Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Texas Gothic (2011)

by Rosemary Clement-Moore

2101955,654 (3.9)6
Recently added bybookqueenshelby, etbm2003, private library, AshleyLynnWillis, MABoone, diana.n

Absolutely charming! Amy is a smart and practical member of a witchy family (literally), and despairs of ever being judged "normal." And then the neighboring farm (the owners of which hold a grudge against the Goodnights) appears to uncover a ghost and Amy and her science-witchy sister must figure out how to stop the haunting.

Throw in a very adorable boy-next-door , and this was completely delightful!

Highly recommended! ( )
  kayceel | Jun 16, 2014 |
RATING: 3.5 stars.

After the "Morganville Vampires" marathon I was longing for something I could read and be done with. Texas Gothic, a stand alone novel about a family of witches was a good choice. It has a definite end and it's enjoyable.

I liked the book, overall, but it wasn't an outstanding read. Amy is the typical 'black sheep' of the family because while all the others are witches and psychics she is "normal" and is somewhat embarrassed when her family starts acting... witchy. Typically Amy only wants to lead a normal, non-magical life.

But when her aunt asks her and her sister Phin to take care of her ranch, Amy will find herself involved in paranormal events that will follow her... whether she wants to or not.

The mystery with the ghost was pretty typical, nothing special. I did like the way the author was developing things gradually, but then she rushed everything in the last chapters and that made the ending kind of anticlimatic and nonsensical. Amy was all bent on being a sleuth but she ended up not doing that much investigation.

I liked the chemistry between Amy and Ben, it was really good and it seemed it was also going to be a gradual sort of relationship, until it... wasn't. But hey, at least it wasn't insta-love.

I got the feeling the author was taking her time developing her story and her characters but then it was like she just got tired of writing and decided on an abrupt end, which was kind of bad. So this book could have been really entertaining, but it was just mildly interesting.

Overall, Texas Gothic was an good read. I liked the characters (Phin was my favorite, she was great), the mystery and the whole history around it was cool, and the world and story building were great at first. I really liked the fact that it involved anthropology and digs and it also mentioned how people see digging of old cemeteries. But the ending was disappointing. A recommended read for lovers of paranormal mysteries. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
got to page 50 and couldn't read any more. Maybe I wasn't in good form, I don't know but will not try to read it again as all I can remember is that I struggled with it. ( )
  Aoifesheri | Aug 25, 2013 |
4Q 4P

'Texas Gothic' is a YA paranormal mystery/romance that is no where even close to the wildly popular 'Twilight' franchise, and that's a really good thing. Main character Amy (short for Amaryllis) Goodnight is the only "normal" member of her family of psychics and kitchen witches. Her sister Phin (Delphinium) is a brilliant chemistry/physics double major using the scientific method and her lab equipment to suss out paranormal activities. When the two of them watch over their aunt Hyacinth's (sensing a theme here?) farm for the summer, they get caught up in a haunting of a terrifying and personal nature. All the while, Phin is starting to get close to archaeologist Mark, and Amy is spending her time fighting with a brusque yet very attractive rancher named Ben. This book certainly lays the romance on, but Amy and Phin are far from boy-crazy girls or empty shells of characters; they're tough, smart, and self-aware and this is their mystery to solve. If they find love along the way, that's just a bonus. Well-written, with a good female voice and a great sense of humor in the narration, I think this book has just the right mix of romance, mystery, family drama, humor and horror to appeal to a wide range of readers.
1 vote chrismagnifico | May 22, 2013 |
A pair of disclaimers: I’m not really the target audience of this book (since I’m not a YA girl). Perhaps countering that, though, I have something of a fan-boy crush on the author since I think she’s a fabulous panelist. If you ever get to see her at a convention, give her a listen.

I liked the book fairly well, but… since comparisons to her other work are inevitable… I didn’t like it as much as I liked her Maggie Quinn books. For some reason, I did not find this book’s Amy Goodnight to be as engaging as Maggie Quinn, and a lot of that boiled down to the narrative voice. I’ll at least grant her this much, considering that both books were written first person from the POV of an 18-19 year old girl, their narrative styles were noticeably different. I guess I just liked Maggie’s voice better.

The other thing that set me against the book from the start was the subject matter. It’s a ghost story. While Maggie is off fighting demons and closing off interdimensional portals, this story is about a ghost haunting a Texas ranch. It was well done, and the ghostly interactions were not overdone, but real life “ghost hunters” annoy the shit out of me. No offense to you personally if you’re one of them, but I have a hard time not crying bullshit on them. As such, I was not primed to enjoy a ghost story.

Now, having said that, it was well done and believable, not so much because the character believed, but because the character did not want to believe. She acknowledged that yes, it could very well be a true ghost out there causing problems, but she did not want that to be true. That was enough to quiet my inner skeptic enough to go along for the ride.

And it was a fun ride. There were heroes and villains, lust and greed, real danger, and real consequences. It was not just a scary weekend listening to stairs creak. It was a little adventure that actually got to the bottom of things.

So, I can actually recommend it to others, but given my pre-existing annoyance with things ghost-related, I probably would not have recommended it to myself. ( )
  DanThompson | Apr 29, 2013 |
The goat was in the tree again.

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:46 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Amy Goodnight has long been the one who makes her family of witches seem somewhat normal to others, but while spending a summer with her sister caring for their aunt's farm, Amy becomes the center of weirdness when she becomes tied to a powerful ghost.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,703,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible