Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the…

Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside (Popular Culture and… (edition 2010)

by Courtland Lewis (Editor)

Member:Kaldis96
Title:Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
Authors:Courtland Lewis (Editor)
Info:Open Court (2010), Edition: Original, 429 pages

Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside by Courtland Lewis (Editor)

In this collection of essays, various philosophers explore philosophic ideas using examples from Doctor Who. Having suffered through two philosophy courses during my undergrad, some of the ideas and theories explored here were familiar to me but made more palatable by Doctor Who references. Occasionally, I wished my philosophy courses had used this book as a textbook but, of course, I hadn't watched any Doctor Who back then. That being said, not even a plethora of Doctor Who references could get me to alter my opinion that many philosophers are pretentious and that while the ideas they explore are interesting, their arguments often leave me exasperated. That being said, if you're a Doctor Who fan this one might intrigue you and if you like philosophy and Doctor Who then this book will likely have you over the moon. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 21, 2015 |
As with the others in the series, this book presents philosophical concepts that are not only easy to grasp, but easy to remember. Unlike the others, this one places less emphasis on individual philosophers and a bit more on the philosophical concepts.

Much of the book looks at identity and existence, something the Doctor deals with time and again. It examines who we are and why we believe that, and how we decide the identity of others. What would make us change our minds? They delve into the common issues such as creating two of a person or the slow replacement of body parts until the original is gone.

The book continues to look at time and ethics, two more topics that are big in the series. The last section of the book examines culture. Throughout the book, anecdotes and stories involving many of the Doctor's opponents from early episodes through the latest and occasional references to the comics.

This is a great book for any Dr. Who fans with a passing interest in philosophy, or not. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Apr 5, 2013 |

Wardecker, MarkContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Webb, EdContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willmott, ChrisContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Worley, PeterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
On November 22nd, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, closing an important chapter of American history and culture.

A collection of essays introducing philosophical ideas to a general audience through discussions of different aspects of the cult science fiction television series Doctor Who. I co-authored a chapter in there!

In Doctor Who and Philosophy, a team of mostly human philosophers (who are also fans) looks at the deeper issues raised by the Doctor's mind-blowing adventures. They discuss, among other topics, the Doctor's philosophy of science, the ethics of a universe with millions of intelligent species, what makes one life-form more important than another, whether time travelers can change history, and how the Doctor Who TV show is changing the world we live in. The chapters draw freely on both the classic series (1963–1989) and the new series. The book includes a collection of entertaining and insightful quotes from Doctor Who plus a complete list of episodes and companions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:27 -0400)

Philosophers look at the deeper issues raised by the adventures of Doctor Who, the main character in the long-running science fiction TV series of the same name.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,271,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible