She Loves You, She Loves You Not... by Julie…

She Loves You, She Loves You Not...

by Julie Anne Peters

I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

Alyssa has just moved back in with her birth mother. Abandoned by her father, but still keeping in touch with her half-brother and step-mother, she tries to make do in the back of beyond. She's falling for Finn, but will she be able to hold down a job or will she just repeat the mistakes of the past.

The plotline of this novel is relatively complex, because everything is revealed slowly. Too much of a synopsis would ruin the story. So go on, just go read it. I've included mainly my criticisms in this review. Really, the story is compelling, Alyssa is convincing, what more can I say?

This novel is another breathtaking fiction by Peters that fits in perfectly with her other books. I find it amazing how Peters can get inside the head of her protagonist even as an older writer. This novel is slightly longer than the nine others I own, and I did stay up past my bed time to finish reading it!

I found much of the text to be heartrending, and it left me on the edge of my seat, desperately reading on to find out what was going to happen next. I have to say it left me feeling somewhat unsettled, because I connected with Alyssa so much.

The flashbacks are very interesting, because they are written in 2nd person (you said, she said). It distances Alyssa from her memories, and initially confused me as to what they were about. They add depth to her character though, and I got used to them as the novel progressed.

The only other part of the novel that stood out to me as not really fitting in were the circumstances surrounding Jason. I also did notice an apparent typo on one of the pages, which I didn't note down at the time, but will likely notice again on a second read.

It is a little Americanised by the geography that Alyssa encounters, and I certainly struggled with where things were. I ended up treating it as I would a fantasy novel, and just remembering things by where they were via driving/walking distance rather than their actual location. Another thing that reminded me of this was the fact that Alyssa can drive even though she is only 17. This gives her freedom that Australian teens don't have (and given the problems Alyssa has with it, it's probably a good thing!).

There is a set of discussion questions at the back - I'm curious to know whether Peters writes these herself, or they are something the publisher came up with. Nevertheless, it's worth looking at them, as it can spark some interesting ideas. I'd love it if these books were taught as fiction in highschools, but while homophobia still exists, it's an unlikely dream.

I'd recommend this book for ANY teenager, not just queer identifying ones. Everyone should be able to relate to the heartbreak and feelings of betrayal that Alyssa suffers. Queer teens will particularly enjoy the book. ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 26, 2013 |
Seventeen-year-old Alyssa knew she was gay from age 13, but her family doesn’t. When she meets and falls in love with Sarah she wants the world to know. But when her father inadvertently finds out he disowns and she cut off from everyone she loves, she is forced to move hundreds of miles away to live with Carly, a mother she barely knows.
But things have way of righting themselves and with a new town comes a new love and the chance to learn to know her mother.
Peters has written a gripping novel about coming out, finding love, and discovering your place in the world. Penned with an easy to read with a plain English writing style, this novel would suit readers over 15 years. ( )
  Bellydancer | Oct 27, 2011 |
Sarah Dessen meets GLBT. It's a sweet, wonderfully-written, coming of age novel with a lesbian main character. I'm a huge fan of Julie Anne Peters because she is able to convey so much emotion with her writing and she rarely sugarcoats things. Also, her characters are always incredibly memorable. In She Loves You, She Loves You Not, my favorite character was Arlo. He stole my heart, which is something one of her characters always manages to do when I'm reading Peter's books.

The story was a bit slow-paced, but other than that, I had no complaints. The plot, like I said, reminded me a lot of Dessen's books. Girl moves with her mom to small town, finds a job at at the local restaurant, struggles with her past and what she left behind, and finds a new crush that has a few issues of her own. But the bits and pieces were so interesting to me. For starters I has never read from the point of view of a lesbian character. That was new for me and very eye-opening. Then, I believe that very few times I've read books where a character is on a wheelchair (at the moment I only remember Inside Out and Twilight). Yay for diversity in YA. Last but not least is the mother's career choice. So, definitely a book that brings much more to the table than just a teenage romance.

Overall, I very much enjoyed the story. I cant wait to read what Peters writes next!
  YABliss | Jun 19, 2011 |
If you like contemporaries, especially those that deal with issues such as sexuality and individuality, you'll probably like this one.

Alyssa has known for a few years now that she is a lesbian. She has desperately hid the truth from her extremely homophobic dad... but word gets out, and her father does not take it well. He disowns her and she is sent to live with her mother, Carly, who she has never really known. This is Alyssa's story; mending a broken heart, learning to move on, trying to accept and love, and finding herself in the mess of a life she's been given.

This was a great read if you are looking for a very real book. The characters were all very believable, and many of them were very enjoyable. My personal favorite was Arlo, the wheel chair -bound, smart mouthed, diner owner. I also really liked Finn, Alyssa's newly acquired friend and possible love interest. I really liked how each of the characters had very distinct personalities. I also liked how Alyssa's struggles with her sexuality as well as accepting a person she hardly knows as her mother, are real problems that real teens face.

What I didn't like so much was the set of up the book... It switches from present to past continually. When it is taking place in the present, I liked it and the writing seemed to flow. But I felt it got a bit choppy switching back and forth. Some blasts from the past would be in a different font and labeled with a month, and the narration would be "You said..." "You did...". I don't know if it was supposed to be a diary, or what, but it kind of confused me. I was like, "No, I did not do that. Alyssa did." That wouldn't be too bad if all memories were like that, but they weren't. Some were just thrown into the regular writing and I started to get confused. I wasn't sure why some memories were set apart, and others weren't. It didn't seem cohesive.

Like I said, the set up of the book through me off, but I did like the overall story. Other than the sometimes choppiness, there was a good flow of events. The plot and character development progressed well and it kept my interest. If the book description intrigues you, I'd say give it a shot. ( )
  ilikethesebooks | Jun 16, 2011 |
Alyssa's father threw her out - disowning her when he found out she was gay. She goes to live with the mother who left her when she was a toddler, in a town where she is known as "Carly's girl". ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Mar 16, 2011 |

Seventeen-year-old Alyssa thought she knew who she was. She had her family and her best friends and, most important, she had Sarah. Sarah, her girlfriend, with whom she dreamed with about the day they could move far away and live out and proud and accepted for themselves, instead of having to hide their relationship.

Alyssa never thought she would have to make that move by herself, but disowned by her father and cut off from everyone she loves, she is forced to move hundreds of miles away to live with Carly, the biological mother she barely knows, in a town where everyone immediately dismisses her as "Carly's girl." As Alyssa struggles to forget her past and come to terms with her future, will she be able to build a new life for herself and believe in love again? Or will she be forced to relive the mistakes that have cost her everything and everyone she cared about?

National Book Award finalist Julie Anne Peters has written a compelling novel about coming out, finding love, and discovering your place in the world. Alyssa's story will speak to anyone who has known the joy and pain of first love and the struggle to start over again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:29 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Alyssa is disowned by her father for being a lesbian, she's sent off to a small town in Colorado to live with the mother she's never known, where she's forced to come to terms with herself and her family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible