Akata witch by Nnedi Okorafor

Akata witch (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Nnedi Okorafor

2491946,085 (3.97)12
Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Akata witch
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor
Info:New York : Viking, 2011.
Tags:age: young adult, genre: fantasy, read 2013

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor (2011)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (questionablepotato)
    questionablepotato: I loved this book(which is admittedly better written than the HP stuff) for the same reasons I loved Harry Potter. Both books have likeable kids learning about themselves and their worlds, a vivid and unique sense of place, and really, really awesome world building.… (more)
    AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers by Nnedi Okorafor (goddesspt2)
    The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi (questionablepotato)

Like Harry Potter transposed to Nigeria, in the very best way possible. Coming into your heritage, witchcraft, best friends, and a powerful enemy combine with elements of Nigerian (Igbo and Efik) culture and folklore to create a wonderful, entertaining, and enlightening read. ( )
  kahansen | Jun 7, 2014 |
This was my favorite book of 2011. Themes include Being Different (inside and out), Finding Friends, Learning Through Reading and Facing your Fears, as well as Saving the World with Magic.
I was particularly pleased by the author's description of a soccer match. I played soccer competitively for 8 years, and she nailed it. Recommended to all readers. ( )
  netmouse | Jan 7, 2014 |
Sunny and her family moved back to Nigeria a few years before the events of the book take place. One day Sunny discovers she is different. A Leopard Person, capable of doing magic. She forms a small coven around her, starts to learn (and is now in a society where knowledge is more valuable than money), and may have to deal with a serial killer going after young children in her area.
Nnedi has an incredible imagination and it almost reads like something from the Harry Potter universe, only using a West African modality instead of Hogwart's European magical model. ( )
  quantumbutterfly | Sep 12, 2013 |
Although the characters in this are textually in their early teens, they felt much younger to me; the whole book did not feel like a YA novel, it felt like a children's book. Can I put my finger on why? No. (That would be obvious.)

This was definitely one of those fantasy novels where the main characters Have A Destiny. There was very little suspense in the climactic battle because, seriously, no one was going to die, the damn novel was told in first person. And I was INCREDIBLY NOT HAPPY that the ending was all, "no, actually, what matters most is your bloodline, that's how you get your abilities la la la!" ( )
1 vote cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this fantastic tale of a young American Nigerian girl who discovers her special powers in a candle flame. She doesn't quite belong anywhere- born in the US of Igbo parents, moves back to Nigeria as an adolescent, and to top it off, she's albino. She meets up with some other kids who are... different, and otherworldly adventures ensue. There are elements of this story that moved too fast for me, and certain plot points that were a hair too tidy. Neither of these things interfered with my enjoyment of the story, though. I especially liked the African setting, and the descriptions of food made me want to try everything! ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Here, in the new venture, the extraordinary, the magical, the wonderful, and even the strange come out of the ordinary and the familiar.

--Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
To Sandra Marume, the spunky Igbo girl with the sharp tongue and mysterious ways, who just happened to be albino.

It's been awhile, but I hope I captured you well.

And to my mother, who was terrified of masquerades as a kid and still is.  This book dances with them.  Enjoy.
I've always been fascinated by candles.  (prologue)
The moment Sunny walked into the school yard, people started pointing.  (Chapter 1)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670011967, Hardcover)

Twelve-year-old Sunny lives in Nigeria, but she was born American. Her features are African, but she's albino. She's a terrific athlete, but can't go out into the sun to play soccer. There seems to be no place where she fits. And then she discovers something amazing - she is a "free agent," with latent magical power. Soon she's part of a quartet of magic students, studying the visible and invisible, learning to change reality. But will it be enough to help them when they are asked to catch a career criminal who knows magic too?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:17 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Sunny Nwazue, an American-born albino child of Nigerian parents, moves with her family back to Nigeria, where she learns that she has latent magical powers which she and three similarly gifted friends use to catch a serial killer.

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,775,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible