Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna…

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (edition 2009)

by Susanna Clarke, Neil Gaiman (Introduction)

18,69453789 (3.96)1 / 731
Member:frichadaran
Title:Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Authors:Susanna Clarke
Other authors:Neil Gaiman (Introduction)
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 864 pages

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (billiecat, celtic)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Little, Big by John Crowley (VisibleGhost)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (derelicious, jonathankws)
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (billiecat)
    billiecat: Clarke's descriptions of Faerie share the dreamlike qualities of Dunsany's novel.
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (TheSpecialistsCat)
    TheSpecialistsCat: Both Clarke and Mirrlees lived briefly in Spain, then returned home to write about fairies and also, ostensibly, what it means to be English.
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (-Eva-)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Obdormio)
    Obdormio: I don't remember making this recommendation, much less why I did; they are very different books. I think I felt that they both conjured up the same mystic mood, and they are both concerned with a very British magic.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (clif_hiker)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (majkia)
    majkia: both books evoked the same sort of feeling for me.
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (Rodo)
    Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both have the same "Jane-Austen-meets-Harry-Potter" vibe to them; "Jonathan Strange" is denser and more grown-up, while "Sorcery & Cecelia" is funnier and more of a romp.
    Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (saltmanz)
    saltmanz: Both extrememly atmospheric books, with vivid visuals and memorable characters.
    The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton (flissp)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (hiredman)
    The Prestige by Christopher Priest (Patangel)
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (spiphany)
    Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Books which focus on a fascinating historical Britain, but with added fun like magicians and more.
    The Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud (clif_hiker)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (Anonymous user)

English (524)  French (5)  Japanese (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (537)
I found the first part engaging, and the last part almost wonderful, but in between I almost gave it up. Most people seem to either love it or hate it. I can't say it caused any such extremes of emotion in me. I might actually give it 3.5 stars, but I don't want to mark it 4 because that's more than I want to give it. ( )
  IamFluff | Jul 17, 2014 |
I loved it! It is a fantastical history of magic in England, written in a Victorian style. The history is accurate and well-researched, with magical events woven in. Strongly recommend it! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Two rival magicians battle Napoleon & each other in a cruelly exquisite mock-Austen Regency England. Ambitious in scope, magnificently written, this book rejuvenates fantasy & alternate history. ( )
  nielspeterqm | Jul 6, 2014 |
LONG historical fantasy about the rebirth of magic during the Napoleonic Wars. I really liked the characters and the book was excellent at the beginning and the end, but I felt a little lost in the middle. I am usually a big fan of footnotes (See: Terry Pratchett) but the Kindle made this very difficult, so I gave up on them. At times, I loved the feeling of reading a "contemporary" treatise on recent magical history, and otherwise the tone grated. All told, I have very mixed feelings about this book! ( )
  rosieclaverton | May 18, 2014 |
This book had sections that were staggeringly wonderful, that branded themselves on my brain. I will never forget them (which is really saying something, in my case). I have never felt more literally in actual thrall to a book than I did to this one. And yet it's far from perfect; there were swaths of it, and whole elements of outlook, that were not my thing. But the spellbindingness of it trumps the flaws. ( )
  FrancescaForrest | May 12, 2014 |
"Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" has been celebrated as an adult Harry Potter story, but it is more like a flatter and flabbier one. Chapters end with no cliff-hanging urgency, and the book is studded with unremarkable remarks. ...

Somehow, the gargantuan battle for the future of English magic does not become a matter of enormous consequence. But it does become the basis for a brand new fantasy world, an intricate and fully imagined universe of bewitching tricks. Maybe that's enough.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Sep 14, 2004)

Her deftly assumed faux-19th century point of view will beguile cynical adult readers into losing themselves in this entertaining and sophisticated fantasy.

Many charmed readers will feel, as I do, that Susanna Clarke has wasted neither her energies nor our many reading hours.

Susanna Clarke, who resides in Cambridge, England, has spent the past decade writing the 700-plus pages of this remarkable book. She's a great admirer of Charles Dickens and has produced a work every bit as enjoyable as The Pickwick Papers, with more than a touch of the early Anne Rice thrown in for good measure.

"Move over, little Harry. It’s time for some real magic."

Susanna Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merla, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenberg, PortiaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He hardly ever spoke of magic, and when he did it was like a history lesson and no one could bear to listen to him.
In memory of my brother, Paul Frederick Gunn Clarke, 1961-2000
Some years ago there was in the city of York a society of magicians.
At sixteen she spoke -- not only French, Italian & German -- which are part of any lady's commonplace accomplishments -- but all the languages of the civilized (and uncivilized) world. She spoke the language of the Scottish Highlands (which is like singing). She spoke Basque, which is a language which rarely makes any impression upon the brains of any other race, so that a man may hear it as often and as long as he likes, but never afterwards be able to recall a single syllable of it. She even learnt the language of a strange country which, Signor Tosetti had been told, some people believed still existed, although no one in the world could say where it was. (The name of the country was Wales.)
It is also true that that his hair had a reddish tinge and, as everybody knows, no one with red hair can ever truly be said to be handsome.
"Soldiers, I am sorry to say, steal everything." He thought for a moment and then added, "Or at least ours do."
"Can a magician kill a man by magic?" Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. "I suppose a magician might," he admitted "but a gentleman never could."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765356155, Mass Market Paperback)

It's 1808 and that Corsican upstart Napoleon is battering the English army and navy. Enter Mr. Norrell, a fusty but ambitious scholar from the Yorkshire countryside and the first practical magician in hundreds of years. What better way to demonstrate his revival of British magic than to change the course of the Napoleonic wars? Susanna Clarke's ingenious first novel, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, has the cleverness and lightness of touch of the Harry Potter series, but is less a fairy tale of good versus evil than a fantastic comedy of manners, complete with elaborate false footnotes, occasional period spellings, and a dense, lively mythology teeming beneath the narrative. Mr. Norrell moves to London to establish his influence in government circles, devising such powerful illusions as an 11-day blockade of French ports by English ships fabricated from rainwater. But however skillful his magic, his vanity provides an Achilles heel, and the differing ambitions of his more glamorous apprentice, Jonathan Strange, threaten to topple all that Mr. Norrell has achieved. A sparkling debut from Susanna Clarke--and it's not all fairy dust. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:45 -0400)

In nineteenth-century England, all is going well for rich, reclusive Mr Norell, who has regained some of the power of England's magicians from the past, until a rival magician, Jonathan Strange, appears and becomes Mr Norrell's pupil.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible