Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Never Knowing (edition 2011)

by Chevy Stevens

Collections:Read and passed on
Rating:***
Tags:Crime, Fiction

Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

English (60)  Dutch (2)  All languages (62)
One of the best psychological thrillers that I've read to date, gripping and suspenseful with the turn of each page, never knowing what's about too happen around the next bend. ( )
  Gatorhater | Dec 9, 2014 |
Not one of my favorite books, as a little slow and the main character would drive even me nuts! Also did not care for the ending. Basically, a psychological thriller about one woman’s search into her past and the deadly truth she uncovers.

Gallagher has wondered about her birth parents as she was adopted by family who was not always nice to her (father and siblings). When she is about to get married, so sets out to find her real birth mother and father. However, some questions are better left unanswered.

After months of research, Sara locates her birth mother—only to be met with horror and rejection. Then she discovers the devastating truth: her mother was the only victim ever to escape a killer who has been hunting women every summer for decades. She gets more than she has bargained for and some others along the way who does not have her best interest at heart. The novel is a complex and compelling portrayalof one woman’s quest to understand herself, her origins, and her family.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Just wait for this story's interesting twist. You'll be surprised. Chevy Steven's novel of a woman in search of her birth parents turns into a psychological thriller. It's indeed one that is fast-paced and interesting to read. The only down side to this story is that I found it not quite believable. It basically boils down to how powerful women can physically be when confronted by men who are truly the more physical and muscular type. However, I was willing to put aside my skepticism to just let the fun of this frightening tale of a mother trying to protect her only young child carry me along.

This is the second book by Chevy Stevens that I've read. I especially like the tension she creates in this book and not knowing for certain which are the good and bad characters. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jun 23, 2014 |
Blurb........

At thirty-four Sara Gallagher is finally happy with her life, but there is one big question that still haunts her - who are her birth parents?

Finally ready to hear the truth, Sara discovers that some questions are better left unanswered: her biological father is an infamous serial killer, a wanted man who has been slaying women every summer for over thirty years.

And now he knows he has a daughter.

Sara soon realises that the only thing worse than finding out your real father is a killer, is him finding out about you...

Well I had quite high hopes for this after reading and enjoying her first book - Still Missing.
Plus my wife seemed to enjoy it without having her socks blown off.

Well if it was 200 hundred pages shorter, and the main character was someone I could have empathised with, and if she had a child that I warmed to, we might have been okay, but it wasn't, she wasn't and I didn't.

Not going to waste too much time on the review - as I've wasted too much time reading the book.

2 from 5 - hopefully my wife will steer clear of her next book, as I'm quite happy never to read anything else by her again.

Bought on the cheap from Oxfam, which is a minor consolation I suppose ( )
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
I didn't love this book. I enjoy a psychological thriller. I enjoy books about adoption, it hits me personally. It's a great plot but I'm thinking the personality of the main character, Sara probably killed it for me. I get things weren't the same for her in the family but the obsessive, impulsive, compulsive, neurotic personality became old....but of yeah she's such a strong character too. Well no she isn't, all thoseother traits just makes her crazy. I won't give away anything here but I was really glad when I had finished the book. ( )
  BONS | Jan 23, 2014 |

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Connel
I thought I could handle it, Nadine.

Struggling with a need for closure, Sara Gallagher attempts to reconnect with her birth parents only to learn that her biological father is an infamous serial killer, a discovery that causes her to fear she has inherited violent tendencies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible