Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Never Knowing (edition 2011)

by Chevy Stevens

Collections:Read and passed on
Rating:***
Tags:Crime, Fiction

Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Recently added bygaialover3, reneely, arena90, macnoid, lpetrie, private library, karliernst, Dreamchen

English (58)  Dutch (2)  All languages (60)
Just wait for this story's interesting twist. You'll be surprised. Chevy Steven's novel of a woman in search of her birth parents turns into a psychological thriller. It's indeed one that is fast-paced and interesting to read. The only down side to this story is that I found it not quite believable. It basically boils down to how powerful women can physically be when confronted by men who are truly the more physical and muscular type. However, I was willing to put aside my skepticism to just let the fun of this frightening tale of a mother trying to protect her only young child carry me along.

This is the second book by Chevy Stevens that I've read. I especially like the tension she creates in this book and not knowing for certain which are the good and bad characters. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jun 23, 2014 |
Blurb........

At thirty-four Sara Gallagher is finally happy with her life, but there is one big question that still haunts her - who are her birth parents?

Finally ready to hear the truth, Sara discovers that some questions are better left unanswered: her biological father is an infamous serial killer, a wanted man who has been slaying women every summer for over thirty years.

And now he knows he has a daughter.

Sara soon realises that the only thing worse than finding out your real father is a killer, is him finding out about you...

Well I had quite high hopes for this after reading and enjoying her first book - Still Missing.
Plus my wife seemed to enjoy it without having her socks blown off.

Well if it was 200 hundred pages shorter, and the main character was someone I could have empathised with, and if she had a child that I warmed to, we might have been okay, but it wasn't, she wasn't and I didn't.

Not going to waste too much time on the review - as I've wasted too much time reading the book.

2 from 5 - hopefully my wife will steer clear of her next book, as I'm quite happy never to read anything else by her again.

Bought on the cheap from Oxfam, which is a minor consolation I suppose ( )
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
I didn't love this book. I enjoy a psychological thriller. I enjoy books about adoption, it hits me personally. It's a great plot but I'm thinking the personality of the main character, Sara probably killed it for me. I get things weren't the same for her in the family but the obsessive, impulsive, compulsive, neurotic personality became old....but of yeah she's such a strong character too. Well no she isn't, all thoseother traits just makes her crazy. I won't give away anything here but I was really glad when I had finished the book. ( )
  BONS | Jan 23, 2014 |
Yet another brilliant novel. Great character development and a suspenseful plot ( )
  SweetReaderMA | Dec 29, 2013 |
In Never Knowing, Chevy Stevens presents a fast-paced, intriguing story about a woman who has been adopted, and in her quest to find her birth parents, discovers that her dad is a serial killer. Much of the story is devoted to her developing relationship with her birth dad, and how she commiserates with the police to bring the serial killer to justice. The author very successfully portrays Sara as a somewhat obsessive, emotional woman who has never felt truly accepted by her adopted dad and siblings. This is a story about Sara’s desire to survive and to protect her daughter, Ally, from impending danger.
Without giving the ending away, let me just say that I was disappointed with the way that the story was resolved. Throughout the novel, the author never gave any indication that this might have been a possibility, so I was taken aback when my perspective of one of the main characters was abruptly changed. I would have liked for the author to have at least developed this idea a little more, possibly with a few insignificant hints, before presenting it at the end of the story.
Otherwise, Never Knowing is a full-proof page-turner, and I was mesmerized in reading it. Although the pace does quicken at moments of conflict, the story is not too bizarre or too horrid to read, and I was captured by Sara’s efforts to understand herself. ( )
  haymaai | Sep 24, 2013 |

Chevy Stevensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Connel
I thought I could handle it, Nadine.

Struggling with a need for closure, Sara Gallagher attempts to reconnect with her birth parents only to learn that her biological father is an infamous serial killer, a discovery that causes her to fear she has inherited violent tendencies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible