Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's…

Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children)

Title:Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children)
Info:Gollancz, Paperback

Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds

There's a mystery woven in this story that keeps you reading. What did the main character's grandmother do or discover that has some of family so concerned? Actually, I'm never entirely sure what they suspect it is. The main character (Geoffrey) doesn't seem to have a clue, nor does his sister. The family is rich, though, and they don't want anything to besmirch their business's reputation. The politics and economics of the future Earth setting are a bit vague, but there are spaceships and asteroid stations and androids, and none are ridiculously implausible or clear violations of known physics, so that's a big plus. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
If there was a sixth star, I'd give it, too. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
A convoluted but enjoyable read... just not on a par with the far future Revelation Space books for me. I'm sure it'll be a grower, like House of Suns, which didn't thrill to start with but scenes keep coming back in later weeks... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of Reynolds, but he didn't deliver the goods for me with this book, which is oddly strange since I'd consider this one of his best written ever. Confused? I suppose I'd be too. Here's what I mean by well-written but not a great book.

Reynolds is hitting his writing stride. The characters in this book were well rounded (really and truly), visualizing the events on the page was quite easy, and the many settings had real life to them. The problem was the story itself. It lacked punch. It had some good moments where I felt the books was going to take off but almost always the story returned to being flat.

The other notable item was the tech. There was some cool tech in the book, but not enough for my tastes. When you read Reynolds earlier novels, you have a sense that tech is very real, alive, and not necessarily in our control or are friends. This book wasn't in that realm. Too bad.

But hey, Reynolds had earned a pass or two from this reader. He clearly enjoyed writing this story and sometimes that's who a writer writes for. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Blue Remembered Earth
Author: Alastair Reynolds
Publisher: Ace / Berkeley / Penguin Books
Published In: New York
Date: 2012
Pgs: 512

Ten thousand years of future history tracing the Akinya family from Africa across the solar system into interstellar space and the dawn of galactic society. Africa has become an economic and technological superpower 150 years in our future. Geoffrey Akinya is being drawn into the secrets that his grandmother Eunice kept prior to her death, the secrets that could shatter the utopian world that many Earthlings are living in. Secrets hidden in the glove of an old astronaut’s glove kept in a safe deposit box at a bank on the Moon. Secrets that could fracture family and society. Secrets that may be the key to the future of Man.

Science fiction
Space opera

Why this book:
I love Reynolds work. This was sitting there taunting me at a dollar store, so it had to come home with me.

Favorite Character:
Geoffrey Akinya. He’s the central and main character. The majority of what does happen in the book flows through him and his perspective. He seems sort of milquetoast through most of the story. The bravest thing he does is when he goes against the cousins wishes and tells Sunday about the astronaut glove that he recovered from Eunice’s safety deposit box at the bank on the Moon. Up until, he takes a swing at one of the cousins. At that point, another whole level of his character is revealed. He takes on an added dimension that I wish he had had throughout the story.

The Feel:
The novel feels big. Big future history. Big Africa. Big space. Big future. Big science fiction.

Favorite Scene:
The railgun to orbit under Kilimanjaro firing at Eunice’s funeral.

The chase across East Africa as the Mechanism and the Family chase Geoffrey for his daring to attack another human being, justifiably or not.

The run across the Evolvarium in search of the next of Eunice’s clues. And the machine intelligences that run rampant across that region scavenging and “living” out their lives.

The rapprochement scenes between Geoffrey and Hector on the Winter Queen and Sunday and Lucas, via proxy telepresence, on Mars. This also fed into the flowering of Geoffrey’s character.

Memphis’ funeral on the snows of Kilimanjaro.

The denouement.

The pacing is glacial. Nothing happens for large swaths of text. Luckily the mystery and future history of the novel are so well done. Good prose makes up for a lot. The pace does pick up after they get beyond Earth. Read more in episodic chunks like it was a television series instead of a movie, it flows much better.

Hmm Moments:
I like that this represents a post-climate change world with humanity taking responsibility and trying to live in harmony with her damaged homeworld.

The settings are great. Tiamat, the Indian Ocean subsea habitat filled with altered humans who have made themselves into fully aquatic lifeforms. The Evolvarium on Mars, a survival of the fittest arena a couple thousand miles across where machine intelligences battle for survival and scavenge for bits and pieces to improve themselves and occasionally create something unique that human scavengers swoop in and appropriate for the “greater good”.

The intellectual soap operatic family elements of the story would normally have turned me off, but played against the big sci fi background of this novel and with the well apportioned action that slips and slides through the story and the awesome special effects of the worlds that the story moves through, the story makes me smile.

The Pans flipping back and forth gives them a schizo aspect that considering how the rest of the culture looks up on them makes sense. But it leaves you wondering if there are factions within the Pans. Large groups of people, even ones following the same causes, won’t always act in unison. Now take and spread those people across the light minutes and light hours of the solar system and let a extraterrestrial game of telephone grow between those factions and maybe this is what you would get. Though, it remains to be seen if there are different factions within the Pans. I could see Truro and Arethusa falling onto different paths and leading factions at odds with each other.

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
They would have to butcher it between novel, screenplay, and the screen, possibly beyond recognition. Though as I’m reading it, I could see this as a television series.

Casting call:
Sam Jackson as Memphis, the Akinya’s Alfred, would be great casting.

Whoopi Goldberg as Eunice, the matriarch of the Akinya family.

John Boyega as Geoffrey Akinya.

Last Page Sound:
That was awesome.

Author Assessment:
Totally read something else by Reynolds.

Editorial Assessment:
Could’ve been encouraged to put his foot on the gas a bit here and there. On second thought, this was excellent told in just this way.

Knee Jerk Reaction:
instant classic

Disposition of Book:

Would recommend to:
genre fans
__________________________________________________​ ( )
  texascheeseman | Jan 10, 2016 |
Reynolds's near-future is so brilliantly extrapolated, with original ideas fizzing off every page, that the reader is left awestruck at what further wonders await in the following volumes. Excellent.

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bella, BarbaraPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind

How time has ticked a heaven round the stars."

—Dylan Thomas
For Stephen Baxter and Paul McAuley: friends, colleagues and keepers of the flame.
It is necessary to speak of beginnings.

One hundred and fifty years from now, in a world where Africa is the dominant technological and economic power, and where crime, war, disease and poverty have been banished to history, Geoffrey Akinya wants only one thing: to be left in peace, so that he can continue his studies into the elephants of the Amboseli basin. But Geoffrey's family, the vast Akinya business empire, has other plans. After the death of Eunice, Geoffrey's grandmother, erstwhile space explorer and entrepreneur, something awkward has come to light on the Moon, and Geoffrey is tasked - well, blackmailed, really - to go up there and make sure the family's name stays suitably unblemished. But little does Geoffrey realise - or anyone else in the family, for that matter - what he's about to unravel. Eunice's ashes have already have been scattered in sight of Kilimanjaro. But the secrets she died with are about to come back out into the open, and they could change everything. Or shatter this near-utopia into shards . . .

Rond 2160 wordt op de maan een ontdekking gedaan die verreikende consequenties zal hebben.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,770,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible