Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's…

Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children)

Member:vanion
Title:Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children)
Authors:
Info:Gollancz, Paperback

Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds

I liked this one. It was not as harsh as some other novels by Reynolds. The characters were better and more likable. The setting in a future Africa was great, not too many other books even notice Africa. I do wish the alien technology hadn't been involved though. That didn't seem actually necessary and detracted from the more positive human advances. ( )
  Pferdina | Jan 15, 2017 |
There's a mystery woven in this story that keeps you reading. What did the main character's grandmother do or discover that has some of family so concerned? Actually, I'm never entirely sure what they suspect it is. The main character (Geoffrey) doesn't seem to have a clue, nor does his sister. The family is rich, though, and they don't want anything to besmirch their business's reputation. The politics and economics of the future Earth setting are a bit vague, but there are spaceships and asteroid stations and androids, and none are ridiculously implausible or clear violations of known physics, so that's a big plus. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
If there was a sixth star, I'd give it, too. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
A convoluted but enjoyable read... just not on a par with the far future Revelation Space books for me. I'm sure it'll be a grower, like House of Suns, which didn't thrill to start with but scenes keep coming back in later weeks... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of Reynolds, but he didn't deliver the goods for me with this book, which is oddly strange since I'd consider this one of his best written ever. Confused? I suppose I'd be too. Here's what I mean by well-written but not a great book.

Reynolds is hitting his writing stride. The characters in this book were well rounded (really and truly), visualizing the events on the page was quite easy, and the many settings had real life to them. The problem was the story itself. It lacked punch. It had some good moments where I felt the books was going to take off but almost always the story returned to being flat.

The other notable item was the tech. There was some cool tech in the book, but not enough for my tastes. When you read Reynolds earlier novels, you have a sense that tech is very real, alive, and not necessarily in our control or are friends. This book wasn't in that realm. Too bad.

But hey, Reynolds had earned a pass or two from this reader. He clearly enjoyed writing this story and sometimes that's who a writer writes for. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Reynolds's near-future is so brilliantly extrapolated, with original ideas fizzing off every page, that the reader is left awestruck at what further wonders await in the following volumes. Excellent.

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bella, BarbaraPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind

How time has ticked a heaven round the stars."

—Dylan Thomas
For Stephen Baxter and Paul McAuley: friends, colleagues and keepers of the flame.
It is necessary to speak of beginnings.

One hundred and fifty years from now, in a world where Africa is the dominant technological and economic power, and where crime, war, disease and poverty have been banished to history, Geoffrey Akinya wants only one thing: to be left in peace, so that he can continue his studies into the elephants of the Amboseli basin. But Geoffrey's family, the vast Akinya business empire, has other plans. After the death of Eunice, Geoffrey's grandmother, erstwhile space explorer and entrepreneur, something awkward has come to light on the Moon, and Geoffrey is tasked - well, blackmailed, really - to go up there and make sure the family's name stays suitably unblemished. But little does Geoffrey realise - or anyone else in the family, for that matter - what he's about to unravel. Eunice's ashes have already have been scattered in sight of Kilimanjaro. But the secrets she died with are about to come back out into the open, and they could change everything. Or shatter this near-utopia into shards . . .

Rond 2160 wordt op de maan een ontdekking gedaan die verreikende consequenties zal hebben.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,658,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible