Stormlord’s Exile by Glenda Larke

Stormlord’s Exile (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Glenda Larke (Author)

Member:Griffin22
Title:Stormlord’s Exile
Authors:Glenda Larke (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd (2010), 640 pages
Collections:Fantasy fiction, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy, Watergivers 3, Stormlord Trilogy 3

Stormlord's Exile by Glenda Larke (2011)

Very good but slightly disappointing third part to the trilogy: it all seems stretched a bit too long, unnecessarily so. However I still enjoyed it and found it engaging. Good stuff! ( )
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
I am afraid that this review is going to be a bit unbalanced. The reason for this is relatively simple. The book itself was a bit unbalanced.

The weird thing that happened here, is that this book actually felt like a middle book, and not a conclusion. I honestly can not remember experiencing anything like it before. I mean I have read alot of series that felt like
lead ins to a bigger story, but I can not remember a second book being so much faster than the third. Book one was a very interesting setup for the series with lots of worldbuilding and character development. Typical of a first book which pretty much has to hook you into the story. Book two continued in the same vein but added an all out war, making that volume fast paced and exciting. Wow! What is next!

And so we come to book three which starts out with most of the main characters all traveling from here to there and back again. Nothing wrong with traveling mind you. Immersion in the worldbuilding is alot easier to achieve when you explore new (and old) landscapes through the eyes of the characters. However, the amount of traveling in this book was unexpected. I am used to this type of story building in a middle book, not in the first half of the series conclusion.

This leaves me to my second problem, a rushed ending that did not even begin to answer all my questions. I closed this book feeling like I had just watched the ending of season one with no guarantee that season two would be picked up by the network. I hate it when that happens.

Now I promised you an unbalanced review and I am going to deliver on that promise. I like this series. I like the magic, I love the characters, and I enjoyed the varied landscapes. The whole premise of no natural rainfall and the difficulties that would create simply fascinated me. I thought Glenda Larke's portrayal of the types of societies that might develop under those conditions to be masterful. Even better, she creates great characters to both love and despise, even as you understand exactly what makes them the hero or villain that they are. And that could very well be my problem. I wanted to experience more. Much more.

Read More Here:
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
  Mulluane | Aug 6, 2013 |
Reduner nomads have massacred the Quartern's Rainlords, leaving its cities vulnerable to the relentless desert. Now Stormlord Shale must stretch his powers to bring rain, or his people will die - if they don't meet a Reduner knife first. However, Shale can't hold out alone for much longer, and those who seek to exploit him are closing in. Rainlord Kaneth has spurned these politics for war, and plans to defeat the Reduner leader from his desert stronghold. But there are spies in Kaneth's camp. Terelle has been Shale's secret weapon until now, covertly boosting his powers. But her Uncle's magic compels her to travel to distant Khromatis - and if she disobeys him it will destroy her. Yet Khromatis gave the desert its first Stormlord, so Terelle may find hope there as well as great danger ...
This is the final book in this trilogy; and I am sorry to leave this world and its people. The resolution of so many intricate plots, intrigues and relationships was handled skilfully and Larke managed to introduce some extra twists and surprises in this volume. We finally get to see beyond the Quartern to the mysterious Khromatis, which shatters not a few preconceptions of a number of characters.
Shale and Terelle have grown and matured; and the Quatern is changing. The scene is set for a return visit at some time in the future.
  Jawin | Sep 4, 2011 |

Glenda Larkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

SHALE is finally free from his greatest enemy. But now, he is responsible for bringing life-giving rain to all the people of the Quartern. He must stretch his powers to the limit or his people will die-if they don't meet a nomad's blade first. And while Shale's own highlords and waterpriests plot against him, his Reduner brother plots his revenge.

TERELLE is Shale's secret weapon, covertly boosting his powers with her own mystical abilities. But she is compelled by the strange magic of her people and will one day have to leave Shale's side. No one knows what waits for her across the desert, but her people gave the Quartern its first Stormlord and they may save Shale and his people once again-or lead them to their doom.

This is the final volume of the epic Stormlord series.

Tasked with bringing life--giving rain to all people of the Quartern, Shale, finally free from his greatest enemy, turns to Terelle, who can covertly boost his powers with her own mystical abilities, for help in saving his people.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,613,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible