Babymouse: Mad Scientist by Jennifer L. Holm

Babymouse: Mad Scientist (2011)

by Jennifer L. Holm

Mad Scientist by Jennifer L. Holm is the fourteenth Babymouse comic. The science fair is coming up and Babymouse needs an experiment. She also needs to clean her room.

When the two come together, she discovers a new single celled life form who loves to eat cupcakes! Squish, by the way, has enough personality to spin off his own series. Frankly I enjoy the Squish comics much more and I'm surprised I haven't reviewed it.

The book falls into the same old routine, which either works for you or doesn't. Babymouse gets a new project, does a bunch of day dreaming, finds most of the steps needed in her project be a complete waste of time. Babymouse barely finishes what she started to "hilarious results."

At the time I read Mad Scientist I was struggling to help both my children with their science projects. For my daughter, the project was her choice and the only problems we had were with the weather and the squirrels (she was growing peas). For my son, though, the science fair was a requirement, so I saw a lot more Babymouse behavior from him. Had I not been in the middle of science fair chaos, I probably would have found Babymouse's antics annoying. ( )
  pussreboots | Feb 22, 2015 |
Babymouse is a perfect "everyman" character for elementary school students. She daydreams and is late to class, she daydreams and make mistakes on homework, she daydreams and doesn't always listen to her parents. Children of all ages can relate to her issues with school, family, and friendship, although the pink art may turn some kids off. This book specifically deals with science projects in a way that shows kids how science can be fun and sometimes a little messy. This book also starts a spinoff series starring Babymouse's science experiment-gone-wrong, Squish. I noted the age range to be 7-9 instead of 5-8 or 9-11, since this graphic novel has elements and themes seen in transitional books.
  Megs_Scrambled | Mar 10, 2014 |
i love this book it is so funny
  graceannann | Nov 7, 2012 |
the book baby mouse mad scientist
  grace56 | Oct 2, 2012 |
In this fourteenth installment in the Babymouse series of graphic novels, Babymouse decides to enter the school science fair with a project on amoebas. The simple story is fleshed out by Babymouse’s daydreams, which range from winning a “scientific genius” award to drinking from an old test tube and growing to 50 feet tall. The “narrator,” whose snarky interjections are found in rectangles accompanying some drawings, is a nice counterpoint to Babymouse’s adventures and internal dialogue. The cartoonish black and white drawings are accented with the pink that is one of this series’ trademarks, and also include some green when Squish (Babymouse’s amoeba friend) is featured. The abundance of hearts and cupcakes makes it clear that this is a book targeted toward girls, but Babymouse isn’t hampered by gender stereotypes when she begins to explore science. The text even teaches a few real facts about science, including the scientific method, the definition of an amoeba, and brief references to famous scientists throughout history. Overall, this book will be popular with readers aged 7-12 and is recommended for purchase. ( )
  alexanan | Nov 26, 2011 |

The greatest scientific discovery of the 21st century is about to be revealed . . . when Babymouse enters the school science fair! Will her amazing discovery win 1st place? Will it become a successful spin off series? Find out in Babymouse: Mad Scientist! Mad Scientist is the 14th graphic novel in the award-winning series and the Babymouse that begins the amazing adventures of SQUISH: SUPER AMOEBA!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:36 -0400)

Imaginative Babymouse's science partner, Felicia the cat, expects her to do all of the work for their report on microscopic creatures, but Babymouse gets help from a pizza-loving amoeba named Squish.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,202,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible