Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott…

Flappers and Philosophers (1920)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

An excellent collection of short stories covering the early lives of two products of the Jazz Age. ( )
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
I decided to reread this collection after seeing the heading of a Guardian article comparing this anthology with Fitzgerald’s later ‘All the Sad Young Men’. The book opens with perhaps its most positive and fanciful story ‘The Offshore Pirate’. It has that mosaic of colours that I seem to associate with Fitzgerald – they’re certainly a key part of the symbolism in ‘The Great Gatsby’. Here, though, I think they’re to conjure up the romantic element of life with colours used ten times alone in the first paragraph, blue and gold being the predominant ones. It is the ‘unlikely story’ it’s identified as in this opening paragraph. A study, perhaps, of a selfish, spoilt girl, it didn’t really grip me at all, not even her volte face at the end. I found it all a bit laboured and predictable.

After this start, I think the stories become progressively morose. Sally Carrol’s other side where ‘there’s a sort of energy – the part of me that may be useful somewhere’ is not developed in the snobbish north and from the way Fitzgerald uses almost the same words at the end as at the beginning when Sally Carrol is picked up to go for a swim with Clark, it would seem that she won’t make anything of her life. The famous ‘The Cut-Glass Bowl’ plunges more deeply into negativity albeit with a touch of melodrama at the end. It’s another story of thwarted desires. Midway through the book, then, the reader recognises that this is no celebration of life. Maybe the last stories are more positive – if you see Dalrymple’s crimes paying off and being punched helping your morality as positives.

Of course these are Fitzgerald’s early stories, written first of all for magazines, hence perhaps the overdone endings such as the one in ‘Bernice Bobs her Hair’, a story that seems really dated now as well as too pat in its revengeful ending. When I think of these coming from the same person who wrote ‘The Diamond as big as the Ritz and ‘The Great Gatsby’, they’re a let-down but obviously they were to lead on to better things when he had a freer rein. ( )
  evening | May 21, 2013 |
Okay, so the characters weren't all entirely believable. But so much fun to read! Bernice Bobs Her Hair was especially great, while Head And Shoulders was somewhere in-between tragic/hilarious/vaguely horrific. It was my first time reading Fitzgerald and going by what other people said I hadn't expected him to be so entertaining! ( )
  Merinde | Mar 31, 2013 |
"Flappers" was an OK book, but except for the widely-known "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" and a gem called "The Cut-Glass Bowl" this book was more of a collection of shallow characters in unsurprising situations.

It's a fine book to have on your nightstand, and to read a story as you fall asleep. But there isn't much here that I'll ever come back to for a re-read. ( )
  phlll | Feb 22, 2013 |
This book consists of several collections of short stories by Fitzgerald, namely ‘Flappers and Philosophers’ (1920), ‘Tales of the Jazz Age’ (1922), ‘All the Sad Young Men’ (1926), ‘Taps at Reveille’ (1935) and uncollected stories.

As with all short stories, some are hugely enjoyable and others less so. All of the stories however seem to have a melancholy, or an air of regret about them. Fitzgerald often wrote about disillusion and disappointment, but he did it so eloquently and beautifully that they were a pleasure to read even while you are commiserating with the protagonist.

My favourite stories were ‘Bernice Bobs Her Hair’, ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ (which I have read before, but which I read again as part of this book, and again enjoyed greatly), ‘The Rough Crossing’ and the various Pat Hobby tales, which feature among the uncollected stories.

The only issue I have with short stories (any short stories, not just these) is that they tend to end rather abruptly; that is the case with some of the stories here, but the writing is so lovely to read that it really doesn’t matter. I prefer novels, where I can really get to know a character, but as short story writers go, Fitzgerald is up there with the best of them. ( )
  Ruth72 | Nov 29, 2012 |
"Not the most superficial reader can fail to recognize Mr. Fitzgerald's talent and genius. . . . It is the blatant tone of levity which runs through his work that almost drowns out the perception of this literary substance. But its overtones are unmistakable. Mr. Fitzgerald is working out an idiom, and it is an idiom at once universal, American and individual."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times (Sep 26, 1920)

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mizener, ArthurIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This unlikely story begins on a sea that was a blue dream, as colorful as blue-silk stockings, and beneath a sky as blue as the irises of children's eyes.
Please do not combine this, the original 1920 collection, with the 2010 collection of the same name, as the contents are not the same.

Contains:

Bernice Bobs Her Hair

Benediction

Dalyrimple Goes Wrong

The Four Fists

First published in 1920, this volume marked Fitzgerald's entry into the realm of the short story. It includes "Bernice Bobs Her Hair, " "Head and Shoulders, " and other beloved tales.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

Presents a collection of short stories describing the glamour and cynicism of the 1920s.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible