Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

I've made an important decision:

I have better things to do than to read STUPID books.

It started with a bang, but pretty quickly I realized that things were heading into the ridiculous. It's like the author brainstormed plot ideas and every trite cliché in her subconscious fell onto the page. Seriously. My eyeballs are sore from the rolling.

- MC finds, rescues, & befriends a lioness. A fucking tame lioness. A fucking tame lioness that comes when called by a name just given to her by the MC. **Eye roll.

- A cult. A fucking cult whose leader is named Korech. A fucking cult whose leader is named Korech, which is pronounced "Koresh". AYFKM? **Eye roll.

- A tiger streak. A fucking streak of tame Vegas tigers. A fucking streak of tame Vegas tigers procured by the aforementioned clichéd cult leader named Korech (pronounced "Koresh" -_-) from the remains of Vegas magic shows..

Never mind how stupid all of that sounds. Let's talk tigers. Tigers are solitary animals. Very rarely will anyone encounter a streak. If they were in an enclosure, this could be plausible, but no. These tigers were just walking around the yard willy-nilly. Also, even though Korech scavenged them, he controls them with hand movements. Am I to believe he has devoted his life equally between cult leading and tiger training? **Eye roll.

Wait. Speaking of the cult, why the fuck did our band of misfit MC's stop there? Remy's reasoning was that she'd take any help she could get to find her brother Max, but then she gets there and all they do is clean, cook, and eat. How did she think she'd get help in finding him from some dude with a yard full of fucking tigers? She claims Korech looks sinister the minute they get there and she sees all the frikkin tigers, so she decides that it's a good place to get help in looking for her bro who could be anywhere in the country, mind you. Good lawd, even typing that out hurts my brain.

- A band of marauders. A fucking band of marauders who emulate the Manson clan. Wait. A fucking band of marauders who emulate the Manson clan - bloody "helter skelters" and all - and whose "snipers" can't shoot for shit and were taken out by our band of misfit MC's. The MC even states that she is reminded vaguely of the Manson clan. I said, AYFKM??? **Eye roll.

I quit there. I read spoilers for the rest of the book and it only got worse. So glad I got out when I did.

This book is a hodgepodge of outlandish and laughable situations with a few zombies sparsely tossed in. Don't get me started on the boring MC and her emotional detachment or her stupid and boring companions or her insta-love-ish Village Idiot "love interest". Did I mention he's a rockstar? -_-

Blah.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Anytime someone Remy came to love died, i cried.
Amazing book. worth the read.
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |
I received Hollowland as a free book on the Kindle, and to be honest, as a zombie novel I wasn't expecting much. However, I found myself drawn to Remy as a character, and to the time-tested tale of her looking for her brother, who survived the zombie invasion when they were in quarantine. Now, the reasons behind him leaving were obviously veiled in the beginning, and the reader is obviously aware of it. Come on now, who takes a sick 8 year old boy instead of healthy people?

As the story goes on, though, you begin to be invested in the characters involved. Lazlo, Blue, Harlow, even the craziness that is Koerech and the refugees, all of these become faces, real people in your mind's eye. In zombie novels, too often people are put forward as attractive, would-be heroes and then they are taken all too soon, usually in a gory manner.

Hocking does a good job of keeping it feeling like a zombie novel, while still keeping true to the character's story. I felt like this book was more like the Walking Dead than, say, Dawn of the Dead.

I read this book through to the end, and I couldn't stop! I hope that the second book lives up to the delivery the first book offered. ( )
  AllCrazyHere | May 7, 2014 |
This is the first book (679 pages on the Nook) in Amanda Hocking’s dystopian Hollows series. This was obviously part of my zombie kick and was actually the book that started my zombie obsession. Hocking’s character development is believable for an apocalyptic world. It doesn’t have constant action, which actually made the story more believable. There is plenty of zombie action and death though, for those of you looking for a zombie death/destruction book.

The writing was very good and the cliff hanger ending left me on the edge of my seat and dying (not literally) to read the second book. I would highly recommend this book, especially to those you that are fans of the zombie genre.

For more reviews, check out reviewsinapinch.wordpress.com today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Mar 21, 2014 |
I love this book, once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |

Hollowland - the first book in the young adult dystopian series The Hollows..

"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

This is a young adult title with some language, violence, and mild sexual situations recommended for ages sixteen and up.

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland of America, and nothing will stand in her way -- not violent marauders, a spoiled rockstar, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

77 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible