Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor

Akata Witch (2011)

by Nnedi Okorafor

Series: Akata Witch (1)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (questionablepotato, amanda4242)
    questionablepotato: I loved this book(which is admittedly better written than the HP stuff) for the same reasons I loved Harry Potter. Both books have likeable kids learning about themselves and their worlds, a vivid and unique sense of place, and really, really awesome world building.… (more)
    The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi (questionablepotato)
    AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers by Ivor W. Hartmann (goddesspt2)

This book was really interesting. It was a bit hard for me to get into at first because I don't usually read stories with such young characters. This made it a bit more difficult to connect with them. That being said, the fact that this story was set in Nigeria was fascinating. I don't think I've ever read a story set there before, and the author's writing really made the world of this book come alive. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a unique, refreshing read. Thanks to First to Read for the advance copy. ( )
  carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |
As much as I really wanted to like this book, I don't think it was for me the way that the Binti books were. I read a fair amount of YA, so I don't think it was because this was written for a younger audience than the Binti books were, though that might have something to do with it. I also don't think that it was because this is a new and different system of magic based on a culture that I'm not familiar with; usually I'm all about the new and weird, and this new system of magic was no exception. I mean, the magic rewards your for gaining knowledge and mastery! That's pretty cool. And it's not that I didn't like Sunny; she's bright and resilient and everything that you could hope for in a protagonist.

I think the problem that I'm having is the way that Sunny moves through the magical world that she's introduced to, and through the story itself. She's dragged into the world of magic, initiated without an explanation, and constantly on the back foot throughout the whole story. She does what she's told to do, and she doesn't have much choice because of how little information she's given. When she and her friends triumph over the big bad, it's not because of anything that Sunny has learned, or any of her special skills, it's because of who she is. Not because of an increased understanding or acceptance of who she is on her part, but simply because of who she is. That felt off to me, like it could have been handled slightly better?

In any case, this book is still really good, Sunny's lack of agency in a world she doesn't understand aside. The characters are fun and the magic system is fascinating. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants more Okorafor after reading Binti.

This review first appeared on my blog. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
A very short, fun story. Maybe too short. There is almost no buildup till Sunny, the main character, is casting spells, turning herself invisible and walking through doors. And the ending, vanquishing the evil kidnapper, is trivial and anticlimactic. It's all easy. The plot doesn't make much sense—why is the community of magicians letting the kidnapper do his thing for months on end, while they wait for Sunny and her friends to get ready?—until one realizes that the community is possibly equally evil, fueled by bloodsports à la the Hunger Games. The magic is quirky, amusing and original. Don't think too hard. ( )
  breic | Sep 19, 2018 |
I don't usually read YA novels, but Dr. Okorafor is one of my favorite writers and I am trying to read everything she writes. This novel is set in Nigeria and focuses on a young woman just entering adolescence who discovers she is one of those people endowed with magical powers. The novel continues to describe her education, her friendships with three other young magical people, and the challenge the four of them must face. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and look forward to reading the sequel, "Akata Warrior". ( )
  nmele | Sep 7, 2018 |
I definitely fell in love with this book. The only critique I can think of right now is that in the beginning the dialogue (and narration) felt a bit off, like it was more meant for the screen than for paper. But it's really really good regardless. This is how I like my fantasy. And also, finally somebody does four teenager teams right. Sunny and her friends are just lovely. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
"Akata Witch" is a much-needed addition to the many titles featuring Caucasian protagonists — one that will appeal to readers who are interested in foreign cultures, tradition and beliefs, or those who live between cultures themselves.

Okorafor, NnediAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoover, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamaki, JillianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here, in the new venture, the extraordinary, the magical, the wonderful, and even the strange come out of the ordinary and the familiar.

--Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
To Sandra Marume, the spunky Igbo girl with the sharp tongue and mysterious ways, who just happened to be albino.

It's been awhile, but I hope I captured you well.

And to my mother, who was terrified of masquerades as a kid and still is.  This book dances with them.  Enjoy.
I've always been fascinated by candles.  (prologue)
The moment Sunny walked into the school yard, people started pointing.  (Chapter 1)
Her dumb brothers never cooked. She didn't think they even knew how! A human being who needs food to live but cannot prepare that food to eat? Pathetic.
So there you have it. All you need to know to get started. As I have repeated incessantly throughout this book, there is no direction you can turn that does not face you toward certain death.
The only way you can earn chittim [money] is by learning. The more you learn, the more chittim you earn. Knowledge is the center of all things.
People are too focused on money. It's supposed to be a tool, not the prize to be won.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670011967, Hardcover)

Twelve-year-old Sunny lives in Nigeria, but she was born American. Her features are African, but she's albino. She's a terrific athlete, but can't go out into the sun to play soccer. There seems to be no place where she fits. And then she discovers something amazing - she is a "free agent," with latent magical power. Soon she's part of a quartet of magic students, studying the visible and invisible, learning to change reality. But will it be enough to help them when they are asked to catch a career criminal who knows magic too?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Sunny Nwazue, an American-born albino child of Nigerian parents, moves with her family back to Nigeria, where she learns that she has latent magical powers which she and three similarly gifted friends use to catch a serial killer.

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible