Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Texas Gothic (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Series: Texas Gothic (1)

Seventeen-year-old Amy Goodnight has long been the one who makes her family of witches seem somewhat normal to others, but while spending a summer with her sister caring for their aunt's farm, Amy becomes the center of weirdness when she becomes tied to a powerful ghost.
Member:catthebooklady
Title:Texas Gothic
Authors:Rosemary Clement-Moore
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 416 pages

Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (2011)

Highly recommended, and a fun read.

Amy Goodnight knows that the world isn't as simple as it seems. She also understands that "normal" doesn't mix with magic, and she's worked hard to build a wall between the two worlds. Not only to protect her family, who are all practicing witches, but to protect any hope of ever having a normal life herself.
Ranch-sitting for her aunt in Texas should be exactly that: good old ordinary, uneventful hard work. Only, Amy and her sister, Phin, aren't alone. There's someone else in the house with them--and it's not the living, breathing, amazingly hot cowboy from the ranch next door.
It's a ghost, and it's more powerful than the Goodnights and all their protective spells combined. It wants something from Amy, and none of her carefully built defenses can hold it back. ( )
  Gmomaj | Dec 7, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. A wonderful mix of paranormal fun...not too creepy, but enough to lace the mystery with paranormal effects.
Great read! ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
more reviews at: thegoddessofbooks.blogspot.com

Of course there's a hot neighbor cowboy. Of course there is. But if you ignore the oh-so-predictable romance, this is an awesome book. It's Nancy Drew with a paranormal/magic twist. That Amy is the only person in a family of magical people who doesn't have a power reminds me of Once a Witch, though it has a different kind of magic. I have to give this book points for taking place in Texas, for mentioning the city of Austin several times, and for mentioning on of my favorite television shows; Bones. There was mystery, there was a conspiracy, and there was the main character almost becoming collateral damage to the bad guys, along with some funny lines. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
First I have to add, what a beautiful cover this is. Normally we never “judge a book by it's’ cover” but this one is so eye catching and lovely so, yes, I am guilty of this. Just for this one.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a book that made me laugh as much as this one! Amy is such a likable character, one that you can relate to and instantly befriend if she were in your class/neighborhood/work place. It makes the story enjoyable to read, and adds more personality to the book. Supporting cast around Amy also do a great job and are fun to read as well. Her sister Phin is such a great laugh and fun to read. Amy has a pretty kooky family to begin with which adds more to her imperfections and makes her all the more likable.

The romance aspect was cute and fun to read. To be expected as the main central theme is seen with a comedic light. Loved Amy and Ben hating each other first and then it grows to love. Yes it sounds pretty cliche and very Harlequin Romance. It’s over done isn’t it? I’ll accept it for this time. If it’s done with likable characters, then it makes the romance bearable.

Onto the plot itself. It was well done. A mystery with supernatural elements to it. It’s a well rounded book with plenty of other elements drawn in without making the plot confusing or all over the place. It’s well written, and enjoyable. I couldn’t really compare this with anything else that I have read in the past although Nancy Drew with supernatural powers comes pretty close. Although the plot was great and everything in it was a joy to read, 400 and more pages is just a little too much. Maybe there was just too many ‘fillers’ in the book added to make it this long. It’s not necessary. Short books are okay too, we have a huge pile to go through as readers. :)

Overall worth a read. Love it for the comedy factor and a well written murder mystery with paranormal elements. Also love it for the well written characters featured. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Apr 8, 2017 |
I suffered through the first 170 pages of this book over the course of daaaays. Then, all of the sudden, this morning the book got good. And I blew through the last 230 pages over the course of a few hours.

Weird how that happens. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

The goat was in the tree again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,782,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible