Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna…

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Susanna Clarke

22,04667694 (3.95)1 / 993
Member:raak
Title:Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Authors:Susanna Clarke
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2005), Paperback

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (Author) (2004)

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (billiecat, celtic)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Little, Big by John Crowley (VisibleGhost)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (-Eva-, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Magical rivalries are at the heart of these unconventional Fantasy novels, which play out over decades and against elaborate, atmospheric 19th-century backdrops. Their initially relaxed pacing gains momentum as the various narrative threads dramatically converge.… (more)
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (derelicious, jonathankws)
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (billiecat)
    billiecat: Clarke's descriptions of Faerie share the dreamlike qualities of Dunsany's novel.
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (TheSpecialistsCat)
    TheSpecialistsCat: Both Clarke and Mirrlees lived briefly in Spain, then returned home to write about fairies and also, ostensibly, what it means to be English.
    Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (saltmanz)
    saltmanz: Both extrememly atmospheric books, with vivid visuals and memorable characters.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (majkia)
    majkia: both books evoked the same sort of feeling for me.
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (Rodo)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (clif_hiker)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both have the same "Jane-Austen-meets-Harry-Potter" vibe to them; "Jonathan Strange" is denser and more grown-up, while "Sorcery & Cecelia" is funnier and more of a romp.
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (ErlendSkjelten)
    ErlendSkjelten: I don't remember making this recommendation, much less why I did; they are very different books. I think I felt that they both conjured up the same mystic mood, and they are both concerned with a very British magic.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (hiredman)
    The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton (flissp)
    Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (jen.e.moore)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (Patangel)
    Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Books which focus on a fascinating historical Britain, but with added fun like magicians and more.
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (spiphany)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (Anonymous user)

English (658)  French (5)  Japanese (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All languages (674)
I have had this audiobook for quite awhile to listen to and finally decided to give it a go because I was going to be driving 18 hours over a couple days. This book is beautifully written and detailed but is just flat out boring. While Clarke does an excellent job of building a probable world where magic actually existed in London, I always felt very distant from the characters and story. I ended up stopping listening to this about 40% of the way through.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narration was well done. No complaints about the audiobook quality at all.

The story however, meandered between a huge number of characters. I cared less and less about the characters as more and more were introduced and finally gave up on following all the different names. The story was just not interesting. I agreed with most of London society in that Mr. Norrell needed to do something...anything interesting.

Overall this was not the book for me. Although the book is beautifully written, it is an absolute drag to read. I think this book had huge potential, Clarke does an amazing job of creating a probable historical London with magic. However, things moved way too slow, were very drawn out and were just exhaustingly boring. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 15, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book and am impatiently waiting for the next one from Susanna Clarke. ( )
  JMLandels | Jan 11, 2019 |
Got fed up after 150 pages ( )
  jonbee56 | Dec 14, 2018 |
I loved this book most unreasonably. It was one of those that was just not long enough (at 900 pages); I hated to finish. Well-crafted, entertaining, fun - a joy to read. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
The pacing killed me on this. Loved the atmospherics and the world but couldn't get past the molasses pacing. ( )
  alexezell | Nov 14, 2018 |
Her deftly assumed faux-19th century point of view will beguile cynical adult readers into losing themselves in this entertaining and sophisticated fantasy.

Many charmed readers will feel, as I do, that Susanna Clarke has wasted neither her energies nor our many reading hours.

Susanna Clarke, who resides in Cambridge, England, has spent the past decade writing the 700-plus pages of this remarkable book. She's a great admirer of Charles Dickens and has produced a work every bit as enjoyable as The Pickwick Papers, with more than a touch of the early Anne Rice thrown in for good measure.

"Move over, little Harry. It’s time for some real magic."

A chimera of a novel that combines the dark mythology of fantasy with the delicious social comedy of Jane Austen into a masterpiece of the genre that rivals Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Aug 16, 2004)

Clarke, SusannaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merla, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenberg, PortiaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webb, WilliamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He hardly ever spoke of magic, and when he did it was like a history lesson and no one could bear to listen to him.
In memory of my brother, Paul Frederick Gunn Clarke, 1961-2000
Some years ago there was in the city of York a society of magicians.
At sixteen she spoke -- not only French, Italian & German -- which are part of any lady's commonplace accomplishments -- but all the languages of the civilized (and uncivilized) world. She spoke the language of the Scottish Highlands (which is like singing). She spoke Basque, which is a language which rarely makes any impression upon the brains of any other race, so that a man may hear it as often and as long as he likes, but never afterwards be able to recall a single syllable of it. She even learnt the language of a strange country which, Signor Tosetti had been told, some people believed still existed, although no one in the world could say where it was. (The name of the country was Wales.)
It is also true that that his hair had a reddish tinge and, as everybody knows, no one with red hair can ever truly be said to be handsome.
"Soldiers, I am sorry to say, steal everything." He thought for a moment and then added, "Or at least ours do."
"Can a magician kill a man by magic?" Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. "I suppose a magician might," he admitted "but a gentleman never could."

Two odd magicians
restore magic to England
and go kind of nuts. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765356155, Mass Market Paperback)

It's 1808 and that Corsican upstart Napoleon is battering the English army and navy. Enter Mr. Norrell, a fusty but ambitious scholar from the Yorkshire countryside and the first practical magician in hundreds of years. What better way to demonstrate his revival of British magic than to change the course of the Napoleonic wars? Susanna Clarke's ingenious first novel, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, has the cleverness and lightness of touch of the Harry Potter series, but is less a fairy tale of good versus evil than a fantastic comedy of manners, complete with elaborate false footnotes, occasional period spellings, and a dense, lively mythology teeming beneath the narrative. Mr. Norrell moves to London to establish his influence in government circles, devising such powerful illusions as an 11-day blockade of French ports by English ships fabricated from rainwater. But however skillful his magic, his vanity provides an Achilles heel, and the differing ambitions of his more glamorous apprentice, Jonathan Strange, threaten to topple all that Mr. Norrell has achieved. A sparkling debut from Susanna Clarke--and it's not all fairy dust. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

In nineteenth-century England, all is going well for rich, reclusive Mr Norell, who has regained some of the power of England's magicians from the past, until a rival magician, Jonathan Strange, appears and becomes Mr Norrell's pupil.

5 1976

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,685,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible