Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Never Knowing (edition 2011)

by Chevy Stevens

Collections:Read and passed on
Rating:***
Tags:Crime, Fiction

Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Recently added byalmin, kmroy0320, Skindo, kara.shamy, private library, sojo817, rebmwade, Mimi23, lilymorgan, shammynix

English (56)  Dutch (2)  All languages (58)
I didn't love this book. I enjoy a psychological thriller. I enjoy books about adoption, it hits me personally. It's a great plot but I'm thinking the personality of the main character, Sara probably killed it for me. I get things weren't the same for her in the family but the obsessive, impulsive, compulsive, neurotic personality became old....but of yeah she's such a strong character too. Well no she isn't, all thoseother traits just makes her crazy. I won't give away anything here but I was really glad when I had finished the book. ( )
  BONS | Jan 23, 2014 |
Yet another brilliant novel. Great character development and a suspenseful plot ( )
  SweetReaderMA | Dec 29, 2013 |
In Never Knowing, Chevy Stevens presents a fast-paced, intriguing story about a woman who has been adopted, and in her quest to find her birth parents, discovers that her dad is a serial killer. Much of the story is devoted to her developing relationship with her birth dad, and how she commiserates with the police to bring the serial killer to justice. The author very successfully portrays Sara as a somewhat obsessive, emotional woman who has never felt truly accepted by her adopted dad and siblings. This is a story about Sara’s desire to survive and to protect her daughter, Ally, from impending danger.
Without giving the ending away, let me just say that I was disappointed with the way that the story was resolved. Throughout the novel, the author never gave any indication that this might have been a possibility, so I was taken aback when my perspective of one of the main characters was abruptly changed. I would have liked for the author to have at least developed this idea a little more, possibly with a few insignificant hints, before presenting it at the end of the story.
Otherwise, Never Knowing is a full-proof page-turner, and I was mesmerized in reading it. Although the pace does quicken at moments of conflict, the story is not too bizarre or too horrid to read, and I was captured by Sara’s efforts to understand herself. ( )
  haymaai | Sep 24, 2013 |
I can't decide between three and four stars for this (as well as Still Missing). This was a pretty good read overall. Once again the protagonist, Sara, is relaying the events of the story to her psychiatrist. While I like the idea, it gets rather awkward for me when she's telling Nadine (the psychiatrist) something that is obviously repetitive between the two, or when Sara is describing the events that happened to her between sessions I get struck by how much detail there is of every little action and feeling. It's not really bad, just awkward.

I liked the progression of the story and the characters reactions to what was happening. There were definitely plenty of edge-of-your-seat moments that made the book enjoyable. My biggest problem was the way Sara let people treat her and talk to her. I was really hoping she'd tell several people off (especially her adoptive father, he made me incredibly angry) and she didn't. She even apologized to some of them to head off further conflict! I also think if she had told some of these people off and kept perspective she would have seen the ending coming at her.

Stevens like to pull out the one – out of nowhere – twist at the end. In Still Missing the twist, while unnecessary, flowed naturally from the story. I didn't even question it because it was obvious to me that the person would do what they did. In this book, the twist was just unnecessary. It wasn't bad, and I had been yelling at Sara in my crazy way to pay attention to what was being said and done, and it turns out I was right. Still, I really didn't think the twist flowed as naturally here. It felt like it was added in because maybe readers would expect it after Still Missing. However, I really do like the shades of gray it introduced regarding one of the characters. It added a level of complexity to them that I wasn't expecting. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
Excellent, gripping, suspenseful, fantastic, awesome novel! Can you tell I LOVED it! :)
Just like Still Missing by this author, Never Knowing was just as great! I have become a fan of Chevy Stevens' writing. Her books grab you from the start and never let go. I found it almost impossible to put down, and could not wait to continue reading it as soon as I got home from work. I highly recommend this book to everyone. ( )
  LorettaR | Aug 22, 2013 |

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Connel
I thought I could handle it, Nadine.

Struggling with a need for closure, Sara Gallagher attempts to reconnect with her birth parents only to learn that her biological father is an infamous serial killer, a discovery that causes her to fear she has inherited violent tendencies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible