Jagannath: Stories by Karin Tidbeck

Jagannath: Stories (edition 2012)

by Karin Tidbeck

Info:Cheeky Frawg Books (2012), Paperback, 142 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013 challenge

Jagannath: Stories by Karin Tidbeck

The Inner City by Karen Heuler (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Weird, slightly dark, occasionally wry and perceptive short stories that don't fall back on genre tropes.

This book was perfect for the #weirdathon challenge this month. Interesting, creepy, and some downright weird short stories- so if any of those are your jam, I definitely recommend you pick it up! ( )
  theshrinkette | Mar 29, 2016 |
This volume is so short that it's barely a book (134 pages). Are these all of the short stories that Tidbeck's written? Why not put more in? This is not enough! I hope that her other writing is translated into English, because this is an excellent (if brief) collection.

I would highly recommend these stories for fans of Kelly Link and Theodora Goss. (As well as Ursula LeGuin, who blurbed it, and Elizabeth Hand, who wrote the introduction.)

Contains:

Beatrice - "If you love someone, set them free." If they don't come back... oh well. A steampunk tale of a man in love with an airship and a woman in love with a steam engine. Bizarre, disturbing, and an incisive commentary of the different types of feelings which we might call 'love.'

Some Letters for Ove Lindstrom - An estranged son finds his alcoholic father dead, and writes letters thinking back to when everything went wrong - when his mother disappeared. An effective mix of modern-day sensibilities and folklore.

Miss Nyberg and I - A glimpse out of the corner of an eye turns into a story that might be more true than its author guessed.

Rebecka - What if God insisted on repeatedly 'saving' a suicidal person, refusing to let them take their own life? What extremes might that person be driven to? A fantastic story that captures the harrowing feeling of friendship with a suicidal person.

Herr Cederberg - Escape from the cruelty of this world in an airship. Or is it a metaphor for suicide? Or is it transcendence? Reminded me of a less fleshed-out version of Theodora Goss' "The Wings of Meister Wilhelm."

Who Is Arvid Pekon? - A man is employed in a call center where the job involves pretending to be whoever it might be that the caller wishes to speak to. That's weird. But it gets weirder.

Brita's Holiday Village - A journal from a writer who takes a cottage in the off-season to get some work done in peace and quiet, and unexpectedly encounters something fragile and amazing.

Reindeer Mountain - Two sisters, rivals. A conflict over a family heirloom. A family tale, folklore about the mysterious Sidhe-like 'vittra.' One girl has always dreamed of other worlds. She'd be delighted to be swept off by a fairy lover to 'under the hill.' But that's not what happens.

Cloudberry Jam - Reminded me of a warped version of Thumbelina. A woman creates herself a child - but it's not a real human child, and can't be what she wants.

Pyret - A faux encyclopedia entry on an imaginary creature, read like it belongs in one of Jeff VanDerMeer's collections.

Augusta Prima - A look into what it might be like to live under a faery mound - from a fairy's point of view. Fairly horrifying.

Aunts - A further exploration of a element mentioned in passing in Augusta Prima. Like the preceding story, strongly horrific, but also sad.

Jagannath - A very China Mieville-esque story about a group of humans who have lived for generations inside a giant insect, dependent on it for every aspect of their lives. But their 'Mother' is dying... Grotesque and memorable. ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Much of what passes for "dreamlike" is something much less than that. This is the real deal. Unsettling; murkily symbolic; attractive and frighteningly repulsive in turn. This is "fantastic fiction" in most every sense of the word, and fiction that, for all of that, feels very grounded in the human being. I'll definitely read more Tidbeck as books and stories become available. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is an amazing collection. I picked it up initially because of the cover art (it is a style I wish genre fiction used more often), without having heard of Tidbeck before. Reading it, I thought it was excellent: Tidbeck has a spare, thoughtful style and her stories are vivid, unusual, and not infrequently creepy. Every piece in the collection is strong.

But this collection is not just good: it has traveled with me. I don't have a long memory for short stories. I don't tend to return to them, re-read them, and collect them the way I do with novels. But I'm writing this a month later, and I am still turning these stories over in my head, looking for hidden places. ( )
1 vote eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |
Karin Tidbeck's got something crazy going on and I am just so glad that she exists. This book of 13 short stories is a quick, baffling, and exciting read. They were translated from Swedish to English and didn't manage to lose any of their Scandinavian weirdness. They're often dark, often whimsical, and always beautifully written and imagined. I still can't stop thinking about the unique plots and characters that inhabited Tidbeck's worlds, whether I fully understood them or not.

One of my favorites is "Brita's Holiday Village", which you can read here. Another is "Pyret" which is a fascinating story presented like a research essay. It's about a creature that shape shifts to hide among herd animals like cows and eventually, in the case of one village that's mentioned, people. It changes from historical to present-time when she visits the old mostly abandoned village to see if there are any pyrets still there. What she finds is disturbing, it almost feels like horror. The ending is so poignant, it took my breath away. All of her stories had that kind of effect on me.

A story that shows off just how bizarre these stories can get is "Aunts." It's one of, if I remember correctly, two stories that are set in a kind of antiquated, royal, Alice in Wonderland kind of world. There are a set of three women whose sole purpose in life is to eat. A lot. So much so that they can't move. They're brought food in this little dome in an orchard until they actually burst. Once that whole mess is cleaned up, typically a new tiny aunt is clinging to the old one's heart. The story explores what happens when there isn't a tiny aunt waiting inside. Going to be honest, I had no idea what was going on, but it was certainly interesting and disturbing.

This hardly scratches the surface of the stories. There are people who are in love with machines, human bodies run like air ships by tinier people inside (sort of), world changing telemarketing, alternate dimensions, creature creation, fights with god, and more. If you're willing to open your mind for some really fantastical, almost mythical stories, Karen Tidbeck is an incredible writer with amazingly original stories to tell. They're inspired by sci-fi, folklore, and Nordic tradition. I heard that she has a novel out in Swedish, and I'm devastated that it is not translated and in my hands right now. I was really impressed by this collection of stories and can't wait to read more of Tidbeck's.
1 vote outlandishlit | Jun 9, 2014 |
It’s a slim volume, and some of the stories are only a few pages long, but it’s not quite like anything you’ve seen, even though you may hear vague echoes of everyone from Kafka to Borges to Tove Jansson.
added by karenb | editLocus, Gary K. Wolfe (Nov 14, 2012)

For you, dear reader, something wonderful — and weird — is going to happen if you open this book.

It's waiting for you.
added by karenb | editNPR, Alan Cheuse (Oct 31, 2012)

By turns brilliant and indecipherably cryptic, this book will capture the imaginations of fans of experimental fantasy and science fiction and is a fine launch for Cheeky Frawg, a new press dedicated to international and translated fiction.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 24, 2012)

Karin Tidbeckprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hand, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A collection of fantastical short stories by Swedish author Karin Tidbeck.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,122,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible