Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Texas Gothic (2011)

by Rosemary Clement-Moore

I suffered through the first 170 pages of this book over the course of daaaays. Then, all of the sudden, this morning the book got good. And I blew through the last 230 pages over the course of a few hours.

Weird how that happens. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Predictable ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
I tend to adore books that take place in my home state. I don't even know the area that Texas Gothic takes place in but it's in Texas so it was definitely worth a shot. I also met Rosemary Clement-Moore, and she's fabulous. :D The description had me at witch, and I love books that involve them.

Amy is an intelligent, level-headed girl. She tries her best to be normal, but it's not easy at Goodnight Farm. She's attracted the attention of a ghost, and she's not happy about it. Ben is the hottie next door. He and Amy clash because he refuses to believe in any sort of magic. Although I found this frustrating since Amy is trying to be as normal as possible, but whatevs. :P I admire Ben because he's strong when his family needs him. The author has done a magnificent job of creating characters. Each one is full of depth, and could easily have their own spinoff stories.

I loved the family dynamic. Phin and Amy are sisters. Phin is older, although less mature in many ways. Phin doesn't know how to socialize with people, and had me giggling throughout the book. It reminded me a lot of how my siblings and I behave around each other.

The pacing was great, and nothing felt rushed. Just when you think things will be calm, the ghost decides to strike. There are quite a few twists. Events take place that I wasn't expecting at all.

Texas Gothic was a fun ghost story. I recommend for those that like a lot of sarcasm in their MC.

Great, Fun, Light! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I've just ordered my copy and I might receive it this Wednesday. I'm so excited!! The cover is beautiful!
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
17-year-old Amy Goodnight is the "normal" one among her family of witches, or so she claims, as the narrator of this sassy, supernatural romance. (How normal, though, when she’s caught outside in her underwear yelling at a cow?) Amy and her sister are caring for their aunt’s herb farm when Amy unwittingly attracts a powerful ghost, whose appearance coincides with the discovery of human remains at the neighboring ranch. She also attracts the attention of 19-year-old Ben McCulloch, her acerbic ranch neighbor who doesn't believe in spells, ghosts, or anything paranormal. But suspicions are raised and soon everyone in town is talking about the accidents and the strange lights and sounds coming from the site where Ben’s family is trying to build a bridge. Is it the “Mad Monk”, a local legend, or is Amy’s ghost somehow involved? Part mystery and romance, with a dash of forensics, history and humor, this fast-paced ghost story gains a lot from its rich Texas setting and distinctive cast of characters. A fun read for middle school and older. Suggest this along with “The Ghosts of Ashbury High” by Jaclyn Moriarty for another original look at gothic ghost stories or Maureen Johnson's "The Name of the Star" for similar voice and paranormal setting. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
The goat was in the tree again.

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:34 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Amy Goodnight has long been the one who makes her family of witches seem somewhat normal to others, but while spending a summer with her sister caring for their aunt's farm, Amy becomes the center of weirdness when she becomes tied to a powerful ghost.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,215,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible