HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

If I Die by Rachel Vincent
Loading...
MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2393248,266 (4.42)3

None.

None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 3 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 32 (next | show all)
Rachel Vincent is something else.
I just...

This book was simply so awesome and had me all the time either laughing, crying, or raging. Most of the things that happened shattered everything we've been reading since the very beginning, and I mean that in the best way possible. Vincent had me laughing in the middle of my tears. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele

Und weiter geht’s mit Rachel Vincents Geschichte von Banshees und Co… Mittlerweile bei Band 5 (von insgesamt sieben wenn ich mich nicht irre) angelangt, weiß ich ehrlich gesagt nicht mehr so ganz, was ich von der ganzen Geschichte wirklich halten soll. Serien sind für mich sowieso immer so eine Sache. Mal ganz abgesehen davon, dass ich den aktuellen Trilogie-Wahn im Jugendbuchbereich einfach nur nervtötend finde, muss eine Serie schon wirklich gut und durchgehend spannend sein, damit ich nicht nach zwei Bänden aufgebe. Und die „Soul Screamers“-Serie war leider eben nicht immer gut sondern im Gegenteil eher ziemlich holprig und wenig konstant, was die Qualität der einzelnen Bände angeht. Daher war meine Vorfreude auf Band fünf auch nur mäßig.

Allerdings hat sich das Ganze dann widererwarten als doch ziemlich gut herausgestellt. Das lag vor allem an Kaylee mit der ich vorher hauptsächlich aus einem Grund ziemliche Schwierigkeiten hatte: wegen ihres doch ziemlich kindischen Verhaltens. Mit „Berühre meine Seele“ kommt die Geschichte aber zum Glück endlich an dem Punkt an, an dem Kaylee erwachsen wird – und zwar ziemlich eindrucksvoll. So gibt es in Band fünf der Serie dann auch wieder jede Menge Probleme, mit denen Kaylee zu kämpfen hat, und diesmal scheinen sie sogar noch ein Stückchen schwieriger zu sein, als alles, was sich der jungen Banshee vorher so in den Weg gestellt hat. Das perfekte Szenario also, damit Vincents Protagonistin unter Beweis stellen kann, dass sie ihre Probleme auch auf reifere und erwachsenere Art angehen kann als zuvor.

Die Handlung selbst hat mich – wie eigentlich bei fast allen vorherigen Bänden – erneut überzeugen können. Allein Rachel Vincents vielfältiges Mythenkonstrukt mit all den fantastischen Wesen, die sich rund um das Thema Tod scharren, ist schon wahnsinnig faszinierend und wirkt auch im fünften Teil der Serie noch frisch und innovativ, nicht zuletzt deswegen, weil die Autorin immer wieder neue Figuren und Wesen einführt und weitere mythologische Geschichtsschnipsel enthüllt. Für Mythenfans wie mich lohnt es sich daher schon allein deswegen bei dieser Serie am Ball zu bleiben, auch wenn die Charaktere bzw. ihr immer wiedermal nervig kindisches Verhalten den Lesespaß bislang leider etwas gedämpft haben. Ein Problem, das aber – wie bereits ja schon gesagt – in diesem Band endlich, endlich ein Ende nimmt.

Zwar gibt es nach wie vor Verbesserungspotential bei den Charakteren, gerade auf Ebene der Nebenfiguren, aber das Hauptproblem, das ich bislang mit Kaylee und Co. hatte, hat die Autorin erfolgreich angegangen, wofür die Geschichte der „Soul Screamers“ alles in allem 4,5 Sterne von mir bekommt. Denn nach diesem Band habe ich dann doch wieder richtig Lust darauf auch die weiteren Bände zu lesen. ( )
  FiliaLibri | Nov 10, 2015 |
Rachel Vincent has done it again.

If I Die is the fifth book in the amazing and ever popular Soul Screamers series. Never before have I heard of the killing off of the main character without ending the series...yet Rachel did it, and she did it in style.

Kaylee Cavanaugh, a bean sidhe who sings for people's souls when they die, learns that she's going to die in a week. How? She's on the reaper list.(Specifically the special list, which means she has no second chance exchanges) Which brings me to Tod, who is the local reaper. Tod is simply amazing. From book one, I thought Kaylee should have been with him instead of Nash. In book four, I was mad at Tod for being mean to Kaylee, but I was still Team Tod. Now, in book five, Tod is put into the spotlight and revealed in all his glory. I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say that Team Tod has just become much happier now!

Now, plot wise....pretty epic. I know Rachel said that it was hard for her to write the book following this, Before I Wake, because it was really hard to top If I Die. I don't blame her. This book was pretty amazing. Simply knowing the main character is going to die is a pretty big plot right there, but executing it the way she did was simply amazing. I thought I had the ending predicted from back to chapter five or so...but I was wrong. And then TOD! Oh, I nearly cried. (It's really cruel to play with the heartstrings of fans. D:) So, needless to say, the action and plot was amazing (even if just the teensiest bit predictable).

As for characters, they were just as awesome as ever. Kaylee has evolved and I like her better than I did in book four. Nash has stayed the same, which is nice that someone is consitent. He does get pretty bad at the end but it still follows the path Nash would've taken anyway. I'm glad he didn't chance, and I'm also glad he's out of the picture. Sabine is badass as always. Tod...amazing. That's all I shall say.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I can't wait 'till June for Before I Wake! ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars

I hate Nash... just saying... ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Whoa. I knew this series got better at a certain point, based on ratings from trusted reviewers, but it’s still startling to go from steady 3 star books to a much higher rating. I’ve been waiting for Vincent to bring it, and she totally did. If I Die gets a bit darker and raises the stakes. Also, it’s a much more emotional read than the previous ones.

Up to this point, I really never had any feels about the Soul Screamers series. I’ve enjoyed it, but my black heart felt nothing in particular. Here, the feels appeared. Surprisingly enough, they were pretty much all romance-based. I say surprisingly, because I wasn’t sure how I felt about the romance and from a logical level I’m still not entirely certain. What I can say for sure is that Vincent does a really good job setting up the switchover to Tod. I still find the love triangle with brothers frustrating and am a bit disappointed that she and Tod couldn’t continue to be good friends. At the same time, they’re very shippable. As you can tell, I am conflicted.

The reason this works so well despite my complex feelings on the matter and the source of the feelings is the truth bombs Tod drops left and right. Tod has seen a lot through the course of the series, and he’s gone from a fairly passive observer to a major player in the game. His arguments for why he cares for Kaylee and for why they’re better suited than she and Nash are accurate. In fact, Kaylee suddenly becomes a lot more likable once the door closes on her and Nash. It’s shown that they’re not necessarily a good couple, though they wanted to make it work. Free of him, she’s a better person, more free to carry out those impulses she always had to argue with Nash about throughout the whole book; he never wanted her to help others or risk anything, but that’s the kind of person she is.

The plot follows along the standard mystery lines of the other books in the series. The difference is that the mystery has a more personal impact, because, at the same time, Kaylee’s faced with knowledge of her own impending, irreversible death. I think the plot was also helped by the fact that the adults weren’t kept out of the loop this time. The other books felt a bit like child’s play, no matter how dangerous, because, ultimately, there was always a cavalry of trained adults they could bring in if shit hit the fan. In this case, the adults were informed and the outcome still didn’t look bright.

If I Die had two main downsides. The first is that I totally called the ending in chapter one. Not every detail, but it was pretty obvious how everything was going to resolve. The second is that things do turn out rather conveniently. The ending could have been much more heartbreaking. Then again, this has been a fairly fluffy paranormal series, and its fans wouldn’t have been pleased with the sort of bleak ending I would have loved.

Reading the Soul Screamers has now paid off. I only hope this quality can be sustained through the next couple of books, or even improved on. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Nov 6, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 32 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Banshee Kaylee Cavanaugh and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend, join forces to get rid of the new teacher-incubus Mr. Beck ... before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
2 avail.
98 wanted
4 pay1 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.42)
0.5
1
1.5
2 1
2.5 1
3 5
3.5
4 31
4.5 3
5 42

Audible.com

An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible