Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Never Knowing (edition 2011)

by Chevy Stevens

Collections:Read and passed on
Rating:***
Tags:Crime, Fiction

Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Recently added bymrsreadsbooks, dastevens, jnoble82, private library, Rena37, poobeedle, cctesttc1, annabw, donnafoy, SA_Jane

English (78)  Dutch (2)  All (80)
I had a hard time rating this book for several reasons: It's a good story, suspenseful and interesting. I wanted to see what happened next. It's extremely easy to read, which should appeal to many readers. You won't have to look up any words in the dictionary. The writing, however, seemed very adolescent to me, extremely cliched. I thought this might be a tool the author used on purpose, since the story is told from the main character's point of view, in her voice, and she's often speaking to her psychiatrist about what is happening in her life. That part was clever. When I read the tributes and thanks at the end, the author's voice was the same in that as in the story. So this seems like a book written by someone young for young people. It contains the cliches and well worn phrases used by many young people today, almost too many for readers who prefer more literary, sophisticated, and challenging reads.

The author is good at suspense, though the end seemed rushed to me and too tied up neatly. Despite the suspense and solid story, there is needless repetition in some places and the story dragged slightly in others but not enough to put off the reader. The story seemed to go slowly until the end, and then where much is happening, it sped up and was more concise. I wanted to give this book 3 1/2 stars, but when in doubt, I round up.

The main character seemed immature and headstrong, despite being a mother. It was unsettling how much she didn't learn or change from significant experiences in the book. Yes, there are people like that in the world. Sara's actions don't coordinate with what she says about herself, over and over -- that she can't keep it together, but she always does in ghastly situations. There is too much telling and not enough showing in the story.

The biological mother character was never really developed in the story, and I was left with questions about Sandy. Sandy could have been a more pivotal character easily; maybe she'd been a victim or was related to someone who was? It would have explained her behavior. Nothing else in the story did.

I predict not only that many people will like this book for the suspense and simplicity of language, and maybe for the young, modern cliches, but that the author may get better over time if she writes more books. She has the right idea -- a good story at the heart of it all. I enjoyed the book very much, although the constant youthful language and telling shouted to me.

The story is about a young single mother finding her birth mother and father and learning some horrible facts about them. Then a series of manipulative and scary events happen, and along with all this there are family issues. Keep writing, Chevy! Show, show, show. Allow the reader to deduce and understand without telling. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Wow Chevy Stevens has done it again! What a twist. I can only hope that she continues with more and more!! ( )
  Kat1981 | Jan 2, 2017 |
  Kat_1891 | Jan 2, 2017 |
  Kat_1891 | Jan 2, 2017 |
Meh...this was a pretty weak book. Not a lot of tension for a thriller and the "big twist" at the end was telegraphed throughout - I saw it coming from a mile away. The writing style is a bit amatuerish and the narration to the disembodied therapist whose name isn't revealed until almost the end of the book was kind of odd. This book wasn't horrible but certainly not on par with some of my favorite thriller writers. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Connel
I thought I could handle it, Nadine.

Struggling with a need for closure, Sara Gallagher attempts to reconnect with her birth parents only to learn that her biological father is an infamous serial killer, a discovery that causes her to fear she has inherited violent tendencies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,284,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible