Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (3)

I've reached the end! But, so much expectation and so little satisfaction. I love Delirium because I love Alex and for me the Shakespearean ending was just absolutely beautiful, sad, and perfectly tragic. His sacrifice for love and Lena's escape was epic and showcased how powerful love is. And for that, I would have been content if Alex truly had died at the end of Delirium and Lena moved on with Julian instead of the love triangle that kind of the clogged up what could have been an amazing end to such a promising trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I love Alex and feel that he and Lena's mother were the heart and soul of this trilogy. The reason why I would have been content with Alex's death, though I dearly love his character, is because Alex had shown Lena what love is and the power it contains and for her to continue fighting alongside the resistance in honor of Alex and their love, along with learning to love again, would have been a more powerful, heartfelt storyline than constructing an unnecessary love triangle.

I understand why Lauren Oliver wanted to include the love triangle - to illustrate why deliria nervosa was feared and why others wanted a cure to curb how volatile our feelings can make us sometimes (hence Lena referencing that she sometimes wonder if it would have been better to have been cured and to not feel than to be consumed with unmanageable feelings) - I just think there are plenty of other ways to illustrate that like the aforementioned learning to love again after the loss of your first love. I also feel as though this triangle completely took away from the character development of both Alex and Julian, as well as Lena. Characters who had so much potential especially with Julian since he used to be the face of the "Cured" - how diametrical and powerful would it have been to use him as the anti-cure. Like I said, I was overjoyed to have Alex back but then he barely had anything to do within this novel and Julian was just "there" like an awkward third wheel. For these reasons and many others, I feel as though this love triangle was unnecessary and actually took away from a story that had so much potential.

So despite the excitement of Alex's reappearance, this book for me was the worst of the three and the conclusion was ineffective and rushed. I get the sense that the author chose to end the trilogy in this manner to open up different avenues for the TV show to venture into depending on the success and it's longevity. Therefore, not offering any real sense of closure for fear that it may limit the direction and plot of the TV show. So I feel cheated as a fan of the trilogy because what if the TV show sucks (in fact I'm not really thrilled with the cast thus far) and if the TV show doesn't last long enough to complete the story then we'll never get any real closure about the characters and the cause we've come to love and care about. It definitely didn't live up to the expectation and excitement I felt when I first finished Delirium, to the moment when I closed Pandemonium and picked up Requiem. I am left wanting more ...

Updated (June 22, 2013)

Heard this weeks ago when the networks revealed the fall lineup, but haven't had time to update this review. However, it looks like Fox wasn't impressed with the pilot of Delirium and did not pick up the series. I figured as much when I heard who was cast in the lead roles. ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
Beautiful, awesome, amazing!! The end frustrated me a bit though!! ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
The first book I enjoyed about the same amount as I enjoyed all of the other YA dystopian trilogies that came out around the same time. It was good enough to keep me reading, but angsty enough that I didn't thoroughly enjoy it because the characters were too annoying. The second book I attempted to read about 3 times before I could get through it, as it was too slow and had way too much unneeded romantic drama.

Then we get to book 3. It certainly turned up the action, which I appreciate, and looked like it may just bring the series back up to the level of the first book. But ultimately, the ending totally ruined the book. Oliver decided to end with a successful capture of the main character's home city by the rebels, but didn't actually explain anything at all. Lena had an implied, totally unrealistic and unexplained reconciliation with the former love interest who had been ignoring her for several months, and then proceeded to continue helping take over the town. What happened between her and the boy she'd recently gotten together with was left unexplained, along with whether or not the seemingly doomed revolution ever even made it past that first city.

There was little character development in any of the books, and overall it was a total waste of time. If what you want is a cheesy love triangle with an unrealistic plot, this is your series. Otherwise, stay far away. ( )
  ReganSmith2 | Apr 8, 2017 |
For me this book took way to long to read. It was just really boring for me. Especially compared to the first two books in the series. I really did have high hopes for it. It was really disappointing. I did give it three stars though because it did have some really good parts to it. ( )
  sam276 | Mar 30, 2017 |
In general I'm not a huge fan of series but this has been one of my favourites - complex and extremely well written. The ending made me appreciate the series even more.
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
For Michael, who took down the walls.
I've started dreaming of Portland again.

"While Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland."--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible