Golfing With God by Roland Merullo

Golfing With God (edition 2006)

by Roland Merullo

Member:chefcmore
Title:Golfing With God
Authors:Roland Merullo
Info:Thorndike Press (2006), Hardcover, 336 pages

Golfing with God: A Novel of Heaven and Earth by Roland Merullo

God has a bad case of “the yips.” For non-golfers (and I’m one), that means trouble with short putting strokes. Apparently there aren’t many golfers in heaven, so God sends a lieutenant, Julian Ever, to talk to Herman “Hank” Fins-Winston, a golf pro in his last days on earth, about helping God with his/her game. (It seems that in heaven God has many incarnations: sometimes he, sometimes, she, various races, various ages.)

Being God’s golf teacher puts Hank in with some very good company; he winds up playing rounds with the Buddha, Jesus (who doesn’t keep score), his mother Mary and Moses. After a few lessons, Hank decides that in order to truly improve, teacher and student need to return to earth – despite the fact there are 8,187 golf courses in heaven. Once they get to earth, Hank begins to suspect that it is he, not God, who’s supposed to be learning something.

Although I’m not a golfer, I really loved reading Golfing with God. The author takes care to explain enough of the terms that the story is clear even to non-golfers. I suspect, however, that someone who understands the game and its nuances would enjoy it even more.

The underlying theology of Golfing with God is very interesting – and attractive -- and its concept of heaven thoroughly captivating.

By Diana, first published at www.cozylibrary.com. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jan 20, 2011 |
Okay, so Hank Fins-Winston, a golf pro when he was alive, is summoned by God for help with His (or Her) golf game. They play courses on Heaven and Earth, with a fascinating array of fellow golfers (didja know that Jesus and Buddha are avid golfers?). Of course, the whole excursion is a teaching experience, and our narrator of the links is finally brought before God to learn the final phase of his millions of life cycles to date. I'm a bit of a sucker for books like this, and there's a surprising number of them. This is not the best of them, but it's not the worst, and was mostly enjoyable, occasionally profound, and frequently humorous. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 12, 2011 |
Preferred Breakfast with Budda.
  shazjhb | Jan 18, 2010 |
I'm not a golfer, but this book was very fun to read. And I was never quite sure how everything was going to turn out. It was also a very easy, quick read, which I liked since I could finish the book in 2 or 3 sittings. Kinda makes me want to pick up the sport, or find one thing in life that I am as good at as the main character was at golf... ( )
  mfoltz80 | Jul 7, 2009 |
Light and fast moving. Has a good chartacter and a intense plot. A real treat for a golfer and a touching book about looking at one's self and see how to improve. ( )
  loubigfish | Aug 5, 2008 |

"Herman 'Hank' Fins-Winston was a pro golfer destined for greatness. Now he lives in a condominium on the thirteenth fairway of one of heaven's glorious courses -- a fact he finds surprising and amusing, since for one reason or another, a fair percentage of golfers never make it to paradise. Hank is having the time of his afterlife until he's summoned one idyllic morning to play a round with the Almighty. It seems that God is having some trouble with His game. As they play the heavenly courses, both in paradise and back on Earth, Hank comes to realize that what began as a golf lesson has become a spiritual journey." --from back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,692,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible