dismiss

The Sixth Gun Volume 1 TP by Cullen Bunn

The Sixth Gun Volume 1 TP (edition 2011)

by Cullen Bunn, Brian Hurtt

Series: The Sixth Gun (1-6)

"During the darkest days of the Civil War, wicked cutthroats came into possession of six pistols of otherworldly power. In time, the Sixth Gun. the most dangerous of the weapons, vanished. When the gun surfaces in the hands of an innocent girl, dark forces reawaken. Vile men thought long dead set their sights on retrieving the gun and killing the girl. Only Drake Sinclair, a gunfighter with a shadowy past, stands in their way"--Publisher web site.… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:The Sixth Gun Volume 1 TP
Authors:Cullen Bunn
Other authors:Brian Hurtt
Info:Oni Press (2011), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****

The Sixth Gun Volume 1: Cold Dead Fingers by Cullen Bunn

The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (Strict31)
    Strict31: Though set in two different worlds, there is a similar idea of desolation just on the edge of established society, along with a supernatural flair added to the concept of the western

During the time of the Civil War, a group of heartless men come into possession of six pistols with strange and evil powers. Then one day, the Sixth Gun (the one with the most dangerous power) vanished. Years later, Becky, a young, innocent girl gains possession of the Sixth Gun and the cutthroat men, long thought dead, come after her to regain the gun and it's magnificent powers. The only person who can help Becky is Drake Sinclair - a gunslinger with a shady past of his own.

This is the first comic that I read on my nook and it looked beautiful. I was impressed with the colors and the drawings. I also liked the setup for this comic series. It's a western which is considered a mostly dead genre but it's got a bit of science fiction mixed in. The characters were developed well enough to get me invested in them but not quite enough that their mystery was gone. I'm looking forward to seeing more in this series.

melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I need to stop reading comics late at night, especially volumes. Because, strangely enough if it is any good then I can’t stop reading until it’s finished. Lucky for me this first volume of The Sixth Gun was only 159 pages long so it didn’t take that long time to finish it. (Luckily I only had the first volume on the ipad so I couldn’t start with volume 2...

The Sixth Gun is story about a very special gun that makes the carrier see into the future. Also the person that picks up the gun is stuck with it until…well until the he or she dies and it’s picked up by someone else. Only one person at the time can carry it, others get hurt by it if they try to pick it up. In the beginning of the comic is it a old preacher that has the gun but after his death it’s his stepdaughter that picks it up and now she together with Drake Sinclair and Billjohn O’Henry, two gunfighters, is trying to get the other five guns (all with special powers to the carrier) and also trying to stop the original owner getting his hands on the sixth gun. If he does get his gun back and the rest of the five he will unleash hell on earth...

This was a terrific read, paranormal western. How I love when those two genres mix up. Honestly I probably enjoy any genre with a lit mix of paranormal in it. But anyway it was really, really good and as soon as I have time I will start with the next volume. There are seven of them!!! (Happy) ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Gotta agree with some of the other reviewers here. This was a spectacular concept, but with terrible execution. Dull art and hackneyed writing are what ruin this book for me. The concept alone is worth two stars though. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
The second series collaboration from the creators of the excellent supernatural noir thriller [b:The Damned |1220508|The Damned Volume 1 Three Days Dead|Cullen Bunn|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1181999063s/1220508.jpg|1208989] offers a creepy, magic-infused Western complete with terrifying beasts -- living and undead -- gunfights, and the occult. Confederate General Oleander Hume seeks out the Sixth Gun, the key to unlocking an unstoppable power. Mysterious gunslinger Drake Sinclair protects the young Becky Moncrief, current owner of the powerful Sixth Gun, against Hume and his magically-enhanced henchman. Bunn's pitch perfect script, combined with the unique artistic talents of Hurtt, deliver the finest horrific western since the best of the [a:Lansdale|58971|Joe R. Lansdale|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1200406474p2/58971.jpg]-[a:Truman|58984|Timothy Truman|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg] stories of the 90s. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
Gripping stuff. A well thought out story with visceral illustrations. My heart was in my mouth at each bad turn the story took. ( )
  missizicks | May 23, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,853,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible