Machine of Death by Ryan North

Machine of Death

by Ryan North (Editor), Matthew Bennardo (Editor), David Malki ! (Editor)

Other authors: Camille Alexa (Contributor), John Allison (Illustrator), Kate Beaton (Illustrator), M. Bennardo (Contributor), Brandon Bolt (Illustrator)67 more, Vera Brosgol (Illustrator), Jeffrey Brown (Illustrator), Scott Campbell (Illustrator), Dalisa Chaponda (Contributor), John Chernega (Contributor), Mitch Clem (Illustrator), Danielle Corsetto (Illustrator), Chris Cox (Contributor), Ben Croshaw (Contributor), Alexander Danner (Contributor), Aaron Diaz (Illustrator), Rene Engström (Illustrator), Jess Fink (Illustrator), James Foreman (Contributor), Tom Francis (Contributor), Rafa Franco (Contributor), Dorothy Gambrell (Illustrator), Shaenon K. Garrity (Contributor), William Grallo (Contributor), KC Green (Illustrator), C. E. Guimont (Contributor), Matt Haley (Illustrator), Christopher Hastings (Illustrator), Paul Horn (Illustrator), Sherri Jacobsen (Contributor), John Keogh (Illustrator), Karl Kerschl (Illustrator), Kazu Kibuishi (Illustrator), Adam Koford (Illustrator), Douglas J. Lane (Contributor), Roger Langridge (Illustrator), K. M. Lawrence (Contributor), David Malki ! (Contributor), Les McClaine (Illustrator), Erin McKean (Contributor), Brian McLachlan (Illustrator), Kevin McShane (Illustrator), Dylan Meconis (Illustrator), Camron Miller (Contributor), Carly Monardo (Illustrator), Randall Munroe (Contributor), Nation of Amanda (Illustrator), Ryan North (Contributor), Ramón Pérez (Illustrator), Pelotard (Contributor), Brian Quinlan (Contributor), T. J. Radcliffe (Contributor), Jesse Reklaw (Illustrator), Katie Sekelsky (Illustrator), Gord Sellar (Contributor), Kean Soo (Illustrator), Jeff Stautz (Contributor), Cameron Stewart (Illustrator), Kris Straub (Illustrator), James L. Sutter (Contributor), Marcus Thiele (Illustrator), Kelly Tindall (Illustrator), Ryan Torres (Book Designer), Dean Trippe (Illustrator), J Jack Unrau (Contributor), Justin Van Genderen (Cover designer), Bartholomew von Klick (Contributor), Julia Wainwright (Contributor), Jeffrey C. Wells (Contributor), David Michael Wharton (Contributor), Shannon Wheeler (Illustrator), Kit Yona (Contributor)

Series: Machine of Death (1)

English (25)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
I liked the story lengths in this collection; a nice size to read in a chunk. The concept is a fascinating idea and I liked the approach each author made with their story. In a collection it is often to difficult to love every single story and this was the case in this one for me; there were one or two I didn't enjoy as much as the others and one I ended up skipping through completely. Although they are separate stories I did feel like they linked well as there always seemed to be references made that I'd picked up before in someone else's story. I'd imagine in a physical book as opposed to the kindle that the illustrations would be excellent but even in the kindle they were good. All in all it is a book I'm pleased I came across. ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Jul 20, 2014 |
Really, this deserves a 4.5; I was torn between giving it a 5 and a 4 and only opted for the 4 because a 5 really should be, "I would retrieve this from a burning building." A comment which I realize is unintentionally apropos... ( )
1 vote dcunning11235 | Jul 12, 2014 |
This (like most other short story books) took forever for me to finish. I kept reading one story and then waiting for my transit ride to finish. But that's me.

I really enjoyed it though. I loved all the different view points. Was excited to see the various recognizable names after certain stories.

My only real complaint was after about half way through, the stories started to end way more open ended. I really started to get frustrated at the lack of real conclusions.

But would recommend to others. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 4, 2014 |
Quite an interesting collection of stories about a machine that can foretell how a person will die. Some stories are better than the others but I generally liked the book and will definitely check out the second collection. ( )
  thioviolight | Feb 4, 2014 |
I agree with many of the other reviews here about the interesting diversity of the stories collected here, but also wanted to mention the artwork accompanying each story drawn by some of the most gifted webcomic talents around. Once I accepted the premise behind the machine, reading these stories made me almost feel as if I were in the world where such machines were everywhere, and I wasn't sure whether I'd like things better this way or not. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |

Wells, Jeffrey C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wharton, David MichaelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheeler, ShannonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yona, KitContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I'm going to write the best story ever.

Machine of Death is published under a Creative Commons license, rather than traditional copyright. The specific license is BY-NC-ND (Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives 3.0 license).

Information about the creation of the book and access to podcasts of the individual stories can be found at http://machineofdeath.net

Several free ebook editions are available as well: http://machineofdeath.net/a/ebook
You know how you'll die
But none of the specifics.
How does that change things?
(Shmuel510)

The machine had been invented a few years ago: a machine that could tell, from just a sample of your blood, how you were going to die. No dates, no details. Just a slip of paper with a few words spelling out your ultimate fate -- at once all-too specific and maddeningly vague.

A top ten Amazon Customer Favorite in Science Fiction & Fantasy for 2010, The Machine of Death is an anthology of original stories bound together by a central premise. From the humorous to the adventurous to the mind-bending to the touching, the writers explore what the world would be like if a blood test could predict your death.

But don't think for a moment this is a book entirely composed of stories about people meeting their ironic dooms. There is some of that, of course. But more than that, this is a genre-hopping collection of tales about people who have learned more about themselves then perhaps they should have, and how that knowledge affects their relationships, their perception of the world, and how they feel about themselves.

Features thirty-four stories by Randall Munroe, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, Tom Francis, Camille Alexa, Erin McKean, James L. Sutter, David Malki !, Ryan North, and many others

Features illustrations by Kate Beaton, Kazu Kibuishi, Aaron Diaz, Jeffrey Brown, Scott C., Roger Langridge, Karl Kershl, Cameron Stewart, and many others

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:56 -0400)

"The machine had been invented a few years ago: a machine that could tell, from just a sample of your blood, how you were going to die. It didn't give you the date and it didn't give you the specifics. It just spat out a sliver of paper upon which were printed, in careful block letters, the words 'DROWNED' or 'CANCER' or 'OLD AGE' or 'CHOKED ON A HANDFUL OF POPCORN.' It let people know how thye were going to die"--From introduction.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible