Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (3)

644None15,161 (3.61)9

In this last installment of the trilogy, the story alternates between Lena, struggling to survive in the Wilds, and Hana as she realizes that the Cure and her perfect fiance are not all they seem to be. As both sides of the wall hurtle towards an inevitable confrontation, both girls must decide what kind of life they want to fight for. "Requiem" was just as well-written and exciting as the first two books and, in the end, a fitting conclusion to the trilogy. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 8, 2014 |
Great end to the trilogy! ( )
  irinka87 | Mar 25, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

War is in the midst as the freedom to Love and the freedom to Choose are at stake in Requiem, the final book in the Delirium trilogy.

"We wanted the freedom to love. We wanted the freedom to choose. now we have to fight for it." (loc. 3997)

I am attempting to make this review as spoiler-free as possible, but in all reality if you haven't read Delirium or Pandemonium, you shouldn't be reading this.
I found this finale interesting as we were able to see through both sides of the resistance; Lena on one, and Hana on the other. Will their friendship supersede everything that goes against their values? I guess you'll find out, and you can love it or hate it but in the end, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, haha! Both Lena and Hana are going down roads that they feel they have no control over. Their own love lives are imbalanced and it has left them both thoroughly unhappy.

"This is not freedom. This is not the new world we imagined. It can't be. This is a nightmare." (loc. 1874)

For me, Hana's story is way more interesting than Lena's. Hana is about to marry the Mayor (now Fred Hargrove) and with it she has obtained the responsibilities of keeping up appearances. This is getting harder for her as she learns the truth about her husband-to-be, and his past. She has been cured, yes, but exactly how far does the cure go? The center of this book seems to revolve around the concept of jealousy and sacrifices. Hana admits to things she has done out of jealousy, Lena does things out of jealousy, and even her true love does things out of jealousy (The Book of Shhh and the real version, which an ultimate tale of sacrifice.

I've been very fond of Lauren Oliver's writing style, and although this book isn't the best display of it (as it is greatly exemplified in the first book, Delirium, and in her novel Before I Fall,) it fits well with the previous two books. Lena is changing, as is society, and this book changes with it. In all, I found the book a quick read, thanks to it's swift fast-paced plot, and a great ending to the series. I was very pleased with the ending, because it leaves room for interpretation; Portland is, after all, just one city.

"But we have chosen a different road. And in the end that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose." (loc. 291)

"You must hurt, or be hurt." (loc. 398)

"We wanted the freedom to love, and instead we have been turned into fighters, savages." (loc. 3538) ( )

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
I've started dreaming of Portland again.

"While Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland."--

125 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible