Akata witch by Nnedi Okorafor

Akata witch (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Nnedi Okorafor

Title:Akata witch
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor
Info:New York : Viking, 2011.
Tags:age: young adult, genre: fantasy, read 2013

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor (2011)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (questionablepotato)
    questionablepotato: I loved this book(which is admittedly better written than the HP stuff) for the same reasons I loved Harry Potter. Both books have likeable kids learning about themselves and their worlds, a vivid and unique sense of place, and really, really awesome world building.… (more)
    AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers by Nnedi Okorafor (goddesspt2)
    The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi (questionablepotato)

Summary: The story of a young girl named Sunny who was born in the U.S., but lives in Nigeria. She is perceived as an outsider because of her English accent, even though she can speak her native language. She enjoys playing soccer, but can't stay in the dun very long because she was born albino and has very sensitive skin. Sunny meets a new friend named Orlu that helps Sunny reveal her true talent of jukju, as she is a Leopard Person, cpable of magic. She uses her new abilities and moves to a place where other Leopard people live and fights the evilness that arises in the story through her magic and strength.

Personal reflection: The idea that Sunny uses magic to try and save innocent lives taken in the leopard world shows students important concepts like determination, strength, and bravery. I liked the message of the story and the character of Sunny, because even though she is different, it ends up being a blessing in her life. This is important idea for students.

Class use: Text set for mystery fantasy, character building for not fitting in or not being part of the norm, read independently and compare Sunny's character before and after she realized she was a Leopard Person
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 30, 2015 |
While I found Akata Witch fun, I felt like I was the wrong age for it. It’s really more middle grade than YA. If I’d read this back when I was in middle school, I would likely have enjoyed it a lot more.

From the cover: Twelve-year-old Sunny lives in Nigeria, but she was born American. Her features are African, but she’s albino. She’s a terrific athlete, but can’t go out into the sun to play soccer. There seems to be no place where she fits. And then she discovers something amazing—she is a “free agent,” with latent magical power. Soon she’s part of a quartet of magic students, studying the visible and invisible, learning to change reality. But will it be enough to help them when they are asked to catch a career criminal who knows magic too?

The writing of the prologue was beautiful, and I wish that the rest of the book had stayed with that first person style. Not that the writing of the rest was bad – I didn’t have any problems with it – but I think the prologue had the best writing.

In a lot of ways, I would compare Akata Witch to the first Harry Potter book. Both are aimed at the same age group and share a general story type: preteen discovers secret magic powers and becomes part of a magical community. Of course, the Harry Potter books are about a white British boy, while Akata Witch is about a Nigerian-American albino girl. That alone sets it out from many of the similar types of stories.

The focus is more on Sunny discovering her own powers and learning about the magical community than on the plot mentioned in the last sentence of the blurb. In fact, that entire plot really only took a chapter or two at the end.

Sunny deals with sexism at numerous points in the book. She always questions it or challenges it, and I’m glad Okorafor took that approach.

In general, Akata Witch is an enjoyable and imaginative book that I’d recommend to people looking for a middle grade fantasy book, especially one with diverse characters and setting.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jan 13, 2015 |
I really loved this book. I give it unreserved praise. Here's what stood out, while it is fresh in my mind. First: the characters were engaging and relatable. They appeared human: endearing for their foibles as much as their strengths. Second: the conflict was engaging and the resolution reasonable. Super-hero stories can be tricky, this one was managed well. Nnedi paced it VERY well. Third: it pointed to richer and deeper stories in many directions. This adult reader finds a lot of YA fails here. Okorafor seeds her work with hints and clues about music, history, culture, and politics. Not enough to make it a didactic novel, but enough to make a keen teen's head buzz with curiosity about Afro-pop, Biafra, and oil politics.

This is a triumph. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Like Harry Potter transposed to Nigeria, in the very best way possible. Coming into your heritage, witchcraft, best friends, and a powerful enemy combine with elements of Nigerian (Igbo and Efik) culture and folklore to create a wonderful, entertaining, and enlightening read. ( )
  LibrarianMaven | Jun 7, 2014 |
This was my favorite book of 2011. Themes include Being Different (inside and out), Finding Friends, Learning Through Reading and Facing your Fears, as well as Saving the World with Magic.
I was particularly pleased by the author's description of a soccer match. I played soccer competitively for 8 years, and she nailed it. Recommended to all readers. ( )
  netmouse | Jan 7, 2014 |
"Akata Witch" is a much-needed addition to the many titles featuring Caucasian protagonists — one that will appeal to readers who are interested in foreign cultures, tradition and beliefs, or those who live between cultures themselves.
Here, in the new venture, the extraordinary, the magical, the wonderful, and even the strange come out of the ordinary and the familiar.

--Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
To Sandra Marume, the spunky Igbo girl with the sharp tongue and mysterious ways, who just happened to be albino.

It's been awhile, but I hope I captured you well.

And to my mother, who was terrified of masquerades as a kid and still is.  This book dances with them.  Enjoy.
I've always been fascinated by candles.  (prologue)
The moment Sunny walked into the school yard, people started pointing.  (Chapter 1)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670011967, Hardcover)

Twelve-year-old Sunny lives in Nigeria, but she was born American. Her features are African, but she's albino. She's a terrific athlete, but can't go out into the sun to play soccer. There seems to be no place where she fits. And then she discovers something amazing - she is a "free agent," with latent magical power. Soon she's part of a quartet of magic students, studying the visible and invisible, learning to change reality. But will it be enough to help them when they are asked to catch a career criminal who knows magic too?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:05 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Sunny Nwazue, an American-born albino child of Nigerian parents, moves with her family back to Nigeria, where she learns that she has latent magical powers which she and three similarly gifted friends use to catch a serial killer.

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,786,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible