Trance by Kelly Meding

Info:Pocket Books (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Trance by Kelly Meding

Not really into comic books or graphic novels and thought that I might not like it. But the writing pulled me in and enjoyed the start of the series. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Liked the sample and likely to buy. Interesting premise; character likeable. Yup, superheroes and dystopia are both not my thing but this seems to be a unique take.
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
It sounds weird to say this is a realistic superhero book, but that's the best way to put it. This is not a shiny four-color world, not even when those colors are as dark as Watchmen's or the setting as gritty as a mid-90s Punisher comic. Fights are dangerous, people get seriously hurt, and major characters die permanent deaths.

In other words, these heroes are PEOPLE, flawed and uncertain...and that's exactly what makes this book excellent. I've enjoyed Meding's Dreg City series thoroughly, and this has me equally hooked. I look forward to her having a long and prolific career. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
I LOVED this book, seriously, I loved it. The cheezy sex scene around the middle of the book didn't even detour my 5 star rating. I was attached to the main character (Trance) from page one and hardly put the book down. I started it on a Friday and was finished by Monday night having time off for my anniversary dinner (Saturday night) and Church on Sunday.

Myles, I think you'll like it. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
Debut of another great series from Meding. There are some similarities but not so much that I felt like I was reading the same books with different names. I liked the main character. She was fallible but her self doubt and fears struggled against her increasing belief in herself as she grew stronger throughout the story. She cracked a lot of jokes but was aware that this was a defense mechanism. She also insult people all the time like broken heroines so often do in UF.

I loved her relationship with the love interest. They respected each other, treated each other well, and recognized one another's strengths. They were complete equals as people and he respected her lead when she was in charge. He was sensitive without being wimpy. (A couple of men cry in this book and it's appropriate and not unmanly at all.) They're relationship isn't as intense and possessive as in the Dreg City series and it's good. It's intimate enough and beautiful.

In general the book wasn't sexist or racist. Although there were not enough people of color, the ones that were there were powerful, brave and emotionally strong. The only annoyingly typical thing was that the people who had been in power previously, both good and bad, were both white men.

Themes of love, trust and redemption were prevalent and nothing was black and white. No one was 100% good and at one point the protagonist had appropriate sympathy for the only person who was 100% bad. I really like that way of thinking and it's a little unusual for traditional superhero stories. (I know that that is changing.)

That was fun, too, reading about ordinary people with extraordinary abilities. I am not big on superhero stories so I'm not the best judge but this felt fresh and original. I really felt these were regular people which I never quite felt with, say, X-men. I just don't get the costumes though. Why do most of them have to be so garish? I did like Trance's though. That I could get behind.

The only real problem I had was with where/how they originally imprisoned the bad guys. It just doesn't make sense to me. I also didn't like the explanation of why big cities were deserted.

I also hate that there weren't any good foster parents, only bad. A child has a hellish time in foster care even with the best foster parents; you can provide angst for a character from their foster care experiences without vilifying us. There are a lot of bad ones but there are a lot more good foster parents out there, people who open their homes to traumatized kids who act out in inappropriate ways. It's hard being a foster parent and most of us do it out of a desire to help, out of compassion.

Okay off my soap box.

Over all the world building worked for me. Again I liked how nothing was black and white throughout the course of the story. This was a good story and an excellent start to the series.
1 vote maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
For all the girls who ever closed their eyes and dreamed of being a superhero.
The bronze man's head was melting.

Kelly Meding’s war-ravaged Los Angeles is ground zero for the ultimate Meta human showdown in this sexy, action-packed new series.

Fifteen years ago, Teresa “Trance” West was a skilled telepath and a proud member of the Ranger Corps. But ever since the Rangers were inexplicably rendered powerless at the climax of the devastating Meta War, she’s bounced from one dead-end job to another. Now her powers have reappeared just as mysteriously as they vanished— only they’re completely transformed and more potent than ever. And they’re threatening to destroy her.Trance heads to Los Angeles to track down the surviving Rangers and discover who restored her powers—and why—but a phantom enemy is determined to kill them before they can reassemble. As they dodge his deadly attacks and come to terms with their new role as heroes, Trance and the rest of the team set out to annihilate the sinister madman... only to discover their own powers are his greatest weapons.(less)

Paperback, 418 pages
Published October 25th 2011
by Pocket Books

"Fifteen years ago, Teresa 'Trance' West was a skilled telepath and a proud member of the Ranger Corps. But ever since the Rangers were inexplicably rendered powerless at the climax of the devastating Meta War, she's bounced from one dead-end job to another. Now her powers have reappeared just as mysteriously as they vanished--only they're completely transformed and more potent than ever. And they're threatening to destroy her."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,603,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible