Migrant by Maxine Trottier

Migrant (edition 2011)

by Maxine Trottier, Isabelle Arsenault (Illustrator)

Member:kedwards1991
Title:Migrant
Authors:Maxine Trottier
Other authors:Isabelle Arsenault (Illustrator)
Info:Groundwood Books (2011), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Multicultural, Picture books
Tags:Canada, migration, German, Mexico, family, change, identity, hope, moving, picture book

Migrant by Maxine Trottier

Anna and her family spend their lives migrating from place to place to work. This book was an interesting book to read. We normally get the view point of migrating to places from an adult view and I thought it was pretty cool to see it from the point of view of a child and what goes through her mind. Her thoughts are very interesting. ( )
  K_Rodriguez | Nov 26, 2014 |
This story is about a girl and her family who constantly are moving. Anna describes her family as different animals, depending on the season. Anna wonders what it would be like to have a permanent home. The author goes above and beyond to write about what it's like to be part of a family that is constantly on the move due to work. The illustrator also depicts beautiful artwork that is very appropriate for the book. ( )
  jpons | Nov 23, 2014 |
The picture book, “Migrant”, is about a little girl whose family includes seasonal laborers who travel north to harvest fruits and vegetables. The first aspect of why I enjoyed this book was the line work and specific color choice within the illustrations. It was no surprise to me that this book won the Best-Illustrated Children’s Book Award according to New York Times. The illustrator, Isabelle Arsenault, used many colors and blended them together using colored pencils. Arsenault did a fantastic job using lines and colors to portray the different scenes. The second aspect as to why I enjoyed this book was the entire plot and how she related her feelings to different living creatures. For example, Anna states that there are often times when she feels like a bird herself. “It is the birds, after all, that fly north in the spring and south every fall, chasing the sun, following the warmth”, referring to her family members who travel north for seasonal work. The main idea of this book is to display a different perspective of a migrant individual and her feelings about always having to travel but never really having a stationary home. ( )
  vharsh1 | Oct 8, 2014 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First, the writing style the author uses flows very well throughout the book. It keeps a steady, yet moving pace as well. It seems each page in the book obtains a particular rhythm, and I notice this pattern continues as I turned to the pages after it. Second, I thought the point of view the author tells this story from is great. It tells it from the little girl's point of view, as she travels to and from with her family. I think it can be a great motivational feature for kids in a classroom to hear it from a perspective of someone relatively close to them in age. Lastly, I liked this book because the illustrations were vibrant, and eye-catching. The pictures almost seemed in a way, particularly crisp and clear, and I think that is a positive aspect of this book. All in all, I would recommend this book for the reasons stated above, and would love to read more from this author!! ( )
  Skaide1 | Sep 23, 2014 |
This book is about a young girl named Anna, whose family works on a farm. Anna is confused about her identity and questions her surroundings, while also wondering what it would be like to be different animals. For instance, during the daytime, she identifies herself not as a "worker bee," but as a normal bee, and during the nighttime, she is a kitten-"a safe thing, curled there with [her] sisters by [her] side." I like how this book is from the point of view of a young migrant worker. This book illustrates to children what it may feel like to be from a family working on the farm and performing labor. The illustrations were very detailed and kept me engaged. I like how the drawings were not ordinary and included polkda dot leaves and striped trees. I would have liked this book more if it included more textual information to better create an image for the children. ( )
  mkaray1 | Sep 2, 2014 |

Maxine Trottierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arsenault, IsabelleIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Anna is the child of Mennonites from Mexico, who have come north to harvest fruit and vegetables. Sometimes she feels like a bird, flying north in the spring and south in the fall, sometimes like a jackrabbit in an abandoned burrow, since her family occupies an empty farmhouse near the fields, sometimes like a kitten, as she shares a bed with her sisters . . . But above all Anna wonders what it would be like to be a tree rooted deeply in the earth, watching the seasons come and go, instead of being like a "feather in the wind."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:27 -0400)

Anna, the daughter of migrant farm workers, feels like different animals as she follows her family as they travel looking for work.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible