The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

The Day Before (edition 2011)

by Lisa Schroeder

Title:The Day Before
Authors:Lisa Schroeder
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

English (32)  Italian (1)  All languages (33)
The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder is a beautiful example of what a YA verse novel can be. Amber wants to spend The Day Before alone, by herself. So she takes off for the beach leaving only notes for her family to tell them that she’ll be back later, in time.

With her life gradually no longer under her control, she wants a day that’s just her. Not a day dictated by the rules or her parents, or by anyone.

But then she meets Cade. With their instant attraction, soon Amber and Cade are spending more and more of the day together.

Deciding to spend a perfect day together: no talk of the past, no regrets, and no fear, the two soon learn things about each other anyway.

And Amber learns that while she’s living for the moment, for the perfect Day Before, Cade’s living each moment like it’s his last—and she’s becoming more and more worried for him.

Told in beautiful verse, The Day Before lets you a little bit more into the characters’ lives with each line.

We might not know what The Day Before is actually the day before for a while, but we gradually learn the situation. And, not knowing the situation, readers connect first with Amber’s reaction to what’s happening and then form their own reaction or opinion to it once they know the facts.

This is a case where not knowing the whole story really brings you closer to the character.

The relationship between the two characters, short though it may be, is just about perfect, too. Each has their own baggage that they bring to the Day making things interesting.

Even with the stories that each character had – both of which could have written to play up the drama, seem unrealistic – the entire novel was incredibly realistic, true to life. This book will leave you wanting to read the rest of Ms Schroeder’s writing if you haven’t aleady.

(read thanks to GalleyGrab)

soundtrack: Glitter In The Air by P!nk (kind of need to own/have this to listen to for reading The Day Before)
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Every now and then a book comes along that is so vivid, so beautifully written that you wish you could rewind the clock and savor it again for the first time. This is such a book.

My Twitter friends were raving about The Day Before, so I grabbed it at Borders while I was trolling their shelves last weekend. I didn't even open it; I just hauled it to the counter and paid for it. It wasn't until I cracked it open last night that I even saw the book is written in verse.

It's a collection of short poems that tell a story, and I wasn't sure I'd like it at first. There was so much white space on the page. It felt too light and airy, seeing the words floating on the paper, rather than being lined up in nice, neat rows. It didn't take me long to realize that nothing about the book was comfortable or familiar. It was shockingly different, new, and absolutely breathtakingly, hauntingly beautiful.

What once was strange and unfamiliar soon became a visual representation of freedom, which is ironic since the two characters in the book are anything but free. The power and simplicity of the poems reminded me why I love telling stories, and why I love to read. It made me feel, it made me ache, it made me cry, it made me smile. But above all, it made me want to write. Schroeder's work of art is a touching example of how words are like brush strokes in a painting: some are bold, some are light, but each one is important in portraying the full picture.

I can only hope to someday wield a brush as majestically as she has done with The Day Before. Thank you, Lisa! ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
I have never read a YA book written in verse before so this was a first for me. I tend to be biased towards prose and drama in my English lit studies as well but I thought it would be interesting to give this one a go to see if the choice of medium would be suitable to tell a story and how affecting it would be.

To be completely honest, I didn’t really connect to this book. The choice of verse to tell Amber’s story wasn’t completely successful in my opinion, although there are a few moments where the poetry is very effective and well done. Many times it felt like fancily rearranged sentences rather than carefully composed poetry. I can understand the choice of medium for capturing emotions rather than events but there were times where it just felt awkward, such as Amber discussing her favourite musician, Pink, and the movie guessing game she forms with Cade. The frequent shifts from verse to letter form to reveal more of Amber’s situation felt clumsy and shoved in at the last moment.

Amber’s situation is one that’s easy to sympathise with and her emotions are understandable, but no literary medium can make me interested in an instant love story with next to no development or even interaction. At one point Amber compares her and Cade’s situation to that of the wonderful movie “Before Sunrise” and it did feel as if “The Day Before” was aiming to be a poetic teenage version of that wonderful film. However, that film’s strength lay in the witty and very moving interactions between Ethan Hawke and Julie Deply to the point where even this romantic cynic was caught up in their fleeting love, something which just isn’t present in “The Day Before.” Amber is immediately taken with him and they barely speak to each other; when they do talk it’s over mundane things that have no real bearings on them as people. As such, their instant perfect connection never felt authentic and I was never emotionally invested in them as a couple.

I think one’s development of this novel will lie in how much one enjoys verse novels, but for me, this novel just didn’t click. “The Day Before” occasionally succeeds in capturing the complex emotions of its conflicted protagonist, but on the whole it felt underdeveloped and rushed, trying to live up to “Before Sunrise” (which I highly recommend). But while “Before Sunrise” made me believe two strangers could make a genuine connection over the course of one day, “The Day Before” did not. I’m definitely interested in reading more verse YA though; I want to see the medium truly rise to its potential.

“The Day Before” will be released in USA on June 28th. I received my ARC from Simon & Schuster’s Galley Grab program.
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |
This book makes you really feel that emotions of the main character. Throughout the whole book I could feel and understand what the character was going through. I read this book because it was by the same author who wrote that last book I read.
  edspicer | Apr 28, 2013 |

4.5 stars

Wow, this book really affected me, I'm kind of reeling from it at the moment and I owe a huge thanks to Jasprit who sent me the galleygrab newsletter for this. To be honest, if it wasn't a galleygrab freebie I doubt I would have ever read this beautiful, moving novel.

I was surprised to find it written in verse, my experience (generally centred around the novels of Ellen Hopkins) is that this can do wonders for a novel or send it sprawling flat on it's face. In this case, it worked so so well. Schroeder is a true poet, it flowed, was never dull and the entire effect left me needing to read more from this author.

The story is about a girl who finds out she was switched accidentally at birth. It all comes out when the baby she was switched with dies from leukemia at 15 after discovering that her supposed parents were inadequate blood donors. But at the same time another story is being told: the love story. It's an odd one, basically Amber (the protagonist) meets a boy (Cade) at the beach and they bond talking about jellyfish. This simple conversation leads to a day-long excursion, in which these two characters find something to alleviate their troubles and worries in each other's company. Something that starts out as nothing more than a cure for loneliness turns into genuine affection through subtle conservations and a mutual understanding that is so... touching.

Certain elements of this novel reminded me of If I Stay, though this one was in some ways much deeper. But they are both about finding something to live for in the smallest of pleasures: music, dancing, laughter... and jellyfish apparently. Their message is that even when your life seems to hit rock bottom, there is still always something to feel lucky for.

emleemay | Mar 30, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old Amber, hoping to spend one perfect day alone at the beach before her world is turned upside down, meets and feels a strong connection to Cade, who is looking for his own escape, for a very different reason.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,719,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible