History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil…

History of the World in 100 Objects (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Neil MacGregor

Title:History of the World in 100 Objects
Authors:Neil MacGregor
Info:Allen Lane (2011), Hardcover, 736 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Tags:history, non-fiction, world history, artifacts, antiquity, BBC

A History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor (2010)

English (20)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (24)
Fantastic resource for anyone who loves history, culture and/or museums. Even though the title reads *A* history, it could've been called *The* history, given the sheer breadth of the themes and civilizations this book covers. Loving and serious attention is paid to each object, with at least one gorgeous photograph per item, and to the stories about the past it evokes. This is geared toward a popular audience rather than a scholarly one (as was the original BBC radio series), so the essays aren't long ones, but they're cogent and full of illuminating quotes from scholars and other experts. The only problem I have is that now I want to visit the British Museum and thus have to figure out what to leave out of my luggage so I can fit this book in it. ( )
  bostonian71 | Aug 3, 2015 |
LOVED the BBC podcast, and can't wait to see how my imagination matches the images! ( )
  Ann_Louise | Jul 12, 2015 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-tI
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-tI ( )
  Saretta.L | Feb 21, 2015 |
The objects are from the British Museum and I'm picking this book up and reading them at random. They're interesting little slices of history, many of regions I know nothing about. Very pleasant.
  piemouth | Dec 6, 2014 |
This is an absolutely fascinating (and beautiful!) book. Really - it is public archaeology at its best. ( )
  Lizbeth978 | Nov 18, 2013 |
To all my colleagues at the British Museum
Telling history through things is what museums are for. (Preface: Mission Impossible)
In this book we travel back in time and across the globe, to see how we humans have shaped our world and been shaped by it over the past two million years. (Introduction)

Traces the stories of one hundred human innovations to explain their pivotal role in shaping civilization, from weapons and the domestication of cows to currency and music.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1846144132, 0241951771

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,944,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible