Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente

Authors:Catherynne M. Valente
Info:Tor Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Your library

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente

The Secret History of Moscow by Ekaterina Sedia (ligature)
    The Veil of Gold by Kim Wilkins (xenu01)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (Euryale)
    Euryale: Another standalone fantasy novel influenced by Eastern European fairy tales, with a clever female protagonist
    Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis (MyriadBooks)
    Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Lucy_Skywalker: even though it's quite different :)
    Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (MyriadBooks)

Ugh. I understand where Valente was going with this...Russian Folklore meets New Weird. At times it was beautiful, dream-like, but mostly it redounded back to the tired folkloric tropes that were obviously in the forefront of the author's mind (everything in THREES...)
I wanted to like it more. I really did. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
The nightmare world of pre- and post-revolutionary Russia meshes with the bizarre and cruel fairytale world of Russian folklore. Maria Morevna, the human bride of Koshchei the Deathless, both loves and hates her seductive, supernatural and terrifying husband. The writing is often seductive as well, mesmerizing at times, yet overall I must say I couldn't wait for it to all be over. I find most authentic fairy tales intriguing, but disturbing, and therefore I'm glad of the shortness of most fairy tales. A novel length fairytale, set in the darkest of Soviet times, was more than I could enjoy. I'm not saying it isn't a well-written tale, it's just not for me. ( )
  Marse | Dec 17, 2015 |
what a book! WOW. Beautiful! Review coming... ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Every so often a book comes along that gets its barbs underneath your skin in such a way that you know that you’ll read it and reread it for years to come. This was definitely one of those books.
I had a friend tell me that she had to throw the book down on multiple occasions because this book is full of words that she did not write. And while that may sound like a strange sentiment, it really is true for a writer reading this. This book is basically perfection and I also had to put it down a few different times just because the words were so perfect.
Deathless is, essentially, a fairytale. A Russian fairytale to be more specific. That makes itself obvious from the first page. It’s a fairytale of the darkest nature though, written in the richest way possible.
I don’t even know how to review it to be quite honest? It was beautiful, the words were beautiful. The story was beautiful. I went into reading it only knowing that it was beautiful and to be honest that’s how I think it should be.
All I can note in less serious manner is that my evil boyfriend obsession is appeased and more in this book, thus making it transcendent in my eyes.
Catherynne M. Valente knows how to write words, beautiful words, terrible words. Words made of blood. He followed the trail of bodies. This book is heartbreaking and terrible and absolutely wonderful, and that’s really all I can say.
Horribly, beautifully, wonderful. ( )
1 vote glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
A lot of "retellings" end up reading like historical fiction or magical realism, which is all well and good when one is in the mood for that. So what I liked most about Deathless was how it read like a novel-length fairy tale. Sure, it took place during modern times - Russia during the 1920s to 1950s - but overall I felt as if I was reading a fairy tale being retold by a contemporary storyteller as opposed to historical fantasy inspired by a fairy tale.

Valente faithfully followed the plot of "The Death of Koschei the Deathless" and "Marya Morevna" tales whilst simultaneously breathing new life into their flat characters, choices and world. I also loved how Valente incorporated and mashed up other Slavic folklore including Baba Yaga, rusalka, domovoi, and vila into her version of Koschei and Marya.

However, calling this story "tragic" would be an understatement. Consider yourself warned: you will not find warm fuzzies here. Its mood tended toward melancholy with wistful characters making somber choices, and the "love" story (or stories) with the exploration of freewill, domination, submission, trust, marriage, death... had me completely conflicted. I'll certainly be thinking about Koschei, Marya and Ivan for a long time to come.

4 stars

My first Valente, and I look forward to reading The Orphan's Tales in the near future.

Note: I read the following versions of the "original" tales in preparation for, and prior to, reading Deathless:

"The Death of Koschei the Deathless" from The Red Fairy Book
"Marya Morevna" from Russian Fairy Tales
"Koshchei the Deathles"s from Russian Fairy Tales
"Marya Morevna" from Russian Wonder Tales ( )
  flying_monkeys | May 4, 2015 |
Deathless performs the highest function of a problematic novel. It reveals more about the writer's technique and strengths than a polished, impregnable work might.

Another intricate fantasy from Valente, based on what feels like the entire panoply of Russian folktales. ...scenes, people, myths and history intertwine. It's dazzling but intensely self-involved.
added by melonbrawl | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

From the year nineteen forty
I look out on everything as if from a high tower
As if bidding farewell
To that from which I long ago parted.
As if crossing myself
And descending beneath dark arches.
—Anna Akhmatova
For Dmitri,
who spirited me away from a dark place
Woodsmoke hung heavy and golden on the shorn wheat, the earth bristling like an old, bald woman.
In a city by the sea which was once called St. Petersburg, then Petrograd, then Leningrad, then, much later, St. Petersburg again, there stood a long, thin house on a long, thin street. By a long, thin window, a child in a pale blue dress and pale green slippers waited for a bird to marry her.
“That's how you get deathless, volchitsa. Walk the same tale over and over, until you wear a groove in the world, until even if you vanished, the tale would keep turning, keep playing, like a phonograph, and you'd have to get up again, even with a bullet through your eye, to play your part and say your lines.”
The rapt pupil will be forgiven for assuming the Tsar of Death to be wicked and the Tsar of Life to be virtuous. Let the truth be told: There is no virtue anywhere. Life is sly and unscrupulous, a blackguard, wolfish, severe. In service to itself, it will commit any offence. So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature- but also mercy, also grace and tenderness. In his own country, Death can be kind.

Set in an alternate version of St. Petersburg in the first half of the twentieth century, Marya Morevna, a clever child of the revolution, is transformed into the beautiful bride of Koschei the Deathless, a menacing overlord.

209 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,778,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible