Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha Ashley

Twelve Days of Christmas

by Trisha Ashley

Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha Ashley was a fun romantic story that has gotten me in the Christmas mood. For the past few years the Christmas season has been a sad one for Holly Brown as her husband passed away just a couple of days before Christmas. She tries to get away from the holidays and this year a house-sitting job at a remote country home seems the perfect place to escape to.

Of course, things have a way of working themselves out and before too long, Holly finds herself hosting a family Christmas as relatives of the home owner keep showing up. Just as the heavy snowfall arrives so too does the owner of the house. He and Holly have not been getting along over the phone so she is surprised that she feels quite happy over his unexpected early return.

A lovely slow and cautious romance set against an old-fashioned Christmas with lots of baking and cooking included made Twelve Days of Christmas the perfect book for a Christmas read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 24, 2016 |
Holly, for various good reasons, does not celebrate Christmas. So when she’s asked, at the last moment, to take on a house-sitting assignment in the festive season she jumps at the chance of escaping from her well-meaning and loving family.

However she doesn't bargain for the friendliness of the people she meets, nor the way she feels oddly drawn to take on responsibilities that are nothing to do with her contract. Then, when it seems as if she might be able to escape after all, the weather takes a turn for the worse and she’s holed up with a motley crowd of people…

As with everything else I've read by Trisha Ashley there are places where the tenses are annoyingly inconsistent, but it’s a minor problem. I enjoyed this story very much and while some of the minor characters are very much caricatures, I found Holly getting right under my skin and could sympathise with her strongly. Perhaps there were rather too many people involved - I didn’t always remember who was whom, but it didn’t matter much. The most important people were very nicely done.

Recommended if you want pleasant, undemanding women's fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The mystery of her grandmother's dying words plus the journal roped me in right away, so I pressed on through the somewhat tedious first half of the book in order to hold out for that resolution. The pace and the story picked up in the second half & overall I'm glad I stuck it out! ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
This was my second seasonal read, and I really liked it. The plot is fairly simple and it plods along quite contentedly. I've seen other reviewers criticise this book because not a lot happens, I found myself enjoying the book for this very reason. The book is set in a tiny sleepy village full of mildly eccentric characters, I think this is the reason I got so drawn into the book - as a country girl I could really identify with the book.

I enjoyed Holly as a character though I couldn't always understand her motivations. Partway through the book she suddenly reveals a huge plan for the forthcoming year when she's on the phone to her best friend, I was completely taken back by this as it came out of nowhere. The character I found the most interesting was Holly's grandmother, though she only really featured through entries from her diary that Holly was reading.

One slight problem that I did have with the book was with the tenses, a couple of times it seemed that Holly's narration changed from the past tense to the present tense. This jarred with me, and broke my reading flow. It was a minor thing though and may well have just been a writing style feature that I didn't appreciate.

I can imagine this book wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea due to its gentle and steady nature but I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |

juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |

Sculptor, Jude Martland, is determined that this year there will be no Christmas after his brother runs off with his fiancee and he is keen to avoid the family home. However, he will have to return by 'Twelfth Night', when the hamlet of Little Mumming hold their historic festivities and all of his family are required to attend.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,239,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible