Woefield Poultry Collective by Susan Juby

Woefield Poultry Collective (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Susan Juby

Member:Speedicut
Title:Woefield Poultry Collective
Authors:Susan Juby
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2011), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:humor, British Columbia, R, 2012

Woefield Poultry Collective by Susan Juby (2011)

Accd to a review, the sequel looks even cuter.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Cute story told from the POV's of 4 quirky charcters. A 20 something New Yorker inherits a run down farm in Canada from an uncle she has never met. She decides to relocate and change the direction of her life. Farm comes complete with useless land, a grumpy tenant, depressed half-sheared sheep and soon acquires a neighbor that is a 30- something yr old cyberblogging alcoholic shut-in and a very serious 11 yr old girl with a passion for chickens. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
The author wrote this book as a tribute to "Cold Comfort Farm" written in1932. I also really enjoyed "Cold Comfort Farm".
However, something new has been added- vulgarity!
Prudence Burns from New York, inherited this farm from her uncle, but it was in debt. She cheerfully sets about to turn things around, using those at hand- Earl- a 70 plus banjo-playing foreman, Seth- an alcoholic teenager from across the street, Sarah-an 11-year girl looking for a home for herself and her chickens.
I loved Prudences' determination and positive attitude.
The story is told in short chapters, alternating the narrator. That is well-done. And there is lots of humour in the book. However, the gross language took away from my enjoyment. ( )
  bettyroche | Mar 16, 2014 |
I read Home to Woefield because I enjoyed the author's Alice series and I enjoyed this too. It makes me think of a current Canadian version of Cold Comfort Farm - brisk efficient naive urbanite moves to the failing family farm and turns it around. It's almost, but not quite, too sugary and optimistic to take. Written from the perspectives of the four main characters. Mildly humorous, pokes gentle fun at Prudence's passion for sustainable farming and refusal to be discouraged by harsh reality. Seth's alcohol abuse and Earl and Sara's family troubles are treated gently and Woefield's residents's problems are all solved by the end of the book. A couple of asides - I find the alternate title, The Woefield Poultry Collective, too twee for words, and Cedar, Vancouver Island is a real place - I was reading this book on the ferry from Duke Point which is very close by. ( )
  mandyo | Aug 29, 2013 |

Susan Juby's first adult novel makes you want more....
It's tough not to call The Woefield Poultry Collective "heartwarming. " It's that rare book that makes you feel good after reading it, without it ever being "good for you." So, yes -it's heartwarming. And yes, it's quirky. And, to be honest, I never could resist a book with a chicken on the cover. My only complaint might be that I wanted to hang out with these characters a little longer...
Susan Juby certainly gives us many reasons to keep breathing, not least the hope that another of her novels will quickly make it to a bookstore near us

For James
I don't know about you, but for me there came that moment during every visit to the farmers' market when I wanted more.

From Amazon Ca :Product Description
Woefield Farm is a sprawling thirty acres of scrub land, complete with dilapidated buildings and one halfsheared, lonely sheep named Bertie. It’s “run”—in the loosest possible sense of the word—by Prudence Burns, an energetic, well-intentioned twenty-something New Yorker full of backto- the-land ideals, but without an iota of related skills or experience. Prudence, who inherited the farm from her uncle, soon discovers that the bank is about to foreclose on Woefield Farm, which means that Prudence has to turn things around, fast. But fear not! She’ll be assisted by Earl, a spry seventy-something, banjo-playing foreman with a distrust of newfangled ideas and a substantial family secret; Seth, the alcoholic, celebrityblogging boy-next-door, who hasn’t left the house since a scandal with his high-school drama teacher; and Sara Spratt, a highly organized eleven-year-old looking for a home for her prizewinning chickens, including one particularly randy fellow soon to be christened Alec Baldwin.
Full of offbeat charm and characters you won’t soon forget, The Woefield Poultry Collective is a heartwarming novel about learning how to take on a challenge, facing your fears, and finding friendship in the most unlikely of places. With alternating narratives, Susan Juby shows how a team of misfits can find acceptance and success, even with—and sometimes in spite of—their highly unorthodox approach.

"Prudence Burns, a well-intentioned New Yorker full of back-to-the-land ideals, just inherited Woefield Farm--thirty acres of scrubland, dilapidated buildings, and one half-sheared sheep. But the bank is about to foreclose, so Prudence must turn things around fast!"--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Home to Woefield by Susan Juby was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,762,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible