Un été sans les hommes by Siri Hustvedt

Un été sans les hommes (edition 2011)

by Siri Hustvedt, Siri Hustvedt (Auteur), Christine Le Boeuf (Traduction)

531None18,892 (3.45)40
Member:anneemall
Title:Un été sans les hommes
Authors:Siri Hustvedt
Other authors:Siri Hustvedt (Auteur), Christine Le Boeuf (Traduction)
Info:Actes Sud (2011), Broché, 215 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:littérature américaine

The Summer without Men by Siri Hustvedt

A Room of One's Own and Three Guineas by Virginia Woolf (tandah)
    tandah: Reflection on one's existence in relation to others
    Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver (tandah)

English (34)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
Another excellent book by Siri Hustvedt. There were moments of reading where I was very uncomfortable - it felt like pages of my own unwritten journal were included here. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jan 4, 2014 |
This book blurs the boundaries between fiction and academia just too much for me and the endless references to psychology, philosophy etc just got to be too much and disrupted the development of the story and characterisation. This is a shame because I really enjoyed Hustvedt's 'What I Loved'. ( )
  sianpr | Dec 1, 2013 |
Polymathic chicklit with a PhD: something I'd been hoping to find for ten years. Some time ago I had concluded it just didn't get published as there wasn't enough of an audience.

I'd never read Siri Hustvedt before, assuming that her books were yet more run-of-the-mill English-language literary fiction. (The rest of her work does still sound that way to me, TBH.) But a few weeks ago I idly clicked on Amazon reviews for this book, and among the more negative ones, it was criticised by chicklit readers for being too pretentious, and by literary readers for being too superficial. And also, how was it a Summer Without Men if she quoted male writers and philosophers all the time?

This tale of Mia, an academic and poet on a break from her marriage sounded very promising.

We have such chicklit cliches such as a younger, French Other Woman; going back to a former home-town after a relationship breakup; one-sided ranting about the failings of the errant man; a group of schoolgirls who remind the protagonist of her younger days; a book group of elderly ladies reading Jane Austen; characters who - whilst not noted for their wealth - never worry about money.

Alongside such things, standard chicklit often has bright characters who are denoted by brief references to their study or work and the use of a couple of longer words in conversation - but if you'd like to know more about that side of them, you're inevitably disappointed.
Not here. Reflections on the ideas of philosophers and poets (and not just the best-known ones) form substantial parts of Mia's thoughts; we have a page-long ponder of affective neuroscience; an obscure set of Goya prints form an apt backdrop to a scene involving bitchy preteens; punning references to the linguistic turn; and the ridiculously hip occurrence of some subversive vintage embroidery... I could go on. I like it when a book gives me a few things I don't know, to look up, but not so many that this interrupts the flow of the story, and this was perfect on that count.

Mia feels very deeply and thinks & knows very deeply too. If she were a real person I would want to be friends with her.

I only had two disappointments with this book.
One: it doesn't have chapters.

Two: the lack of references to psychology other than Freud, and that Mia didn't seek to tie up some of the neuroscience musings with her own experiences of a brief breakdown and recovery, or the past aspects of her relationship. Some attachment theory, for instance, would have worked perfectly. I recall a couple of other reviewers saying there was too much self-analysis in this book; I would have liked more, if the narrator accompanied it with reference and theory, as she does so well in some other subject areas.

I loved this book, but I hesitate to give it five stars - at least on here - to stand in my list alongside the likes of Kavalier and Clay and Middlemarch; yet its moments of glaring cliche, alongside its erudition, are what made it work so very well for me as comfort reading.

Read 13-21 Jan 2012. ( )
1 vote antonomasia | Apr 4, 2013 |
I thought the level of observation in this piece of writing was wonderful in so many ways, however it fails as a novel in my view. I was really struggling not to skip huge swathes of the second half. It also took me from July until September to plow through, with detours for other novels - always a bad sign.

Still, I will look forward to her next one because, after all, she is Siri. ( )
  Melanielgarrett | Apr 2, 2013 |
The story was a bit cliched, but not too bad. I didn't have any expectations going into this and since it was a quick read, my reaction's rather mild. I didn't hate or like it with a passion. ( )
  Samchan | Mar 31, 2013 |
Here, although the subject matter is serious - a woman's search for her lost identity - the tempo is upbeat. In a narrative without chapter breaks, Hustvedt explores the idea that differences between the genders is less important than "how much difference the difference makes".

Hustvedt creates a voice for Mia that is witty, concise, demanding; delighted by the concordances of sounds in words, compassionate and aware of its own faults. Hustvedt shows us Mia as she stumbles through the female relationships around her, all painted in with a wry eye.

Velment, men ikke helt vellykket
Siri Hustvedt er med sitt navn og sine aner liksom litt norsk, selv om hun er oppvokst i Minnesota og nå bor i Brooklyn. Hun skriver sine bøker på engelsk, og de oversettes til mange språk, deriblant norsk. Hennes siste roman er velment, men ikke udelt vellykket.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Anne Cathrine Straume (Mar 22, 2011)

Spenstig om kvinneliv
Siri Hustvedts nye roman «Sommeren uten menn» har en overraskende letthet kombinert med en intellektuell spenst og vitalitet som synes å ha blitt forfatterens varemerke.
Siri Hustvedt byr på mye humor og mye klok menneskelig innsikt i denne nye og tynne lille romanen på drøye 200 sider. Med utgangspunkt i en utroskapshistorie av den svært konvensjonelle og slitesterke typen: Middelaldrende ektemann vil ha en pause fra sitt 30-årige fellesliv med sin kone Mia for å dyrke sin nye franske og unge lidenskap, stiger det fram en fortelling om kvinneliv i flere generasjoner. Det hele fortalt med omtanke og omsorg, med brutalt klarsyn og med høyt refleksjonsnivå
added by annek49 | editDagsavisen, Turid Larsen (Mar 16, 2011)

Er det mulig å tilgi en utro ektemann?
Siri Hustvedt har skrevet en sjeldent god bok ANMELDELSE: Når jeg leser en bok, setter jeg alltid eselører ved de sidene der jeg finner noe virkelig godt. I «Sommeren uten menn» kunne jeg gjerne hatt flere på hver eneste side. For dette er en sjeldent god bok
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Mar 14, 2011)

LUCY (Irene Dunne): You're all confused, aren't you?
JERRY (Cary Grant): Uh-huh. Aren't you?
LUCY: No.
JERRY: Well, you should be, because you're wrong about things being different because they're not the same. Things are different, except in a different way. You're still the same, only I've been a fool. Well, I'm not now. So, as long as I'm different, don't you think things could be the same again? Only a little different.

- "The Awful Truth"
directed by Leo McCarey
screenplay by Viña Delmar
For Frances Cohen
Sometime after he said the word "pause", I went mad and landed in the hospital.

Mia is forced to reexamine her life when her husband puts their marriage on "pause" after thirty years. She returns to the prairie town of her childhood, and is drawn into the lives of those around her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible