Hellboy: Chained Coffin and Others v. 3 by…

Hellboy: Chained Coffin and Others v. 3 (edition 2004)

by Mike Mignola

Member:othersam
Title:Hellboy: Chained Coffin and Others v. 3
Authors:Mike Mignola
Info:Dark Horse Comics,U.S. (2004), Paperback

Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others by Mike Mignola

Recently added byibbmarsh, PierreAle, bibliosk8er, private library, caess, WickedSideburns, Binnorie, trile1000

English (8)  Czech (1)  All languages (9)
Collection of short stories of sorts involving Hellboy. I liked the use of old fables, including that of Baba Yaga. I thought it was going to be more like the first two volumes, more of a continuous story line, but I still am amazed by the beautiful artwork and the writing was just as well done as the previous volumes. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Mignola is a master of bending folklore -- very gently -- to serve his narrative purposes. The title story of this collection is a grand example of this talent at work. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Great art and storytelling, natch. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
This is such a great collection of short Hellboy pieces, most coming from old stories and fairytales and reworked to include the World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator. In pieces like The Chained Coffin and Almost Colossus, we get to see more of the Hellboy story started in Seed of Destruction. With Chained Coffin, we get Hellboy's origins prior to his arrival on Earth in 1944, and what a dark and terrible tale that is. Almost Colossus picks up where Liz Sherman and the homunculus leave off in Wake the Devil, as another brilliant character is brought into the fold of the Hellboy universe (named Roger by Hellboy, and what better name for a homunculus, I ask).

What I love about Mignola's writing is how easily he blends fairytales and legends from all over the world and makes them just an average thing in the life of Hellboy.

Hard to pick an absolute favorite in this one, because they are all so good; but The Corpse, The Iron Shoes, and The Wolves of Saint August definitely top the list (along with the title story, of course). Also, I love the perspective of the animals in The Baba Yaga, seeing how nonhumans view these beings that Hellboy often finds himself fighting against. Most of Hellboy's opponents are wholly evil, which is what makes them so compelling. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 1, 2013 |
This trade paperback collects various mini-series, one-shots, and back-up features, including: Hellboy: The Wolves of Saint August; Hellboy: The Corpse and the Iron Shoes; Hellboy: Almost Colossus; Dark Horse Presents #100, Part 2; and Hellboy: Christmas Special, along with a gallery.

This is a terrific collection of Hellboy shorts. Most are one-offs that involve a minor (but interesting) investigation of some kind of occult/paranormal phenomenon rather than advancing Hellboy’s backstory or the cosmology of the setting.

Note: This review features mild plot spoilers -- read at your own risk. I’ll briefly offer some opinions on the various stories included in this collection.

The Corpse: This is a cute, fun, horrific, poignant tale of Hellboy tangling with the fae folk as he tries to recover a kidnapped child who has been exchanged with a changeling. Probably my favorite in this collection.

The Iron Shoes: A quick little story – just a vignette really, as we have almost no context – about Hellboy coming to blow with another of the fae folk, one who likes to wear big stompy boots. Fun, but no much to it.

The Baba Yaga: Hellboy has a run-in with the infamous Russian witch Baba Yaga. Another pretty short one, but interesting, especially as this encounter is referenced in Hellboy: Wake the Devil.

The Christmas Underground: It’s a “Christmas story” only in that Hellboy is mistaken for Father Christmas by a dying woman. Hellboy confronts ghosts and tries to save a woman’s soul.

The Chained Coffin: Pact with the Devil kind of thing. We learn some interesting things about Hellboy’s mother and siblings.

The Wolves of St. August: Along with Almost Colossus, one of the two longest works in the collection. A terrific werewolf and cursed castle story. Great art, great story. One of the strongest entries in this collection.

Almost Colossus: Inspired by one of Clark Ashton Smith’s Averoigne stories, “The Colossus of Ylourgne,” it tells the story of what happened to Liz and the homunculus she brought back to life at the end of Hellboy: Wake the Dead. This was a massive, dangling sub-plot from that collection, so it’s very good to see it finally resolved. The story itself could have probably been just a tad more interesting, in my opinion, but still a good resolution.

This collection is highly recommended for those who enjoyed at least the first Hellboy collection. If you did, do yourself a favor and pick this one up! I give it 5 stars out of 5.

Review copyright 2010 J. Andrew Byers ( )
  bibliorex | Oct 6, 2010 |

A collection of adventures of Hellboy, a creature who was summoned by a sorcerer working for Hitler in 1944, but was raised to be a hero within the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense instead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,994,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible