If I Ran the Zoo by Dr. Seuss

If I Ran the Zoo (1950)

by Dr. Seuss

If I ran the zoo is a creative book which follows the thought process of a little boy who dreams of running a zoo one day. This is a fantastic way to introduce a new form of narrative to students, showing them how to write make believe as though it is actually happening. Students could then create their own paragraph or story about how if they did a certain profession, getting them excited about the many things they could be. The wording in this book is phenominal with eye catching illustrations that use Seuss' brightly colored pallet. ( )
  sdoody1 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I think this is a great book for all children to read and it will teach them to use their imagination and get them to think outside of the box. If I Ran The Zoo is a story about a young boy who lets his imagination run wild and shares with the readers what the zoo what be like if he was in charge. I really enjoy the way Dr. Seuss writes. I’ve read many Dr. Seuss books and I loved every one of them. I love the choice of words he uses and the creative names and features his gives these animals in this book. The pictures go perfectly with the way the animals are described in the story. I think kids will get a good laugh at this book seeing all the different animals the little boy came up with and I think it will be good to get kids thinking and getting them to want to use their imagination. I think a good activity for students to do after reading this book is to go and draw up their own unique animal they would want to see in a zoo. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 27, 2016 |
The book IF I RAN THE ZOO by Dr. Seuss is a book for children of all ages. This book is a book to help kids to learn to become creative. It shows kids that creativity is good and an important thing to have because it makes things more interesting. The pictures in the book also help to show creativity. The way Dr. Seuss uses words and pictures to match what he is trying to say is a way of creativity. Overall, I think this book is a good way for kids to be more creative. ( )
  nhall002 | Nov 11, 2015 |
I loved this book for so many reasons. The writing was superb and followed a great pattern, the illustrations really enhanced the story, and the characters were super unique and interesting. The writing and language followed a rhyming pattern for the entire book and throughout the story the phrase " Why if I ran the zoo..." was repeated. This repetition created a solid rhythm throughout the book and created suspense. The illustrations were my favorite part of the book. These illustrations made the very different characters in the book, such as the "a tizzle-topped Tufted Mazurka" and the "scraggle-foot Mulligatawny," really come to life. Being able to see a visual illustration of these creatures made the book a lot better for readers, especially young children. Lastly, the characters in this book made the book a lot better. The main character, Gerald McGrew, had a wild imagination which made the story fascinating. McGrew's imagination also could inspire young children to be more imaginative; this book could be used to help children develop imaginative stories. If I Ran The Zoo was one of my favorite books I have read so far. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Sep 1, 2015 |
Random House has reissued the three titles by Dr. Seuss that received Caldecott Honor awards. This is a 1951 Caldecott Honor book. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800818, Hardcover)

"It's a pretty good zoo," said young Gerald McGrew, "and the fellow who runs it seems proud of it, too." But if Gerald ran the zoo, the New Zoo, McGrew Zoo, he'd see to making a change or two: "So I'd open each cage. I'd unlock every pen, let the animals go, and start over again." And that's just what Gerald imagines, as he travels the world in this playfully illustrated Dr. Seuss classic (first published back in 1950), collecting all sorts of beasts "that you don't see every day." From the mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant to the blistering sands of the Desert of Zind, Gerald hunts down every animal imaginable ("I'll catch 'em in countries no one can spell, like the country of Motta-fa-Potta-fa-Pell"). Whether it's a scraggle-foot Mulligatawny or a wild-haired Iota (from "the far western part of south-east North Dakota"), Gerald amazes the world with his new and improved zoo: "This Zoo Keeper, New Keeper's simply astounding! He travels so far that you think he would drop! When do you suppose this young fellow will stop?"

But Gerald's weird and wonderful globe-trotting safari doesn't end a moment too soon: "young McGrew's made his mark. He's built a zoo better than Noah's whole Ark!" Some of the text and illustrations--imaginative as they are--are obviously dated, such as the following passage: "I'll hunt in the mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant/ With helpers who all wear their eyes at a slant,/ And capture a fine fluffy bird called the Bustard/ Who only eats custard with sauce made of mustard." And your children may be the first to recognize that attitudes have changed since the xenophobic '50s. But that doesn't mean this tale need be discarded; instead, it should be discussed. Ironically, Seuss was trying here--in his wild, explosive, and sometimes careless manner--to celebrate the joys of unconventionality and the bliss of liberation! (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

If Gerald McGrew ran the zoo, he'd let all the animals go and fill it with more unusual beasts--a ten-footed lion, an Elephant-Cat, a Mulligatawny, a Tufted Mazurka, and others.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible