Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Texas Gothic (2011)

by Rosemary Clement-Moore

I tend to adore books that take place in my home state. I don't even know the area that Texas Gothic takes place in but it's in Texas so it was definitely worth a shot. I also met Rosemary Clement-Moore, and she's fabulous. :D The description had me at witch, and I love books that involve them.

Amy is an intelligent, level-headed girl. She tries her best to be normal, but it's not easy at Goodnight Farm. She's attracted the attention of a ghost, and she's not happy about it. Ben is the hottie next door. He and Amy clash because he refuses to believe in any sort of magic. Although I found this frustrating since Amy is trying to be as normal as possible, but whatevs. :P I admire Ben because he's strong when his family needs him. The author has done a magnificent job of creating characters. Each one is full of depth, and could easily have their own spinoff stories.

I loved the family dynamic. Phin and Amy are sisters. Phin is older, although less mature in many ways. Phin doesn't know how to socialize with people, and had me giggling throughout the book. It reminded me a lot of how my siblings and I behave around each other.

The pacing was great, and nothing felt rushed. Just when you think things will be calm, the ghost decides to strike. There are quite a few twists. Events take place that I wasn't expecting at all.

Texas Gothic was a fun ghost story. I recommend for those that like a lot of sarcasm in their MC.

Great, Fun, Light! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I've just ordered my copy and I might receive it this Wednesday. I'm so excited!! The cover is beautiful!
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Not very often that I cannot get into a book - unfortunately, this was one. Tried to read this on several separate occasions and just couldn't get there.
I liked the whole premise of the book but after reading the first 15 chapters I just found that nothing was happening and I wasn't really too taken with the characters.
Nice concept, shame about the execution. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
Nice concept, shame about the execution. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
I liked this quite well, but another reader will like it more. I tend to like less real-world settings, but the story is tight and the mystery compelling. ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
The goat was in the tree again.

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:34 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Amy Goodnight has long been the one who makes her family of witches seem somewhat normal to others, but while spending a summer with her sister caring for their aunt's farm, Amy becomes the center of weirdness when she becomes tied to a powerful ghost.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible