, when the book talked about a young boy learning to play guitar and how to dance the flamenco, there were a plethora of pictures of the boy sitting in his father’s lap as his dad showed the boy how to play different chords on the guitar. On the next page, there was a full-page picture of the boy dancing in front of his family as his father played the guitar, his grandfather clapped a beat, and his brother watched him dance. This made the experience of dancing the flamenco more realistic for me and it allowed me to relate to another person who was learning about the same topic. Another reason I liked this book is for the pronunciation guide and glossary in the back of the book. Throughout the text, the author used Spanish vocabulary that was italicized within the sentences. I found myself getting hung up on those words and phrases such as “rasgueado” and “Asi se canta!” and spent a lot of extra time trying to pronounce them in my head and trying to understand what they meant. When I noticed myself doing this, I went to the back of the book and found the pronunciation guide and it helped make reading the phrases much easier. Overall, the big idea of this book was to inform the reader of the flamenco dance and enlighten them on the culture, history, and importance of the dance. ( )
  mspisa1 | Mar 24, 2014 |
Good, informative introduction with details on cultural and historical roots. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
4Q 3P
This is a fun and interesting book with a great history and easy introduction to flamenco. Most kids will enjoy the movement, but may not be interesting for all children- might be more popular with girls rather than boys. ( )
  daisyacg | Apr 27, 2012 |

Lee & Low Books

An edition of this book was published by Lee & Low Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,600,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible