Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux

Allison Hewitt Is Trapped (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Madeleine Roux

184None64,113 (3.96)10
Member:SpongeBobFishpants
Title:Allison Hewitt Is Trapped
Authors:Madeleine Roux
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Science Fiction/Horror, Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian
Tags:Permanent Collection, Science Fiction, Read 05/2011

Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (2011)

Feed by Mira Grant (justrumbelledearie)
    justrumbelledearie: Another fierce female blogging the apocalypse.
    The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both unconventional zombie stories with plucky heroines.

English (27)  French (1)  All languages (28)
There's tension and horror and gore and jumpy moments. The monsters are not just the zombies, in fact they, while dangerous and scary, are what they are. It is the other humans that induce the greater fear. This story is told via Allison's Blog which she uses to document what is happening and communicate sporadically with other survivors. This format makes it feel current and urgent. I often hesitated at turning the page - I HAD to know what would happen but also had that feeling of "don't-go-down-into-the-basement!" Plus she's trapped in the back of a bookstore but can't get to the books. That's horror right there!

(any fan of the Walking Dead TV series will probably like this series. It reads very much like the show version) ( )
  Absent_Librarian | Apr 9, 2014 |
I loved this story! It was told in the form of a blog, not to mention written by a college student who is just a regular Jane. Good flow, easy read.
Recommended! ( )
  LoriHopkins | Apr 3, 2014 |
Listened/Read for Fun (Audible/Paper Copy)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.50

Audio Rating: 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Allison Hewitt is Trapped was a fun listen that finally made it off my TBR stack!

Overall Thoughts: This book has been on my TBR for quite awhile so I broke down and bought the audio version so that I could get to it. It was so fun! I thought Madeleine did a fantastic job at building the world and making it something that I could actually see happening. Allison was a great leading character that made root for her all the way. The thing I loved the most is that these characters were real. There was no big burly superheroes that busted in and saved the day. There were real people fighting to stay alive. There were lives lost, loves started, hardships dealt with, and quests to find loved ones. It was just a great read!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Piper Goodeve / Length: 11 hrs and 8 mins

Piper did a good job with the voice for Allison but I thought the pacing was a little off in the beginning. Whether that was the story or the narration, it was something that I noticed. I haven't listened to Piper before but I would listen to her again.

Final Thought: Yeah for knocking one off the TBR Shelf and it being worth the money spent! ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 19, 2014 |
Search for zombie novels on Amazon.com and you’ll get tons of responses. Properly published, self published; erotic fiction and young adult fiction. It spans pretty much every target market with everyone trying to cash in on the hype. And let’s be real. There are some pretty awful zombie books out there.

Luckily, however, there are plenty of good ones, too. And Allison Hewitt is Trapped is one of them. Sure, the name doesn’t sound very creative. (And the next book in the series is called Sadie Walker is Stranded. But I took a chance.

And I’m glad I did.

I must preface, though, before I begin, that I did not actually read this book. Instead, I listened to it in the car on a cross country trip from Arizona to New York with no company but my douche bag cat. So my review reflects that experience. An experience that I do recommend, by the way. Not driving across country with a cat but listening to the book.

The book is written as a blog being kept by Allison Hewitt, the titular character. She works at a local bookstore while she’s attending school as a graduate student. When zombies attack their store out of the blue Allison and her co-workers barricade themselves in the break room where they survive off of vending machine food and try not to kill each other or go crazy. Or both. It’s during this period that Allison – who happened to have stashed her laptop in the staff locker room – discovers S-NET. It’s a special, ‘worst case scenario’ internet connection established by someone – the government? – that runs even after the end of the world.

With this internet connection, Allison begins to document her life now that the zombies have htaken over the world. She’s not the only one, though. Various people other people comment on the blog and they take some amount of hope from her continued survival as they struggle with their own. Allison is able to pass on little tidbits of information – some of it even lifesaving. Through these additional voices we get a hint at a wider network of survivors somewhere out here trying to get by.

But story is Allison’s and as the book continues she and her fellow survivors find themselves seeking a more permanent shelter. First in the apartments above their shop and then later, after tragedy strikes, somewhere better. A stranger over the radio offers hope for something more – survival, a community. Meanwhile her mother leaves her a note of some almost mythical community out-of-state where there truly is safety in numbers.

We follow her and a cast of various characters as they make their way in this strange world. It’s not always a happy story. People come and go – sometimes suddenly. Humanity and people have changed. There are no limits to what humanity will do – even Allison herself. She’s not perfect. She doesn’t react as some shining example of humanity might all the time. And that’s important. Allison is meant to be everyone – all of us. She’s meant to be a figurehead sort of representation of the average person and their experience in a world gone mad. Where people – including yourself – can be far more dangerous

And all the while, Allison is doing her best to bring her story not just to you as the reader but to what remains of humanity as we know it.

It’s a solid journey with a solid supporting cast. You’ll laugh. You might cry. You’ll genuinely care about some of the people – even the other commenters on the blog. You’ll wonder what happened to them long after they are gone. (And you’ll become quite the fan of fire axes.)

Listening to this book just makes those emotional ties even stronger. The audiobook is fully cast. Though the blog is written by Allison alone each comment is read by another cast member and those sparse lines become real people.

I recommend the book – in either format – very highly. ( )
  samaside | Sep 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let me start by saying that I enjoyed this book. I'll follow that with I just can't tell you why. I'm a blogger and the "blogging" format of the book seemed like it just didn't work. (And from a technical aspect, sometimes the comments on the blog posts were out of order.) I'm a zombie fan, and though I didn't expect the book to be hard core zombies, it seemed graphic enough. I'm a former bookseller so I wanted more of the book to take place in the book store, but they got out of there way too quickly for what I expected. I somewhat expected chick-lit does zombies, (I'm male,) but I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying this is chick-lit. Overall I'm a ball of mixed emotions over this book, but ultimately, I did both finish and enjoy this book. I just don't know why.
  travelinlibrarian | Oct 7, 2012 |
"I've never laughed so much while being so creeped out...Roux did the impossible: she made zombies funny."
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon, New York Times bestselling author MaryJanice Davidson

“Madeline Roux doesn't just offer an engaging and addictive adventure story, though she's certainly done that; she manages to answer the eternal question all of us must ask ourselves eventually: "When the zombie apocalypse comes (and it will come), how will I handle it?" For my part, I hope I manage it with as much humanity and determination as Allison. But I would like to make a request for bigger weapons.”
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon, New York Times bestselling author of The Others series Christine Warren

“Finally, a zombie apocalypse done right. ALLISON HEWITT IS TRAPPED is a smart and furious thrill-ride, touched with just the right mix of humor and romance. Madeleine Roux's stunning characters and breathless action are unforgettable.”
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, New York Times bestselling author of Magic Bleeds Ilona Andrews

Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

One woman's story as she blogs about — and fights back against — the zombie apocalypse.

Allison Hewitt and her five colleagues at the Brooks and Peabody bookstore are trapped together when the zombie outbreak hits. Allison reaches out for help through her blog, writing on her laptop and utilizing the military's emergency wireless network (SNET). It may also be her only chance to reach her mother. But as the reality of their situation sinks in, Allison's blog becomes a harrowing account of her edge-of-the-seat adventures (with some witty sarcasm thrown in) as she and her companions fight their way through ravenous zombies and sometimes even more dangerous humans.

One woman's story as she blogs - and fights back - the zombie apocalypse

Allison Hewitt and her five colleagues at the Brooks and Peabody Bookstore are trapped together when the zombie outbreak hits. Allison reaches out for help through her blog, writing on her laptop and utilizing the military's emergency wireless network (SNET).  It may also be her only chance to reach her mother. But as the reality of their situation sinks in, Allison’s blog becomes a harrowing account of her edge-of-the-seat adventures (with some witty sarcasm thrown in) as she and her companions fight their way through ravenous zombies and sometimes even more dangerous humans.

“Madeline Roux manages to answer the eternal question all of us must ask ourselves eventually: "When the zombie apocalypse comes (and it will come), how will I handle it?" For my part, I hope I manage it with as much humanity and determination as Allison. But I would like to make a request for bigger weapons.”

--Christine Warren, New York Times bestselling author of The Others series

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:39 -0400)

Allison Hewitt and five colleagues are trapped together at their bookstore when the zombie outbreak hits, and she records events on her blog.

55 wanted4 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible