Hollowland by Amanda Hocking
2011 (3) apocalypse (2) dystopia (3) dystopian (3) ebook (22) fantasy (6) fiction (8) free (3) freebie (2) horror (8) Kindle (20) lions (2) nook (3) novel (2) on-kindle (3) own (5) paranormal (6) post-apocalyptic (10) read (5) read in 2012 (3) romance (3) science fiction (5) series (2) teen (5) to-read (63) urban fantasy (3) wishlist (3) YA (9) young adult (14) zombies (29)

Anytime someone Remy came to love died, i cried.
Amazing book. worth the read.
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |
I received Hollowland as a free book on the Kindle, and to be honest, as a zombie novel I wasn't expecting much. However, I found myself drawn to Remy as a character, and to the time-tested tale of her looking for her brother, who survived the zombie invasion when they were in quarantine. Now, the reasons behind him leaving were obviously veiled in the beginning, and the reader is obviously aware of it. Come on now, who takes a sick 8 year old boy instead of healthy people?

As the story goes on, though, you begin to be invested in the characters involved. Lazlo, Blue, Harlow, even the craziness that is Koerech and the refugees, all of these become faces, real people in your mind's eye. In zombie novels, too often people are put forward as attractive, would-be heroes and then they are taken all too soon, usually in a gory manner.

Hocking does a good job of keeping it feeling like a zombie novel, while still keeping true to the character's story. I felt like this book was more like the Walking Dead than, say, Dawn of the Dead.

I read this book through to the end, and I couldn't stop! I hope that the second book lives up to the delivery the first book offered. ( )
  AllCrazyHere | May 7, 2014 |
This is the first book (679 pages on the Nook) in Amanda Hocking’s dystopian Hollows series. This was obviously part of my zombie kick and was actually the book that started my zombie obsession. Hocking’s character development is believable for an apocalyptic world. It doesn’t have constant action, which actually made the story more believable. There is plenty of zombie action and death though, for those of you looking for a zombie death/destruction book.

The writing was very good and the cliff hanger ending left me on the edge of my seat and dying (not literally) to read the second book. I would highly recommend this book, especially to those you that are fans of the zombie genre.

For more reviews, check out reviewsinapinch.wordpress.com today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Mar 21, 2014 |
I love this book, once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
The beginning is a little slow, but once it picks up, you seriously can't put it down. Lots of fun zombie fighting action! And I loved the lion--very unique! ( )
  AddisonLane | Oct 26, 2013 |

Hollowland - the first book in the young adult dystopian series The Hollows..

"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

This is a young adult title with some language, violence, and mild sexual situations recommended for ages sixteen and up.

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland of America, and nothing will stand in her way -- not violent marauders, a spoiled rockstar, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

77 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,463,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible