Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of…

Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons (edition 2011)

by Il Sung Na

95None126,172 (3.65)2
Member:Krguarisco
Title:Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
Authors:Il Sung Na
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 24 pages
Tags:Animals, Seasons, Multicultural

Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons by Il Sung Na

2+ (1) 2013 (3) animals (14) board book (2) bunnies (4) changing (1) child (1) children's (5) children's books (1) collage (1) E (2) fiction (2) habitats (1) hibernation (3) Labeled (1) nature (2) non-fiction (2) picture book (12) Pre-K (2) public library book (1) rabbits (13) rabit (1) seasons (31) spl (1) spring (10) STARRED (1) storytime (3) to-read (2) turtles (1) winter (12)

A book of changing season using animals and what they do when the weather starts to turn cold.
  MissCABCCrystal | Mar 27, 2014 |
A look at what various animals due in the winter. The illustrations are whimsal, full of small details and muted colors.
  Emily.Small | Feb 22, 2014 |
I LOVE the layers, layout, colors, and design of the art in this book! (I pretty much want a skirt made out of every pattern on the pages.)

The text is plain and simple, not groundbreaking, but just right for a young toddler absorbing new information about animal behavior. The only thing missing for me is information about the rabbit! I wish the text explicitly said something for its young audience about the rabbit's coat changing color, just as it said something about every other animal.

But that's a small quibble, and really, the illustrations are beautiful. I'd love to do a K-1-2 art storytime where we read this and an Eric Carle book and then made our own patterned paper for collages.

3 stars for the text, 5 for the art. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
The book talks about what animals do in the cold seasons. The illustrations help young readers see what animals do when snow falls, and how the trees prepares for winter. Some animals migrate, some have thick fur and they stay, some go to swim in warm waters, and some hibernate throughout the winter. ( )
  ntaha | Jun 18, 2013 |
Finally! Korean picture-book author and artist Il Sung Na - whose debut effort, A Book of Sleep, was one of my happiest discoveries back in 2009; and whose subsequent The Thingamabob was also quite delightful - returns with this, his third title. Originally published in the UK as Brrrr: A Book of Winter, it follows a little white rabbit as she observes her fellow creatures in the midst of their winter activities. From the turtles, who swim off to warmer waters, to the squirrels, who are busy stockpiling acorns for the cold months, "everyone knows it's winter."

I have been anticipating Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons for months now, and I think that my expectations, based on Na's previous titles, may have sabotaged my experience. I don't want to overstate the case, of course! As always, I enjoyed Na's artwork, with the many delightful details that he works into larger objects - the little snowflake design on the rabbit's coat, the "striped" legs on the sheep - and his appealing use of color. The narrative itself, which felt a little scattered and random, didn't do much for me, but then, it didn't bother me either. A nice celebration of Winter, with a hopeful last few pages devoted to the coming Spring - what's not to like? But although I would wholeheartedly recommend this to fans of the artist, and to young Winter lovers, I can't honestly say I loved it as much as its predecessors. Still, I remain an admirer, and will be on the lookout for future Il Sung Na projects - after all, I don't suppose I can love ALL of his books equally! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 17, 2013 |
“Whimsy” is a word that runs rampant in the description of children’s literature, but Il Sung Na’s picture books certainly merit the label. “Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit” is the latest of Na’s deceptively simple storybooks (“A Book of Sleep,” “Brrrr: A Book of Winter”), where a straightforward tale of nature or nighttime is elevated by distinctive illustration into a somewhat more enchanted realm than that of mere snowfall and frozen dirt.
added by lquilter | editNew York Times, Pamela Paul (Feb 23, 2011)

What do the animals do when the snow falls to the ground and all the trees are bare?  Some fly long distances, while some swim to warmer waters.  Some take a long, warm sleep where they live, while others have a thick, cozy coat and can stay in the snow!

As with Il Sung Na's previous books, Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit is filled with rich illustrations, charming animals, and a simple, lyrical text—all wrapped up in a gorgeous package. It's a gentle introduction to the ideas of adaptation, hibernation, and migration, and an exhuberant celebration of changing seasons.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:06 -0400)

While other animals migrate, hibernate, or stay busy all winter, a little white rabbit watches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,506,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible