Welcome to Bordertown by Holly Black

Welcome to Bordertown

by Holly Black (Editor), Ellen Kushner (Editor), Ellen Kushner (Editor)

Other authors: Christopher Barzak (Contributor), Holly Black (Contributor), Steven Brust (Contributor), Emma Bull (Contributor), Cassandra Clare (Contributor)18 more, Charles de Lint (Contributor), Cory Doctorow (Contributor), Amal El-Mohtar (Contributor), Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Nalo Hopkinson (Contributor), Alaya Dawn Johnson (Contributor), Annette Curtis Klause (Contributor), Ellen Kushner (Contributor), Patricia A. McKillip (Contributor), Dylan Meconis (Illustrator), Tim Pratt (Contributor), Sara Ryan (Contributor), Delia Sherman (Contributor), Will Shetterly (Contributor), Janni Lee Simner (Contributor), Catherynne M. Valente (Contributor), Terri Windling (Contributor), Jane Yolen (Contributor)

Series: Borderland (anthology)

2921938,453 (4.05)10

A solid collection of short stories set in the shared land of Bordertown. Like all collections, some stories/poems were better than others. ( )
  lgildersleeve | Feb 6, 2014 |
Very enjoyable read - not a weak story in the lot. Overall it's a darker view of Bordertown, showing the problems as well as the joy. ( )
  CateK | Jan 21, 2014 |
A remarkably strong collection of short stories* from the shared-world universe of Bordertown, a city that sits on the border between the World (earth) and the Realm (Fairyland). Despite being the fifth collection of stories, you don't need to know anything about Bordertown before picking this book up. All the stories are self-contained and there's a primer at the front for any concepts or terms that you may stumble over. I should know. I'm a "noob" myself to this series.

The conceit for the anthology is clever. Like Brigadoon, Bordertown vanishes from the World for a time, but now the Ways are open once more, with one complication: While thirteen days passed over there, thirteen years have passed over here. Thus is Borderland unchanged from it's previous incarnations from years ago (appealing to old fans), and is confronted by people from today's world (appealing to new readers). Much of the narrative power in these fourteen short stories comes from exploring that friction.

There was one outstanding story, six excellent tales, six average tales, and one disappointment. Not a bad track record!

Outstanding *****

"A Tangle of Green Men" by Charles de'Lint
Joey, a troubled, young Native American fresh out of juvvie, tries to turn his life around. A chance meeting with an eccentric family of fairy tale lovers changes his life in ways no one expects. This is a really simple and touching love story told with a deft and gentle hand, that gently blends Native American and Celtic myth. The last and best story of the collection.

Excellent ****

"Shannon's Law" by Cory Doctorow
Leave it to Cory to take a fantastical, otherworldly setting, and tell a tell of networking and information theory.

"Incunabulum" by Emma Bull
An interesting tale of sorcery induced amnesia that leads it's victim to wonder if he wants his memory back, or if he is more than man he was meant to be without it.

"A Prince of Thirteen Days" by Alaya Dawn Johnson
A young teen who is destined to fall in love in thirteen days is determined to make a statue in the park.he object of her affections.

"The Sages of Elsewhere" by Will Shetterly
A wolfman who runs a used book store finds his life threatened when he comes into possession of a very old (and very talkative) book.

"We Do Not Come in Peace" by Christopher Barzak
A street musician takes a new arrival to Bordertown under her wing. But before long, he's sowing the seeds of revolution.

"The Rowan Gentleman" by Holly Black & Cassandra Clare
A murder at the Magic Lantern Theatre sets Ashley, a young actress, on the trail of a notorious villain. A fun tale full of buckles that need swashing, and 'dos' that are very derring indeed.

Average ***

"Welcome to Bordertown" by Ellen Kushner & Terri Windling
A little brother is determined to find his older sister when Bordertown returns. But the older sister is no longer older, and the little brother is no longer little. A good intro to the rest of the stories. Co-written by the editor and creator of the series.

"A Voice Like a Hole" by Catherynne M. Valente
Fig, a runaway girl named with a beautiful voice, doesn't believe in the magic of Bordertown, but runs into Mara, a beautiful girl who does. But the price to reach it is different for each.

"Crossings" by Janni Lee Simner
Miranda & Analise brave the crossing into Borderland in the quest for love. Alas, they've read too many teenage vampire romances. . .

"Our Stars, Our Selves" by Tim Pratt
A noob just arrived to Bordertown can't seem to stop being hit on by an Elf. She wishes he'd go away, but you have to be careful what you wish for in this city.

"Elf Blood" by Annette Curtis Klause
A victim of a terrible disease, young Lizzie believes she knows the only cure. But an immortal will have to die to get it . . .

"Ours is the Prettiest" by Nalo Hopkinson
Gladstone's new girlfriend is not what she seems. A visitor to Bordertown, she's not from the World or the Realm. But what else is there? I appreciated the story for it's complex character relationships, but I'm not sure I understood the end.

Meh **

"Fair Trade" by Sara Ryan & Dylan Meconis
It takes more than being the sole comic in a short story collection to be unique. A generic story that doesn't bring anything new to the table, which is too bad since I'm a big fan of comics.

----------
* - There are also some poems and songs, but with the exception of one strong entry by Neil Gaiman, it's thin gruel and not worth commenting on. ( )
  dgmillo | Jun 2, 2013 |
I grew up in the generation *after* the Bordertown series, so this is my first experience. That said, I really really liked it. Bordertown definitely has a 1980s NYC urban decay feel to it and makes me nostalgic for a scene that was over long before I was allowed to ride the subway by myself.

That said, the contents of this anthology are mixed. There are some poems that break up the stories. The poems themselves aren't bad, but they give the anthology more of an "I'm an anthropological tome" feel and jarred me out of Bordertown.

I love the way Black and Kushner put together the anthology--the first story is not only riveting, but lays out the landscape for all of us noobs. And the last story *really* worked as the book's last story. And in between, there's a Bordertown rewriting of [b:The Scarlet Pimpernel|136116|The Scarlet Pimpernel|Emmuska Orczy|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1172075548s/136116.jpg|750426]. (Not gonna say which one 'cuz that'll spoil the surprise)

I also love that many of the stories have either characters of color or mixed-race. AND that their race/ethnicity is just part of who they are, not the central focus of the story.

Definitely going to look for the older Bordertown books now. ( )
  VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
Eh. Possibly should not have read in less than three days, as everything started to blend together. Bordertown: awesome on its own terms, not yours! I get it.

The best of the lot, for me, was the Kushner-Windling piece -- mostly because it was delightful happymaking story-I-would-like-to-tell -- Emma Bull's "Incunabulum," and Tim Pratt's "Or Stars, Our Selves" (although holy wow, worst title ever). Okay, so there were some good parts, including Charles de Lint's finale, which isn't really about Bordertown at all. Nalo Hopkinsen's Mardi-Gras-inspired piece was interesting and bewildering in roughly equal measure. Cory Doctorow, as always, has Ideas, and then his writing fails them. (I am not what you'd call a fan of Cory D.) That said, he does come the closest to writing truly modern urban fantasy, to capturing the ~*magic*~ of the twenty-first century. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 1, 2013 |

Valente, Catherynne M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The postcard came three days ago.

Bordertown: a city on the border between our human world and the elfin realm. Runaway teens come from both sides of the border to find adventure, to find themselves. Elves play in rock bands and race down the street on spell-powered motorbikes. Human kids recreate themselves in the squats and clubs and artists' studios of Soho. Terri Windling's original Bordertown series was the forerunner of today's urban fantasy, introducing authors that included Charles de Lint, Will Shetterly, Emma Bull, and Ellen Kushner. In this volume of all-new work (including a 15-page graphic story), the original writers are now joined by the generation that grew up dreaming of Bordertown, including acclaimed authors Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Cory Doctorow, Neil Gaiman, Catherynne M. Valente, and many more. They all meet here on the streets of Bordertown in more than twenty new interconnected songs, poems, and stories.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:15 -0400)

Stories and poems set in the urban land of Bordertown, a city on the edge of the faerie and human world, populated by human and elfin runaways.

90 wanted1 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible