If I Ran the Zoo by Dr. Seuss

If I Ran the Zoo (1950)

by Dr. Seuss

If I ran the zoo will stimulate and child's imagination. As all children love to imagine and be silly. Dr.Seuss always rhymes and illustrates his pictures well. They always have the same color scheme I find. The pictures are fun and playful and I think kids would love to read this. Just looking at the photos I do not think the pictures tell the story but they do convey the silliness from the text. I had a good time reading this story. I like how it's about a boy dreaming about running the zoo and we are reading about his dreams. A fun project could be to allow students to write a small page about their dreams and draw a picture to go along with it. ( )
  Phallan | Feb 8, 2017 |
a discussion of what a little boy would do if a little boy was in charge of a zoo
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 23, 2017 |
If I ran a Zoo, is a story where a young boy by the name Gerald McGrew imagines if he owned a zoo how he would run it. He talks about "new" is good and is needed for his zoo. He would unlock all of the pens. Talks about all the different animals in his zoo like the sort-of-a-hen that roosts, an elephant cat, and flustard the furry beast. He talks about where the animals come from and what they eat or do. His zoo the McGrew Zoo is the best zoo! ( )
  Hayley.Hustead | Jan 19, 2017 |
I have fond memories of reading this book at the home of a friend. It must have been 1950 or '51. I was in first or second grade. I loved the way that phonics plus rhyme let me figure out all the nonsense words.

My apologies to those who hated the book - I must admit that whatever racism was there, it went right over my head.

I probably won't ever read it again. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
In this Dr. Seuss classic, If I Ran the Zoo tells the story Gerald McGrew as he imagines how he'd run a zoo. This book will stimulate any child's imagination with silly words from silly worlds and mischievously cheeky characters. ( )
  Ali.Simon | Nov 4, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800818, Hardcover)

"It's a pretty good zoo," said young Gerald McGrew, "and the fellow who runs it seems proud of it, too." But if Gerald ran the zoo, the New Zoo, McGrew Zoo, he'd see to making a change or two: "So I'd open each cage. I'd unlock every pen, let the animals go, and start over again." And that's just what Gerald imagines, as he travels the world in this playfully illustrated Dr. Seuss classic (first published back in 1950), collecting all sorts of beasts "that you don't see every day." From the mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant to the blistering sands of the Desert of Zind, Gerald hunts down every animal imaginable ("I'll catch 'em in countries no one can spell, like the country of Motta-fa-Potta-fa-Pell"). Whether it's a scraggle-foot Mulligatawny or a wild-haired Iota (from "the far western part of south-east North Dakota"), Gerald amazes the world with his new and improved zoo: "This Zoo Keeper, New Keeper's simply astounding! He travels so far that you think he would drop! When do you suppose this young fellow will stop?"

But Gerald's weird and wonderful globe-trotting safari doesn't end a moment too soon: "young McGrew's made his mark. He's built a zoo better than Noah's whole Ark!" Some of the text and illustrations--imaginative as they are--are obviously dated, such as the following passage: "I'll hunt in the mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant/ With helpers who all wear their eyes at a slant,/ And capture a fine fluffy bird called the Bustard/ Who only eats custard with sauce made of mustard." And your children may be the first to recognize that attitudes have changed since the xenophobic '50s. But that doesn't mean this tale need be discarded; instead, it should be discussed. Ironically, Seuss was trying here--in his wild, explosive, and sometimes careless manner--to celebrate the joys of unconventionality and the bliss of liberation! (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

If Gerald McGrew ran the zoo, he'd let all the animals go and fill it with more unusual beasts--a ten-footed lion, an Elephant-Cat, a Mulligatawny, a Tufted Mazurka, and others.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,476,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible