Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's…

Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children)

5562017,948 (3.74)24
Title:Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children)
Info:Gollancz, Paperback

Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds

Reynolds's obsessions, intelligent machines and an alien presence millions of years old, are here, but muted instead of being given full rein. Here, humans, about 150 years from now, have achieved stability--with the help of 'the Mechanism' which prevents them from their worst aggressive impulses-- and by carefully applying themselves to restoring the Earth. But space flight is too slow to imagine settling much further than Jupiter and there doesn't seem to be much hope for change in that regard, and many humans don't even think it's a good idea. But. Eunice Akinya, matriarch of the Akinya clan which has a monopoly on mining asteroids and other such goodies, discovered something sixty years early that may have changed everything . . . Apparently there are two more books in this series--it took me so long to get it off the tbr shelfthat Reynolds has written more!--and I am looking forward to them. I'm waffling at rating it a 4 star, there was a bit too much of a "treasure hunt" plot and some digressions, relationships, and even ideas, that never quite gelled for me (Geoffrey and his elephants, for example). Geoffrey is an annoyingly immature person, his cousins are flat characters. His sister Sunday is a strong character from the start, but often it was the secondary characters or the "constructs" that had more character! It got better as it went along, so I will be seeking out the next one at least. ***3/4 ( )
  sibyx | Oct 13, 2015 |
Could not get into it. ( )
  scifi_jon | Jun 16, 2015 |
...Overall I quite liked this first book in the Poseidon's Children series. Despite being a bit too well padded, Blue Remembered Earth is one of Reynolds' better novels. I very much appreciate the way he focuses on Earth a bit more in this novel, as a starting point for what undoubtedly will develop into a deep space adventure later on in the series. The plot itself may be a bit weak but in other respects the novel has a lot to offer to the reader. It's probably a book that requires a bit of patience from the reader, especially since, being the first in a series, it doesn't try to answer all our questions, but I suspect that once the third volume is out, it will turn out to have been worth it. In other words, I'm quite looking forward to reading On a Steel Breeze.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Jan 1, 2015 |
Far too long sadly - and a ludicrous plot about a treasure hunt that we are supposed to believe stayed secret for 60 years and was still possible to follow. It's Reynolds, so still good though. I expect the rest of the series will be similar, I may have read enough. ( )
  se71 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Hard to put down. Can't believe I have to wait until next year for volume 2! ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
Reynolds's near-future is so brilliantly extrapolated, with original ideas fizzing off every page, that the reader is left awestruck at what further wonders await in the following volumes. Excellent.

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bella, BarbaraPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith-Kobn…Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind

How time has ticked a heaven round the stars."

—Dylan Thomas
For Stephen Baxter and Paul McAuley: friends, colleagues and keepers of the flame.
It is necessary to speak of beginnings.

One hundred and fifty years from now, in a world where Africa is the dominant technological and economic power, and where crime, war, disease and poverty have been banished to history, Geoffrey Akinya wants only one thing: to be left in peace, so that he can continue his studies into the elephants of the Amboseli basin. But Geoffrey's family, the vast Akinya business empire, has other plans. After the death of Eunice, Geoffrey's grandmother, erstwhile space explorer and entrepreneur, something awkward has come to light on the Moon, and Geoffrey is tasked - well, blackmailed, really - to go up there and make sure the family's name stays suitably unblemished. But little does Geoffrey realise - or anyone else in the family, for that matter - what he's about to unravel. Eunice's ashes have already have been scattered in sight of Kilimanjaro. But the secrets she died with are about to come back out into the open, and they could change everything. Or shatter this near-utopia into shards . . .

Rond 2160 wordt op de maan een ontdekking gedaan die verreikende consequenties zal hebben.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible