Big Nate on a Roll by Lincoln Peirce

Big Nate on a Roll (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Lincoln Peirce

Series: Big Nate (3)

Member:JosephAM
Title:Big Nate on a Roll
Authors:Lincoln Peirce
Info:HarperCollins Children's Books (2011), Paperback, 256 pages

Big Nate on a Roll by Lincoln Peirce (2011)

As these are all starting to blend together in their mediocrity, I'll just affix a conversation I had with some students about Big Nate:
One of my students caught me reading this and they were SOOO excited to see a teacher reading the same stuff THEY read. So, I decided to take the opportunity to ask a few students why they enjoy Big Nate. I was met with blank stares. "Well...ummmm..."
Me: If you don't like it, why do you read it?
Her: Because it's fast. We get more points for more books, so we can get quick points.
Her fellow students: *nods and murmurs of agreement*

Ah. That makes so much sense. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 11, 2018 |
I read the first Big Nate book over winter break just to see what my students were into, and I fell in love! I love finding great books for boys, especially middle grade boys, and Big Nate is so hysterical, but so well done, that I can’t wait for my own boys to read these. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jan 9, 2018 |
Young Reader Reaction: Our daughter loves Nate more than she does Wimpy Kid. She laughs her way through every book, and usually reads it cover to cover in one sitting. She talked about the skunk (cartoon) for days!

Adult Reader Reaction: With Nate, you're never sure what is going to happen next. I'm amazed that my daughter sits to read the whole book, because despite the cartoon insets, there is a lot of text on the page. It is unfortunate that Artur is such a caricature of an ESL student. Early in the book Nate describes Artur's broken English as "charming" (as written in the book). The comment - and dialogue in the book - are insensitive and overdone.

Pros: Preteens will love - and laugh out loud - this illustrated "diary" of Big Nate's life. Dormant, struggling, and avid readers will find something to love in this cartoon-ish story.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 3, 2015 |
HPB for Liam ,3.99, 04-19-2015
  trexm5qp7 | Apr 19, 2015 |
My only complaint is that there was not enough Gina! ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
I never really noticed how boring the detention room is.
Obviously my comics are too sophisticated for some people.

Big Nate is on a roll!

Nate’s a big deal in his scout troop . . . until Artur—aka Mr. Perfect—joins up. Now Nate’s stuck in second place. And Artur means business.

Will Nate take the grand prize? Or wipe out, big time?

Middle-schooler Nate Wright vies against his rival, the "perfect" Artur, to win the grand prize of a customized skateboard in their scout troop contest.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,617,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible