The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb: A Novel…

The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Melanie Benjamin

Member:julko
Title:The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb: A Novel
Authors:Melanie Benjamin
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012 (inactive)
Tags:2012/11, fiction, historical fiction, little people, circus, book club, sent to mom

The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb: A Novel by Melanie Benjamin (2011)

Recently added bymirikayla, jybquilter, CydMelcher, crazeedi73, private library
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both well-written stories about the performing life. Very different sides of it, and in very different time periods, but both well-written and exciting.
    Belle Cora by Phillip Margulies (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow (watertiger)

A bit slow moving at times but overall a good story. Takes place in the late 1800 and early 1900's when railroad travel traveling circuses were emerging. It tells the life story of a "miniature" woman who worked for PT Barnum. There was a little bit of everything such as history, love story, family drama, etc. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Lavinia Warren was only 32 inches high, but had ambitions that were not limited by her diminutive size. She was a real person, more popularly known as Mrs General Tom Thumb – the wife of P T Barnum’s famous “oddity.” In the midst of Civil War, their wedding was front-page news. They were received by Queen Victoria, Abraham Lincoln, and heads of state around the world. They were befriended by the Astors, Vanderbilts and other high society families. They were the Brad and Angelina of their day, mobbed by crowds wherever they went, written about by reporters, the subjects of gossip and rumor, and victims of their own fame. All of this is true, but this book is a work of fiction.

Benjamin does a wonderful job of bringing Vinnie to life. The novel depicts a woman of great intelligence and drive. She is shown to be cunning, witty, talented and strong-willed. She is also vulnerable, frightened, angry, and cold, suppressing her feelings to protect herself as best she can. Her partnership with Barnum is wonderfully imagined and beautifully told. Benjamin gives us a woman who is defined by her character, not her height. All this is presented against a backdrop of historical events – Civil War, the opening of the West, and life in the Gilded Age.

I really liked this book. I was completely mesmerized by Vinnie’s story, and that of the other members of her troupe. I grew up in San Antonio Texas, the home of the Hertzberg Circus Collection. When I was a child I spent many a Saturday visiting the collection, which was housed in the main Public Library downtown. It is the oldest and largest public collection of circus memorabilia in America. There is a significant amount of Tom Thumb memorabilia; one of the artifacts is the coach custom-made for General Tom Thumb. Unfortunately, by 2001 the building had deteriorated so much that the collection was at risk. It was moved to storage and is now conserved by the Witte Museum. It is not currently on display, though the many volumes of books and records are available to scholars for research (by appointment only).
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I must commend the author on her characterizations in this novel. Minnie herself shines, with all her imperfections and strong will. I liked how the author didn’t give into the temptation to gloss over the vices and highlight only the virtues. Minnie’s stubbornness and her continuous existence in the cerebral in detriment to her emotions are as highlighted as her confidence and strong will. For all that she’s as short as she is, her spirit stands tall against the rest of the world. I was spellbound by her thirst for all that world and her relationships with it.

I was also intrigued by the author’s secondary characters and her other main ones. Barnum and Charles are very realistic, being shaped by the show business world they inhabit. I truly felt for both gents, Charles with his eternal young optimism and Barnum with his vitality for life. Even the tertiary characters like Sylvia and Carlotta breathe with life for the reader.

Oh this world and what a story! Exploring the world of showboats on the Mississippi, the Victorian obsession with sideshows and things that are different, and getting an inner glimpse into that shadowy world are all real treats. I’ve never read a work in this world and found this a perfect introduction. The author definitely took the time to make sure her details and research were spot on so that her readers are transported to a world like no other.

With characters that jump off the page and a well-developed setting, this introduction to Melanie Benjamin was perfect. I kept turning the pages quickly so I could learn the next development in Minnie’s life. I’m glad someone told this story as it’s one the world really shouldn’t forget. Highly recommended for lovers of historical fiction!! ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
An interesting fictional account of the real-life "proportional midget," Lavinia Warren, who at her full adult height was only 32 inches tall. She married General Tom Thumb (35 inches tall) and the two of them worked for P. T. Barnum at his New York museum in the 1860's. Some of the events in the novel seemed so unreal that I had a hard time believing that they really happened. A little internet research supported the truth of most of the events. The couple gained international popularity, literally traveling around the world and giving shows to royalty and commoners alike, including a honeymoon visit to the White House as guests of Abraham Lincoln. Interesting personalities in the novel are not only Lavinia and Tom Thumb, but also P. T. Barnum. His relationship with Lavinia is a major focus of the novel. How much of that is real? I don’t know. Nonetheless, it was a good read. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |

Melanie Benjaminprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dennis, without whom
I suppose it would be fashionable to admit to some reservations as I undertake to write the History of My Life.

In her national bestseller Alice I Have Been, Melanie Benjamin imagined the life of the woman who inspired Alice in Wonderland. Now, in this jubilant new novel, Benjamin shines a dazzling spotlight on another fascinating female figure whose story has never fully been told: a woman who became a nineteenth century icon and inspiration—and whose most daunting limitation became her greatest strength.

“Never would I allow my size to define me. Instead, I would define it.”

She was only two-foot eight-inches tall, but her legend reaches out to us more than a century later. As a child, Mercy Lavinia “Vinnie” Bump was encouraged to live a life hidden away from the public. Instead, she reached out to the immortal impresario P. T. Barnum, married the tiny superstar General Tom Thumb in the wedding of the century, and transformed into the world’s most unexpected celebrity.

Here, in Vinnie’s singular and spirited voice, is her amazing adventure—from a showboat “freak” revue where she endured jeering mobs to her fateful meeting with the two men who would change her life: P. T. Barnum and Charles Stratton, AKA Tom Thumb. Their wedding would captivate the nation, preempt coverage of the Civil War, and usher them into the White House and the company of presidents and queens. But Vinnie’s fame would also endanger the person she prized most: her similarly-sized sister, Minnie, a gentle soul unable to escape the glare of Vinnie’s spotlight.

A barnstorming novel of the Gilded Age, and of a woman’s public triumphs and personal tragedies, The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb is the irresistible epic of a heroine who conquered the country with a heart as big as her dreams—and whose story will surely win over yours.
Was she too little?
Was the world itself too small /
to contain her dreams? (LynnB)

Mid-nineteenth-century little person Mercy Levinia Warren Bump comes of age in the antebellum south before being invited to join the P. T. Barnum circus, through which she meets her future husband, General Tom Thumb, and pursues limitless international opportunities.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible