Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Texas Gothic (2011)

by Rosemary Clement-Moore

2312050,068 (3.85)10

I liked this quite well, but another reader will like it more. I tend to like less real-world settings, but the story is tight and the mystery compelling. ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
Absolutely charming! Amy is a smart and practical member of a witchy family (literally), and despairs of ever being judged "normal." And then the neighboring farm (the owners of which hold a grudge against the Goodnights) appears to uncover a ghost and Amy and her science-witchy sister must figure out how to stop the haunting.

Throw in a very adorable boy-next-door , and this was completely delightful!

Highly recommended! ( )
  kayceel | Jun 16, 2014 |
RATING: 3.5 stars.

After the "Morganville Vampires" marathon I was longing for something I could read and be done with. Texas Gothic, a stand alone novel about a family of witches was a good choice. It has a definite end and it's enjoyable.

I liked the book, overall, but it wasn't an outstanding read. Amy is the typical 'black sheep' of the family because while all the others are witches and psychics she is "normal" and is somewhat embarrassed when her family starts acting... witchy. Typically Amy only wants to lead a normal, non-magical life.

But when her aunt asks her and her sister Phin to take care of her ranch, Amy will find herself involved in paranormal events that will follow her... whether she wants to or not.

The mystery with the ghost was pretty typical, nothing special. I did like the way the author was developing things gradually, but then she rushed everything in the last chapters and that made the ending kind of anticlimatic and nonsensical. Amy was all bent on being a sleuth but she ended up not doing that much investigation.

I liked the chemistry between Amy and Ben, it was really good and it seemed it was also going to be a gradual sort of relationship, until it... wasn't. But hey, at least it wasn't insta-love.

I got the feeling the author was taking her time developing her story and her characters but then it was like she just got tired of writing and decided on an abrupt end, which was kind of bad. So this book could have been really entertaining, but it was just mildly interesting.

Overall, Texas Gothic was an good read. I liked the characters (Phin was my favorite, she was great), the mystery and the whole history around it was cool, and the world and story building were great at first. I really liked the fact that it involved anthropology and digs and it also mentioned how people see digging of old cemeteries. But the ending was disappointing. A recommended read for lovers of paranormal mysteries. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
got to page 50 and couldn't read any more. Maybe I wasn't in good form, I don't know but will not try to read it again as all I can remember is that I struggled with it. ( )
  Aoifesheri | Aug 25, 2013 |
4Q 4P

'Texas Gothic' is a YA paranormal mystery/romance that is no where even close to the wildly popular 'Twilight' franchise, and that's a really good thing. Main character Amy (short for Amaryllis) Goodnight is the only "normal" member of her family of psychics and kitchen witches. Her sister Phin (Delphinium) is a brilliant chemistry/physics double major using the scientific method and her lab equipment to suss out paranormal activities. When the two of them watch over their aunt Hyacinth's (sensing a theme here?) farm for the summer, they get caught up in a haunting of a terrifying and personal nature. All the while, Phin is starting to get close to archaeologist Mark, and Amy is spending her time fighting with a brusque yet very attractive rancher named Ben. This book certainly lays the romance on, but Amy and Phin are far from boy-crazy girls or empty shells of characters; they're tough, smart, and self-aware and this is their mystery to solve. If they find love along the way, that's just a bonus. Well-written, with a good female voice and a great sense of humor in the narration, I think this book has just the right mix of romance, mystery, family drama, humor and horror to appeal to a wide range of readers.
1 vote chrismagnifico | May 22, 2013 |
The goat was in the tree again.

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:34 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Amy Goodnight has long been the one who makes her family of witches seem somewhat normal to others, but while spending a summer with her sister caring for their aunt's farm, Amy becomes the center of weirdness when she becomes tied to a powerful ghost.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible