Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna…

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

by Susanna Clarke

Series: Clarke's Faerie Stories

19,58157582 (3.96)1 / 843
    The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (billiecat, celtic)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Little, Big by John Crowley (VisibleGhost)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (derelicious, jonathankws)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (-Eva-, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Magical rivalries are at the heart of these unconventional Fantasy novels, which play out over decades and against elaborate, atmospheric 19th-century backdrops. Their initially relaxed pacing gains momentum as the various narrative threads dramatically converge.… (more)
    The king of Elfland's daughter by Lord Dunsany (billiecat)
    billiecat: Clarke's descriptions of Faerie share the dreamlike qualities of Dunsany's novel.
    The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield (majkia)
    majkia: both books evoked the same sort of feeling for me.
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (Rodo)
    Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (saltmanz)
    saltmanz: Both extrememly atmospheric books, with vivid visuals and memorable characters.
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (TheSpecialistsCat)
    TheSpecialistsCat: Both Clarke and Mirrlees lived briefly in Spain, then returned home to write about fairies and also, ostensibly, what it means to be English.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (clif_hiker)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both have the same "Jane-Austen-meets-Harry-Potter" vibe to them; "Jonathan Strange" is denser and more grown-up, while "Sorcery & Cecelia" is funnier and more of a romp.
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (ErlendSkjelten)
    ErlendSkjelten: I don't remember making this recommendation, much less why I did; they are very different books. I think I felt that they both conjured up the same mystic mood, and they are both concerned with a very British magic.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (hiredman)
    The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton (flissp)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (Anonymous user)
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (spiphany)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (Patangel)
    Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Books which focus on a fascinating historical Britain, but with added fun like magicians and more.
    Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud (clif_hiker)

English (561)  French (5)  Japanese (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (575)
This is real favourite of mine, and it's the third time I've read it and I devoured it. It combines a crisp eighteenth century novel with magic in a brilliantly seamless way, as the gentlemen magicians go about trying to impose values of rational thought and practical application to the restoration of British magic, denying or overwriting or suppressing the historical roots of that magic deep in Britain's folkloric past, far too dangerous and difficult to control for their liking - or at least for the liking of Mr Norrell. Mr Strange's sympathies lean elsewhere. Secret histories lurk in casual asides and old legends and tales and footnotes. Female magic is particularly suppressed, and if Mr Norrell has is way, it will remain so. Drawing room dramas, Napoleonic warfare, dreadful enchantments enduring under everyone's noses and the steadily growing influence of the Raven King kept me hooked, but it's the brilliantly drawn characters that compelled me to keep reading long after my poor old eyes had started to boil like eggs in the pot. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
This book took me by surprised. Who would've thought that over 800 pages would be too short?
This book had me intrigued and at sometimes, giggling behind the pages. It has my type of subtle humour. Oh and the elegant writing style that emanated Dickens; Susanna Clarke is a magician.
Loved every word of this book. A new favourite. Seriously recommend. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |
Loved every word of this book. A new favourite. Seriously recommend. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |
Overall, I enjoyed this book. The story is mainly a narrative of the lives of the characters. Some of them are profoundly involved with or affected by magic. Others are only tangentially affected, if at all.

The last part of the book (maybe 20%) really picks up, but you need to wade through the first 80% for it to make any sense. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
This was recommended by Lev Grossman as an example of capital-"L" Literature full of ambiguity. I normally don't like Downton Abbey like books (although ironically I do like Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle). And, I wasn't sure if I was ever going to get into the book but the ending was really good. I just feel like it should have gone on a little longer in the end while it spend a little too long in the middle. Overall, worthy of it's high recommendation. ( )
  Lorem | Sep 23, 2015 |
"Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" has been celebrated as an adult Harry Potter story, but it is more like a flatter and flabbier one. Chapters end with no cliff-hanging urgency, and the book is studded with unremarkable remarks. ...

Somehow, the gargantuan battle for the future of English magic does not become a matter of enormous consequence. But it does become the basis for a brand new fantasy world, an intricate and fully imagined universe of bewitching tricks. Maybe that's enough.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Sep 14, 2004)
Her deftly assumed faux-19th century point of view will beguile cynical adult readers into losing themselves in this entertaining and sophisticated fantasy.
Many charmed readers will feel, as I do, that Susanna Clarke has wasted neither her energies nor our many reading hours.
Susanna Clarke, who resides in Cambridge, England, has spent the past decade writing the 700-plus pages of this remarkable book. She's a great admirer of Charles Dickens and has produced a work every bit as enjoyable as The Pickwick Papers, with more than a touch of the early Anne Rice thrown in for good measure.
"Move over, little Harry. It’s time for some real magic."

Susanna Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merla, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenberg, PortiaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He hardly ever spoke of magic, and when he did it was like a history lesson and no one could bear to listen to him.
In memory of my brother, Paul Frederick Gunn Clarke, 1961-2000
Some years ago there was in the city of York a society of magicians.
At sixteen she spoke -- not only French, Italian & German -- which are part of any lady's commonplace accomplishments -- but all the languages of the civilized (and uncivilized) world. She spoke the language of the Scottish Highlands (which is like singing). She spoke Basque, which is a language which rarely makes any impression upon the brains of any other race, so that a man may hear it as often and as long as he likes, but never afterwards be able to recall a single syllable of it. She even learnt the language of a strange country which, Signor Tosetti had been told, some people believed still existed, although no one in the world could say where it was. (The name of the country was Wales.)
It is also true that that his hair had a reddish tinge and, as everybody knows, no one with red hair can ever truly be said to be handsome.
"Soldiers, I am sorry to say, steal everything." He thought for a moment and then added, "Or at least ours do."
"Can a magician kill a man by magic?" Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. "I suppose a magician might," he admitted "but a gentleman never could."
Two odd magicians
restore magic to England
and go kind of nuts. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765356155, Mass Market Paperback)

It's 1808 and that Corsican upstart Napoleon is battering the English army and navy. Enter Mr. Norrell, a fusty but ambitious scholar from the Yorkshire countryside and the first practical magician in hundreds of years. What better way to demonstrate his revival of British magic than to change the course of the Napoleonic wars? Susanna Clarke's ingenious first novel, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, has the cleverness and lightness of touch of the Harry Potter series, but is less a fairy tale of good versus evil than a fantastic comedy of manners, complete with elaborate false footnotes, occasional period spellings, and a dense, lively mythology teeming beneath the narrative. Mr. Norrell moves to London to establish his influence in government circles, devising such powerful illusions as an 11-day blockade of French ports by English ships fabricated from rainwater. But however skillful his magic, his vanity provides an Achilles heel, and the differing ambitions of his more glamorous apprentice, Jonathan Strange, threaten to topple all that Mr. Norrell has achieved. A sparkling debut from Susanna Clarke--and it's not all fairy dust. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

In nineteenth-century England, all is going well for rich, reclusive Mr Norell, who has regained some of the power of England's magicians from the past, until a rival magician, Jonathan Strange, appears and becomes Mr Norrell's pupil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible