The Playful Brain: The Surprising Science of…

The Playful Brain: The Surprising Science of How Puzzles Improve Your Mind (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Richard Restak M.D., Scott Kim

Member:Naren559
Title:The Playful Brain: The Surprising Science of How Puzzles Improve Your Mind
Authors:Richard Restak M.D.
Other authors:Scott Kim
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages

The Playful Brain: The Surprising Science of How Puzzles Improve Your Mind by Richard Restak (2010)

I do highly recommend this. Some of the puzzles were too easy for me, some of the text was just a bit difficult for me to focus on, but I found it just as interesting and enlightening as I'd hoped. I'm also glad I bought a copy so I could take my time with it.

"Whenever you work on improving your memory, you simultaneously contribute to your imaginative and creative capacities."

(If this seems wrong to you, you'll have to read the book. Just know that his justification for that claim convinced me. ;)

"[S]chools neglect visual and spatial thinking, focusing instead on developing language and mathematical skills.... gifted visual-spatial thinkers are often seen as less intelligent than they are."

I have a copy available and will ship it gratis to any US member, as soon as my son is done with it. I will enclose a sheet of transparency film so you can solve the pencil puzzles without marring the book, but rather by tracing, as I did. (You'll have to find your own dry-erase or whiteboard marker). ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

Restak, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kim, ScottPuzzlessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A leading neuroscientist and a noted puzzle designer team up to reveal how solving puzzles improves one's brain function. This engaging and informative book gives readers the chance to work puzzles while learning how to boost their brain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,743,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible