The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook…

The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner) (2003)

by Jill Conner Browne

This book is not exactly heavy literature that will require a psychologically probing review, but then I didn't read it expecting it to make me smarter. What I did read it for was for some laughs and some good recipes to add to my collection, and on those two points, this book rocks. Now, being born and raised in the South, and coming from a family that was born and raised in the South many generations back, I know what other, non-Southerners, think of us and this book (along with all the other SPQ books) doesn't exactly help those images. But I don't think that's a bad thing. Sure, this book and many more like it generally make us look and sound like a bunch of loons, but I personally believe that people are crazy wherever you go, and Southerners are just the only ones that take pride in admitting it. So as long as you're admitting it, why not go all out and 'fess up and make it funny? This is exactly what Jill Connor Browne does in all her books, while still getting across her main message -- that women are fabulous and deserve to be treated like queens, and if no one else will treat you like the queen you are, then treat yourself like one. That's the other main reason that I enjoy these books so much, nothing like female-empowerment to get my approval.

Along with the laughs, you'll get some scrumptious sounding recipes from this book. They won't be good for you (the SPQs love cheese, bacon, butter, chocolate, etc, etc) but they will bring a smile to your face, which is what all good Southern cooking has always been about. The Financial Planner part of the title should NOT be taken seriously, as the financial tips consist of things like, "Retirement plan -- marry a rich old man without children and hope for a quick demise." Well, not exactly, but close. But, again, if I'd wanted real financial advice, I would have picked up Suze Orman, so the fact that this book didn't provide that advice is not a shortcoming. If you're looking for a quick and enjoyable read with no purpose other than to make you feel good, I highly recommend this book and all other SPQ books. Also, if you're the type that enjoys audiobooks, I recommend listening to any of the SPQ books that are read by the author -- she has a delightful Southern drawl and I always think it's better to hear a funny story than to read one.
  missporkchop | Dec 11, 2008 |
All of my favorite recipes in one place! I think I gained 30 pounds just reading it! ( )
  tloeffler | Sep 7, 2008 |
Recipes with butter, cream cheese, bacon, twinkies and all things bad for your heart and kidneys - I luuuurve this book!
  mwittman | Nov 17, 2006 |
Another hilarious volume, very nice to get all the recipes in one place! ( )
  MsBeautiful | Sep 11, 2006 |
To the most fabulous women in the world--Vivian Neill, Cheri Anglin, Mona Shumake, Cynthia Speetjens, Lyla Elliot, Marsha McInturff, Carol Daily, Annie Laurie McRee, Annelle Barnett, Pippa Jackson, Donna Sones, Sylvia Stewart, and Melanie Clement--the Once and Future Sweet Potato Queens, who have dedicated themselves to living the Queenly Life and who allow me to document it in these pages,
To Malcolm White, who is our Reason for Being,
And to Kyle Jennings, who is teaching me it's never too late to find what you always dreamed of.
Don't be misled by the title of this book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 060980877X, Paperback)

They’re wild, beloved, and all-around fabulous, but with the Sweet Potato Queens, there’re just never enough good times—or enough good eats. Well, now all fabulous women everywhere can have their own mountains of royal fun and food, because bestselling author and Boss Queen Jill Conner Browne is revealing her big-ass top secret recipes—and the events that inspired them—in The Sweet Potato Queens’ Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner). And, of course, she’s dishing up plenty of hilarious stories, including:

• Queenly adventures in mothering
•The tiniest bit of plastic surgery
• The all-true story of the Cutest Boy in the World

And, oh yes, as promised:
• Sound financial planning. Tip number one: Hope that Daddy lives forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,027,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible