The Dangerous Edge of Things by Tina Whittle

The Dangerous Edge of Things

by Tina Whittle

I read an advance reader's copy of this, later edits of the book might occur. Tai has just moved from Savannah to Atlanta after co-inheriting her uncle's gun shop, and promptly finds a dead young woman slumped over in a car parked in front of Tai's older brother's house. Tai's brother is away at a work seminar in the Bahamas, and had recent contact with the dead woman, so the police are looking in his direction. When her brother hires a security firm to protect Tai and to investigate the murder (I think), she impulsively catapults herself into also investigating the murder, finagling the police and security firm agents to further her goals. The handsome security agent assigned to her, former cop Trey Seaver, is a very appealing character; he is very intelligent and can focus with laser intensity and determine when people are lying, but suffered a traumatic brain injury and has very black and white responses according to a strict code of ethics and can't decipher other's emotions very well.I enjoyed the depiction of Tai's quirky personality, impulsiveness, boldness and wry wit, the development of Trey's character and the relationships between them and other characters. But, I found the story very convoluted - I'm still not sure what really happened - and I didn't find Tai's motivations believable. Maybe I just wasn't reading carefully enough. But, she has no background related to investigating (was a caretaker for her mom, and a tour guide), the police really don't seem to think her brother committed the murder, so you'd think she might leave detective work to, you know, the police or this high end security firm her wealthy brother hired. Plus she boldly rifles through everyone's files, steals evidence from the firm, lies to everyone to further her investigating, all without any explanations for these ethical character flaws. She wasn't raised by sociopaths, far as I can tell. If her motivation was supposed to be truth, justice, and righteous justice for the dead woman, it really didn't come across well. So, 3 stars for appealing characters, relationship building amongst them, and for decent writing; 1.5 stars for the mystery story and motivations. ( )
  amanderson | Jun 13, 2011 |
Atlanta gun shop owner Tai Randolph finds a dead young woman in a car. Suddenly, she's plunged into the murder, along with various members of a corporate security firm, and Tai's absent brother. Though there's an amateur sleuth, this book is edgier than a typical cozy.

I really wanted to like this debut mystery. There are some interesting characters, for instance, but the plot was plodding, overly long and somewhat dry, and frankly, dull for me.

Even so, this series has potential and I might continue with it, once the second book is released. ( )
1 vote lindapanzo | May 13, 2011 |
I seem to be in the minority on this one, I didn't really find this book all that great. It was competently written, I can't say there was really anything bad about it specifically, it just lacked a certain pizazz. I didn't love Tai, I wasn't all that intrigued about the mystery and the dialogue didn't wow me. The one bright shining light of the book was Tai's partner, Trey. After a head injury, he is left with a severe lack of social skills, which combined with his deadly training makes him a very volatile, and interesting, character. Of course, he was hot, he is the love interest after all, he's quirky and downright off, which I love. Probably due to the fact that I myself am more than a little bit off, normal characters just don't do it for me...

To read the full review on The Book Buff, click here: http://thebookbuff.blogspot.com/2011/05/dangerous-edge-of-things.html

-Kate the Book Buff ( )
  k8thebookbuff | May 5, 2011 |
From Poisoned Pen:
“Meet Teresa Ann “Tai” Randolph. She’s barely a week into relocating from Savannah to Atlanta, where she’s camping out at her brother Eric’s place, and pulls into his driveway and discovers a dead woman slumped over the steering wheel of a car. “Since Eric had left that morning for a cruise in the Bahamas and Tai had just inherited Dexter’s Guns and More shop from her uncle, she becomes a person of interest to the APD, even though she swears she never met the corpse when it was Eliza Compton. Digging through her brother’s files, Tai finds business cards for Dan Garrity, senior investigator for the cops, and Marisa Edenfield, executive partner at Phoenix
Corporate Security Services, where Eric was doing consulting work. Garrity becomes her detecting mentor, sort of, and Marisa puts her on the payroll to protect company interests (don’t ask). But it’s former Special Ops/ ex-APD guy, Trey Seaver, a total dreamboat even if he’s struggling with a little work- engendered brain damage, who’s with her every step of the way as the plot ricochets past strippers, senators, another dead body, a boyfriend, a trophy wife, a tail or two, a few gunshots and a kiss that takes your breath away. Tai’s next adventure can’t come soon enough. She’s adorable, Trey is worthy of her and Whittle’s first foray into crime fiction is noteworthy.”” ( )
  pharrm | Mar 12, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 144177579X, Audio CD)

Tai Randolph thinks inheriting a Confederate-themed gun shop is her biggest headache--until she finds a murdered corpse in her brother's driveway. Even worse, her supposedly respectable brother begins behaving in decidedly non-innocent ways, like fleeing to the Bahamas and leaving her with both a homicide in her lap and the pointed suspicions of the Atlanta Police Department directed her way. Suddenly, she has to worry about clearing her own name, not just that of her wayward sibling.

Complicating her search for answers is Trey Seaver, field agent for Phoenix, an exclusive corporate security firm hired to investigate the crime. Seaver is fearless, focused, and utterly impervious to bribes, threats, and clever deceptions. Still in recovery from the car accident that left him cognitively and emotionally damaged, Seaver has constructed a world of certainty and routine. He has powerful people to answer to, and the last thing he wants is an unpredictable stranger ''detecting'' on Phoenix turf.

Tai's inquiry leads her from the cold-eyed glamour of Atlanta's adult-entertainment scene to the gilded treachery of Tuxedo Road. Potential suspects abound, including violent stalkers, vengeful sisters, and a paparazzo with a taste for meth. But it takes another murder--and threats to her own life--to make Tai realize that to solve this crime she has to trust the most dangerous man she's ever met.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:41 -0400)

Tia is still adjusting to a newly inherited Confederate-themed gun shop when she finds a murdered corpse in her brother's driveway. Potential suspects abound, including violent stalkers, vengeful sisters, and a paparazzo with a taste for meth.

17 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,573,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible