Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

Had I known that this book was about a zombie apocalypse I'd have been all over it a LONG time ago. How could I not know that?! I thought it was the usual YA fare and admit that the cover had a lot to do with that. That's a lovely cover and not a hint of zombie about it. It seems it's true what they say about covers, and judging... I'm not sure how long I've had this one but it seems like an age. I wish I'd gotten to it sooner.

It's a very satisfying story and right from the very first line the reader is hauled slap-bang into the thick of it. These zombies are not the slow, lumbering moaners from the usual zom-fests, these zombies are jacked up crazies and can pick up a bit of speed. All the action scenes are pretty frantic.

I felt I really connected with Remy, the main character and liked her a lot. Some of the other character's didn't impress me as much (ie, Blue - although it's a cute name) but I still liked them. Really liked Ripley too, if you can call a lion a character? Yeah, a lion! A very cool lion, actually.

There's a tiny bit of romance and sexual chemistry but I do mean 'tiny'. That's not the main focus of the story though so it makes a nice change from the usual YA boy/girl storylines.

There are some creepy character's in here too and I thought they were dealt with really well. Not TOO creepy for the YA market but 'just' creepy enough to make this adult shudder.

I loved the dialogue, it always felt so natural and suited each character perfectly. Amanda Hocking does character interaction very well, I thought.

I can't believe no publisher wanted this one! It's great. Judging by the money she's making from self publishing I'd say I'm not the only one that thinks that way. In the words of Kevin Costner..."Build it and they will come".

Now for the good news..If you're in the UK you can download this for your kindle for FREE! Amanda is offering a kindle copy of Hollowland for nada, zilch and gratis and I'd advise you to run like the wind to go get it...it's really good!

Book 2 in the trilogy, 'Hollowmen' is already out and I'll definitely be reading it to see what lies in store for Remy! ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Hollowland just wasn't my cup of tea. It wasn't bad in any way, it just wasn't for me. I would recommend others try it as you never know what you may like. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
This was a great book. It was a fun, fast-paced thriller with lots of gore, a love story, and a lion. I loved the lion; she added a layer of stress to my reading experience. I just downloaded Hallowmen. Can't wait to start it! ( )
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |

I've made an important decision:

I have better things to do than to read STUPID books.

It started with a bang, but pretty quickly I realized that things were heading into the ridiculous. It's like the author brainstormed plot ideas and every trite cliché in her subconscious fell onto the page. Seriously. My eyeballs are sore from the rolling.

- MC finds, rescues, & befriends a lioness. A fucking tame lioness. A fucking tame lioness that comes when called by a name just given to her by the MC. **Eye roll.

- A cult. A fucking cult whose leader is named Korech. A fucking cult whose leader is named Korech, which is pronounced "Koresh". AYFKM? **Eye roll.

- A tiger streak. A fucking streak of tame Vegas tigers. A fucking streak of tame Vegas tigers procured by the aforementioned clichéd cult leader named Korech (pronounced "Koresh" -_-) from the remains of Vegas magic shows..

Never mind how stupid all of that sounds. Let's talk tigers. Tigers are solitary animals. Very rarely will anyone encounter a streak. If they were in an enclosure, this could be plausible, but no. These tigers were just walking around the yard willy-nilly. Also, even though Korech scavenged them, he controls them with hand movements. Am I to believe he has devoted his life equally between cult leading and tiger training? **Eye roll.

Wait. Speaking of the cult, why the fuck did our band of misfit MC's stop there? Remy's reasoning was that she'd take any help she could get to find her brother Max, but then she gets there and all they do is clean, cook, and eat. How did she think she'd get help in finding him from some dude with a yard full of fucking tigers? She claims Korech looks sinister the minute they get there and she sees all the frikkin tigers, so she decides that it's a good place to get help in looking for her bro who could be anywhere in the country, mind you. Good lawd, even typing that out hurts my brain.

- A band of marauders. A fucking band of marauders who emulate the Manson clan. Wait. A fucking band of marauders who emulate the Manson clan - bloody "helter skelters" and all - and whose "snipers" can't shoot for shit and were taken out by our band of misfit MC's. The MC even states that she is reminded vaguely of the Manson clan. I said, AYFKM??? **Eye roll.

I quit there. I read spoilers for the rest of the book and it only got worse. So glad I got out when I did.

This book is a hodgepodge of outlandish and laughable situations with a few zombies sparsely tossed in. Don't get me started on the boring MC and her emotional detachment or her stupid and boring companions or her insta-love-ish Village Idiot "love interest". Did I mention he's a rockstar? -_-

Blah.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Anytime someone Remy came to love died, i cried.
Amazing book. worth the read.
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |

Hollowland - the first book in the young adult dystopian series The Hollows..

"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

This is a young adult title with some language, violence, and mild sexual situations recommended for ages sixteen and up.

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland of America, and nothing will stand in her way -- not violent marauders, a spoiled rockstar, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible