Texas gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Texas gothic (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Member:agneson9
Title:Texas gothic
Authors:Rosemary Clement-Moore
Info:London : Corgi, 2011.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:grp-fiction, for-chi-ya, grp-sff, series

Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (2011)

more reviews at: thegoddessofbooks.blogspot.com

Of course there's a hot neighbor cowboy. Of course there is. But if you ignore the oh-so-predictable romance, this is an awesome book. It's Nancy Drew with a paranormal/magic twist. That Amy is the only person in a family of magical people who doesn't have a power reminds me of Once a Witch, though it has a different kind of magic. I have to give this book points for taking place in Texas, for mentioning the city of Austin several times, and for mentioning on of my favorite television shows; Bones. There was mystery, there was a conspiracy, and there was the main character almost becoming collateral damage to the bad guys, along with some funny lines. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
First I have to add, what a beautiful cover this is. Normally we never “judge a book by it's’ cover” but this one is so eye catching and lovely so, yes, I am guilty of this. Just for this one.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a book that made me laugh as much as this one! Amy is such a likable character, one that you can relate to and instantly befriend if she were in your class/neighborhood/work place. It makes the story enjoyable to read, and adds more personality to the book. Supporting cast around Amy also do a great job and are fun to read as well. Her sister Phin is such a great laugh and fun to read. Amy has a pretty kooky family to begin with which adds more to her imperfections and makes her all the more likable.

The romance aspect was cute and fun to read. To be expected as the main central theme is seen with a comedic light. Loved Amy and Ben hating each other first and then it grows to love. Yes it sounds pretty cliche and very Harlequin Romance. It’s over done isn’t it? I’ll accept it for this time. If it’s done with likable characters, then it makes the romance bearable.

Onto the plot itself. It was well done. A mystery with supernatural elements to it. It’s a well rounded book with plenty of other elements drawn in without making the plot confusing or all over the place. It’s well written, and enjoyable. I couldn’t really compare this with anything else that I have read in the past although Nancy Drew with supernatural powers comes pretty close. Although the plot was great and everything in it was a joy to read, 400 and more pages is just a little too much. Maybe there was just too many ‘fillers’ in the book added to make it this long. It’s not necessary. Short books are okay too, we have a huge pile to go through as readers. :)

Overall worth a read. Love it for the comedy factor and a well written murder mystery with paranormal elements. Also love it for the well written characters featured. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Apr 8, 2017 |
I suffered through the first 170 pages of this book over the course of daaaays. Then, all of the sudden, this morning the book got good. And I blew through the last 230 pages over the course of a few hours.

Weird how that happens. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Predictable ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
I tend to adore books that take place in my home state. I don't even know the area that Texas Gothic takes place in but it's in Texas so it was definitely worth a shot. I also met Rosemary Clement-Moore, and she's fabulous. :D The description had me at witch, and I love books that involve them.

Amy is an intelligent, level-headed girl. She tries her best to be normal, but it's not easy at Goodnight Farm. She's attracted the attention of a ghost, and she's not happy about it. Ben is the hottie next door. He and Amy clash because he refuses to believe in any sort of magic. Although I found this frustrating since Amy is trying to be as normal as possible, but whatevs. :P I admire Ben because he's strong when his family needs him. The author has done a magnificent job of creating characters. Each one is full of depth, and could easily have their own spinoff stories.

I loved the family dynamic. Phin and Amy are sisters. Phin is older, although less mature in many ways. Phin doesn't know how to socialize with people, and had me giggling throughout the book. It reminded me a lot of how my siblings and I behave around each other.

The pacing was great, and nothing felt rushed. Just when you think things will be calm, the ghost decides to strike. There are quite a few twists. Events take place that I wasn't expecting at all.

Texas Gothic was a fun ghost story. I recommend for those that like a lot of sarcasm in their MC.

Great, Fun, Light! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
The goat was in the tree again.

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:34 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Amy Goodnight has long been the one who makes her family of witches seem somewhat normal to others, but while spending a summer with her sister caring for their aunt's farm, Amy becomes the center of weirdness when she becomes tied to a powerful ghost.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,843,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible