Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

Magician's Gambit (edition 1983)

by David Eddings (Author)

The Belgariad is an epic fantasy of immense scope, telling the tale of struggles between ancient Gods and mighty Kings, and of men in strange lands facing fated events, all bound by a prophecy that must be fulfilled. Ce'Nedra, Imperial Princess of Tolnedra, was confused. Everyone knows the tales of the Orb protecting the West from the evil God Torak are just silly legends. But here she is, forced to join a dangerous quest to recover that stolen Orb.… (more)
Member:equanimity23
Title:Magician's Gambit
Authors:David Eddings (Author)
Info:Del Rey Press (1983), Edition: Reprint, 305 pages
Tags:fantasy

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

English (42)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (49)
I really don’t like Ce’Nedra, this girl gets in my ever loving nerves.

This book actually dealt more with Garion coming into his magic which actually made this volume more entertaining this time around. Aunt Pol and Wolf are actually taking the time to explain to him how his magic works, and what the consequences could be, instead of just getting mad at him when he does something. There still is a few moments when they try to keep him in the dark, which is frustrating, how do you expect a kid to learn anything if you don’t freakin explain it, but then get mad when he accidentally does something, this is an on going theme in these books and it drives me insane.

Once again though it just feels like there is too much going on. It’s difficult to get a grasp on what is important and what isn’t and it just feels overloaded. There is so many places and so many races and people, and someone them you only spend a few pages with, I always end up thinking was it really necessary for all of that.

We got another new character in the group and I don’t care for him. Although I did love Garion telling him to just not look at women when he feels he can’t control himself because they make him want to “sin” I was glad Garion put him in place and was like “dude that’s your problem and you can avoid it by just not looking at them, it ain’t their fault” my boy Garion was not having it haha. But there was also the double standard reactions of everyone thinking Ce’Nedra was weird and crazy for talking and understanding the trees but everyone is on board with Hettar speaking and understanding horses >_>

This volume did feel like it ended on a high important note the last few chapters were crazy. I will say each book is great at building the dramatics for the end of the book, which can be frustrating because you have to wad through the entire book to get to it, it’s not a good tactic in my opinion, I was just lucky that this volume was for the most part entertaining, and it does make me want to pick up the next one so I will continue. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 31, 2020 |
The story is nothing new: boy on quest to find himself while fighting big evil. However, the authentic feel of the characters and humor they bring to the table bring this 'high fantasy' trope down to earth. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  SirCrash | Jan 13, 2020 |
Eindelijk begint Garion over zijn krachten en lotsbestemming te leren (dat had al in boek 1 moeten gebeuren, niet halverwege de serie).

Een domme einde. De slechte tovenaar die zich door een beginners-foutje vernietigd.

3 Sterren omdat dit verhaal me weer een paar uur bezig heeft gehouden, maar had minder moeten zijn. Wie weet is boe 4 beter dan deze.

EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
“"We all have our little shortcomings," Silk admitted blandly.”

This is yet more of the same I’ve read so far in the Belgariad. We’re still travelling, we’re still seeing some fights the result of which is crystal clear from the outset and it’s becoming stale and bland.

There’s some character development finally but mostly everyone still feels like an archetype and not like a real person.

As if that wasn’t enough, there are lots of “Deus ex machina” moments during which something that should be hard gets resolved effortlessly:

“He ran his fingers over the icy iron, not knowing just what he was looking for. He found a spot that felt a little different. "Here it is."”

And just like that, that’s it. Garion explores some more of his capabilities but is still kept small by Belgarath and Pol. The ending is rushed, anti-climactic and actually feels like Eddings just wanted to end the book which doesn't bode well for the rest of the series.

Sometimes I wish I could "unread" books because they were so fantastic. In this case, I would have had to forget an entire genre to find any original thought or idea.

This book was actually starting to get boring and tiresome; everything feels rather mediocre about it – I just hope the next one gets better again...

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram ( )
  philantrop | Jul 9, 2019 |
Listened to audio narrated by Cameron Beierle. This story picks up right from the ending 'Queen of Sorcery' continuing on their quest, now all back together. The group enters dangerous land, confronting a grieving god, we discover more about Garion's inner voice that guides him, they find a god's cave and reveal more of Garion's powers. We also see a lot of the story from Ce'Nedra's viewpoint, seeing her grow and a little and her interactions with Garion through their travels. They meet different gods and discover Garion is meant to restore the universe, that had been split long ago.

The story feels a lot like a Tolkein epic but as I listened I kept having to remind myself where are they going and why? While the characters are interesting they seem to be just wandering around, taking a lot of side trips. The end action is very quick eliminating one of their enemies and recovering the 'Orb', then ending very quickly. I know there are two more books but the ending makes the story feel done.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

Reggiani, CesareCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dorothy, who has the enduring grace to put up with Eddings men, and for Wayne, for reasons we both understand but could never be put into words.
Being an Account of how Gorim sought a God for his People and of how he found UL upon the sacred Mountain of Prolgu.
- based upon The Book of Ulgo and other fragments

At the Beginning of Days, the world was spun out of darkness by the seven Gods, and they also created beasts and fowls, serpents and fishes, and lastly Man.
Her Imperial Highness, Princess Ce'Nedra, jewel of the House of Borune and the loveliest flower of the Tolnedran Empire, sat cross-legged on a sea chest in the oak-beamed cabin beneath the stern of Captain Greldik's ship, nibbling thoughtfully on the end of a tendril of her coppery hair as she watched the Lady Polgara attend to the broken arm of Belgarath the Sorcerer.
ISBN 0345468643 is for Pawn of Prophecy, not Magician's Gambit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,500,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible