Hollowland by Amanda Hocking
364None29,656 (3.95)20
apocalypse (2) book (2) dystopia (3) dystopian (2) ebook (21) fantasy (6) fiction (8) free (3) freebie (2) horror (9) Kindle (20) lions (2) nook (3) on-kindle (3) own (4) paranormal (6) post-apocalyptic (9) read (5) read in 2012 (3) romance (3) science fiction (6) series (2) teen (5) The Hollows (2) to-read (56) urban fantasy (3) wishlist (3) YA (9) young adult (12) zombies (29)

This is the first book (679 pages on the Nook) in Amanda Hocking’s dystopian Hollows series. This was obviously part of my zombie kick and was actually the book that started my zombie obsession. Hocking’s character development is believable for an apocalyptic world. It doesn’t have constant action, which actually made the story more believable. There is plenty of zombie action and death though, for those of you looking for a zombie death/destruction book.

The writing was very good and the cliff hanger ending left me on the edge of my seat and dying (not literally) to read the second book. I would highly recommend this book, especially to those you that are fans of the zombie genre.

For more reviews, check out reviewsinapinch.wordpress.com today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Mar 21, 2014 |
I love this book, once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
The beginning is a little slow, but once it picks up, you seriously can't put it down. Lots of fun zombie fighting action! And I loved the lion--very unique! ( )
  AddisonLane | Oct 26, 2013 |
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Over a year ago, I read Hocking’s Switched, which I enjoyed, but Hollowland was a step beyond on the enjoyment level. Hocking’s Hollowland was simply a great novel for its zombies, characters, and the world built inside it’s pages.

One thing I really liked about this book was that the author didn’t spare the reader from any of the gore or unpleasantness that occurs in a world where zombies and the destruction of civilization as we know it is the “norm.” In the scenes where zombies are attacking the main characters, there’s much description of how much blood, limbs, etc are flying around and breaking, and dying. Hocking makes sure the reader knows just what it’s like to encounter these creatures, like any good zombie book should. Some of the description of how the zombies’ bodies hold up to attacks are slightly repetitive, but it also drives the point across that these once human bodies have changed drastically because of the virus.

Remy, the narrator and main character, is one of the better characters I’ve read this year. She’s strong, determined, and rarely shows a sign of weakness, even if a love interest in introduced. She’s living in a world where survival is top priority and she doesn’t let anything get in her way of that. I found this to be a great part of the book. All of the characters were really well-written, actually. They were all developed over the course of the book and even a few that I didn’t like in the beginning, grew on me. Oh and Ripley, I want that to be a surprise, but she might be my favorite character in the book.

Upon finishing this book, I knew I’d want book 2. It’s not a common occurrence for me, either. It ended nicely and was set up for what I’m sure will be an exciting continuation. I can only hope that there’s more excitement, blood and gore, and danger in my reading future. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |
Serviceable but journeyman writing, the frenetic pace of many zombie stories, under-thought plot points and an obvious setup for a sequel... These are the hallmarks of Hollowland. It's a gory tale as well, and a lot of the action seems, well, unbelievable. How many teenagers do you know who could stomp or punch through a skull? Even a zombie skull, weakened by decay, or whatever. It's comic book violence, unconnected to reality - which is only fair, as the book is escapist in every sense, except that of being somewhere you'd want to go.

The plot is also struggling... Much of it just doesn't make sense, and a lot of characters are killed, well, as an expediency, it seems. The cult leader parallel to David Koresh was so thinly disguised that the author didn't even change the name all that much. And a LION? Really?

My review is fragmented, much like this book. The best thing that I can say was that it was free on amazon, and I didn't spend a lot of time reading it. There are worse things than candy floss in book form, after all. But if you want high art, or even middling art, look elsewhere. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |

Hollowland - the first book in the young adult dystopian series The Hollows..

"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

This is a young adult title with some language, violence, and mild sexual situations recommended for ages sixteen and up.

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland of America, and nothing will stand in her way -- not violent marauders, a spoiled rockstar, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

77 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible