The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne…

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette

by Jeanne Birdsall

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
Just about perfect. As others have said, it feels sweet and nostalgic, and has a lot more love than so many books now, but it's also fully in touch with enough modern issues that it feels entirely real. The only minor quibble I have is that Batty is five now, and her sisters should let her grow up a bit and not baby her so much. Maybe in the next book she'll tell them that she can bathe herself.

A taste so you can see why the little girl in me loves these characters. Skye, the most tomboyish, is admitting to Jane, only a bit younger, that a few months ago she kissed a classmate. "He promised he'd finally stop asking me out if I kissed him just once. So I kissed him, then punched him. He didn't seem to mind." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Despite a very implausible coincidence as a centerpiece of this story, I did find it enjoyable. A few too many crushes for my tastes, but at least the realistic portrayal of a pre-teen summer fling might have helped scare my nearly ten-year-old off from being interested in "dating" for a few more years. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Apr 7, 2015 |
I find my heart must belong to any book that contains lines like this: "Jane had occasionally tried to develop her own hidden depths, but she never could decide what to hide and how far down." ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Jeanne Birdsall proves that great contemporary fiction doesn't have to be overly angsty. The Penderwick sisters are back for another summer adventure, this time on the coast of Maine, and Skye tries her hand (somewhat unwillingly) at being the OAP. Birdsall's subtle humor and wonderful characters make this contemporary story as timeless as [b:Little Women|1934|Little Women (Little Women, #1)|Louisa May Alcott|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309282614s/1934.jpg|3244642]. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Third Penderwicks book, in which they go off to Maine without Rosalind. But Jeffrey is there, and it’s actually his story that really takes center stage. I appreciated the way Birdsall worked with what could have been a difficult storyline. [Nov. 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |

When summer comes around, it's off to the beach for Rosalind . . . and off to Maine with Aunt Claire for the rest of the Penderwick girls, as well as their old friend, Jeffrey.

That leaves Skye as OAP (oldest available Penderwick)—a terrifying notion for all, but for Skye especially. Things look good as they settle into their cozy cottage, with a rocky shore, enthusiastic seagulls, a just-right corner store, and a charming next-door neighbor.  But can Skye hold it together long enough to figure out Rosalind's directions about not letting Batty explode?  Will Jane's Love Survey come to a tragic conclusion after she meets the alluring Dominic? Is Batty—contrary to all accepted wisdom—the only Penderwick capable of carrying a tune?  And will Jeffrey be able to keep peace between the girls . . . these girls who are his second, and most heartfelt, family?

It's a rollicking ride as the Penderwicks continue their unforgettable adventures in a story filled with laughs and joyful tears!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:29 -0400)

When the three younger Penderwick sisters go to Maine with Aunt Claire and are separated from oldest sister Rosalind for the first time in their lives, an uncertain Skye is left in charge as the OAP--oldest available Penderwick.

106 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,187,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible