Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (3)

I just finished reading Requiem. It is the final book in the Delirium trilogy written by Lauren Oliver. Lena has now officially become an active force of the resistance. She finds that the force grows stronger every day. They work together to form a plan to make their existence known. Meanwhile, Hana finds herself adjusting to her new life after being cured. She’s getting ready to be married to the mayor. Lena and Hana grew up together as best friends. Now they find themselves on opposite sides.

Like the first two books, I really loved this book. I personally loved that the final book was from both Lena and Hana’s perspectives. It gave things a very creative touch. It was pretty interesting to have a perspective from a cured’s point of view. It gave it an unexpected angle. I won’t go into details, but I really loved how there were many parts in the ending that were left open for interpretation. Most of the time, this isn’t done correctly, but it’s done correctly with this ending.

The only thing I didn’t like about this book was that it didn’t go into many details about what happened to Lena’s family. They are mentioned a few times, but never really fully discussed. I’d of liked to have seen that. I also wish they could have added a “years later” part. It would have been nice to see how things turned out. I still liked the trilogy regardless. It was very well written.

I fully recommend this book. I would recommend that the reader read the first two books first. The first book is called Delirium. The second book is called Pandemonium. Be prepared to fall in love with the characters. Especially some of the younger ones. I know I did! ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Nov 22, 2014 |
My original review when I wrote it for my blog was a 5/5 stars but after thinking about it for a long time I want to give it a 4 instead. I think that the main reason that I gave this the extra star was because it was the first ARC I ever received and I was just so happy with the ending I wasn't thinking so much about the book as a whole.

You can see my full (original) review here: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2013/01/spoiler-alert-requiem-of-deliri...
  bpress | Nov 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the way the book took turns with Lena and Hanna on each chapter. I felt a bit short changed on the end though. There were some unanswered questions about key characters that I would have liked to have found out more of. ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |
Once upon a time, I read Delirium and liked it.

Once upon another time, I read Pandemonium and liked it even more.

Now, in the present, I just finished reading Requiem and by golly am I shocked. Shocked by how bad this book was.

I really liked this series; I loved how Lena grew in the first book from someone who was all about rules and order, to someone who was in love. Then when Alex 'died' I liked that, because Lena had a very unrealistic view on love and started to understand why people wanted the cure. The cure, would keep this pain away from her.

Then the second book came and the book introduced a different more grown up Lena. Alex was gone, but Julian came and he was awesome. I liked him better than Alex, which should have been the first sign to me that I should stop caring about him because he gets totally shafted in Requiem. But that's jumping ahead. In the second book, Lena and Julian are lovey dovey and bam Alex returns and we've entered the forsaken love triangle realm of YA.

Requiem then comes and instead of getting only Lena's view on the world, we also see Hana. I liked Hana in the first novel, so I enjoyed seeing her here. She's different, now that she's cured, but her story is still a lot more interesting than Lena, who I've officially come to hate in this novel.

Before I get into her, here's what I thought about the book.

The Good:

Julian. He's still loveable and an all round great guy. He's also not childish and considerate of other people's feelings. He's awesome! I don't want him to be with Lena and I don't ship them, I simply am a fan of Julian.

Hana's plot was interesting too, her chapters were too short so we never got a better look into her world, but it was still good. Hana has to deal with getting married and the guilt that has plagued her since Lena left. Her husband to be isn't all that great and the more she learns about him, the more she begins to question everything else.

I also liked how sure of herself she was. She's cured and she likes it. Granted, I think if you're cured you'll like it either way, but I liked that she wasn't struggling with the loss of love. She accepted it and moved on. It is what it is and what's done is done.

But the best thing about Hana's story, there was no love triangle. In fact, there was no romance at all. It’s just Hana being cool.

The Okay:

I still don't really understand what the loss of love really does. Hana's parents seem to care about her a great deal, but I don't see how that's possible if there is no love. It isn't described much in this novel, compared to the others, so I suppose that's a good thing.

The Bad

There are spoilers ahead, so be warned. There's also a lot of ranting....lots.

Lena and Alex are, to quote GlaDos, horrible. You know, I think they might just be the worse couple that I've read in a YA novel thus far. They're childish, petty, and so incredibly stupid. Once Alex shows up, he sees Lena with Julian and decides to let her go. Because that's what good boyfriends do.

But in order to do this, he acts like an ass. He's rude, he's whiny, and he's just downright horrible to Lena. He tells her that he doesn't love her and that they've changed. Lena cries, he acts like he doesn't care. So what does Lena do? She runs into the arms of Julian. She needs comfort and to make Alex jealous. Alex, not one to be upped in the childish games, finds a love interest for himself in Coral. Lena hates her. Alex hates Julian. Coral likes Alex. Julian loves Lena.

Coral and Julian both get strung around while Alex and Lena continue their petty games.

Seriously, Alex and Lena just suck.

So they fight, they both run into the arms of others, then at the end of the novel Alex and Julian fight and Alex leaves. Before he does he leaves a note mentioning the story of Solomon. Get it, Lena is the baby and Alex is the mother who doesn't want her chopped up. See, he's such a caring guy that he's letting Lena stay with Julian. Awwww.

Once this happens, Coral tells Lena that Alex really loves her and Lena decides the best way to deal with this is become cold and distant with Julian. Julian, should cut his losses. Lena is only there for him when Alex isn't in the picture and when he's being a jerkwad.

And this is my biggest problem with love triangles. Why introduce another character whose only purpose is to be used like this? It's not fun, it's not cute. It's just depressing and makes the MC look really bad. Why do I need to see the MC kiss another guy, when I know that she's in love with someone else and would rather be with them? That's horrible. Just horrible.

It's even worse when the second guy is better than the first.

With Requiem, there is actually no point to Julian's character other than to play second string to Alex.

Now you may be thinking that I'm stressing way too much over this, but when Lena's chapters came this was the main storyline. There was some stuff about the rebels and invalids, but the main theme was Lena loves Alex, Alex loves Lena, but they're too childish to communicate.

I mean, there was even a conversation between the two where Lena tells Alex to go run off to Coral and he says, "You don't get it do you?" Of course she doesn't you moron! She can't read your mind, she only knows what you tell her and you keep telling her that you don't love her or need her in your life. What else is she suppose to think!

Honestly, if this is what love makes people do in this world, then I support the program to remove it from their lives.

Overall:

This is a disappointing ending to an otherwise good series. Requiem is just beyond disappointing and the love triangle was horrible. All it did was make me hate Lena and Alex, which is a shame, since I liked them in the first book. Even worse, is that it left me with a bad taste with regards to this trilogy Instead of thinking, "Hey, this is good." I'll always think, "Lena and Alex *spitting noise*". ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
The first book, Delirium, was the best in this series. The second book and this book don’t match up with it at all in my opinion. As with the second book, the narrator of this audio book really grated on me. I didn’t like her at all. Sometimes it just takes a little to get used to a narrator but not this time. As for the story: I didn’t like the love triangle. I think it’s used too often in young adult literature to be honest. I felt the ending of this book was cut off. Not necessarily rushed but cut off too soon. I feel like I’ve been left hanging. What happens to Hana? Did Lena really choose Alex or not? What happens now after the walls are torn down? We get nothing. I had hoped that my ambivalence of the second book was just a case of a weak middle trilogy book, but this last book didn’t make me feel any better about the series. I like the idea – that love is a disease and society’s role is to cure it, and it came across great in the first book but I just didn’t feel it for these last two books. Not sure I’d recommend the series as a whole. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 16, 2014 |
I've started dreaming of Portland again.

"While Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland."--

125 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,439,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible