Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (3)

Guys, I've been struggling to write a coherent review, but I can't. This book has turned my heart into a gaping black hole of sadness.

I'm sad because the series ended, I'm sad because I won't be able to see more of Lena's world. I'm sad because... I'm not really sure how the series ended.

Exactly my reaction.

Here's where my ranting will begin.

Requiem , with its 391 pages, inmerses us in a story told by both Lena's and Hana's perspectives. With this, we get to see what's happenning both in the Wilds and in the "cured" society.

At first, I really couldn't care less about Hana, because I HATED her after reading the short story. I mean, what kind of "best friend" acts the way she did? It's just inconcievable. Reading Hana's POV was a struggle for me in the opening chapters.

My opinion changed, though, as the story progressed. Hana's character was growing and evolving, becoming the Hana that I loved when I first read Delirium . For the end of the book, Hana had already redeemed herself in my eyes.

Lena's character is a whole different story. While I loved her change in Pandemonium, I found that I couldn't really stand her in this book. She had regressed into the insecure, impressionable, whiny teenager that was introduced in Delirium .

Maybe I'm being harsh, but that's how I felt. I mean throughout the whole book Lena was saying "the old Lena is dead", but I couldn't bring myself to believe that.

On to the actual review .

Definition of REQUIEM
1: a mass for the dead
2: a solemn chant (as a dirge) for the repose of the dead
3: a musical setting of the mass for the dead

Just by that definition, we know that they'll be tragedy in this book. Unless you're like me and preferred to stay in denial until the actual tragedies occured .

So, the story started out pretty compelling. I read this book in about 4 hours. It was that good.

As always, Lauren Oliver's prose was captivating and beautiful. She always found a way to deliver a message, and in this book, made me believe that maybe the "cure" wasn't as bad as it seemed.

"Who knows? Maybe they’re right. Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings. Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.
But we have chosen a different road. And in the end that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.
We are even free to choose the wrong thing.”

“We are always being pushed and squeezed down one road or another. We have no choice but to step forward, and then step forward again, and then step forward again; suddenly we find ourselves on a road we haven't chosen at all.”

While the previous books were mainly "love" based, this one made the transition from "love" to "revolution". There weren't many "swoony" moments, but in a way, I didn't seem to mind. Before starting this book, all I wanted to know was, WHO THE HECK IS LENA GOING TO CHOOSE? , but then I realised, this book isn't ONLY about a love triangle. I was too emotionally attached for my own enjoyment of the book.

“But maybe happiness isn't in the choosing. Maybe it's in the fiction, in the pretending: that wherever we have ended up is where we intended to be all along.”

If you read my status updates, you'll notice that I was thoroughly stressed out. Why? Because as I kept nearing the end, I realised I had NO CLUE as to how the story would unravel. All I felt was a tightness in my chest and a pounding in my head.

When the ending came around, there were many things that completely blew me away. I mean, the way everything was crafted? It was great. It was amazing. But it was also heartbreaking. After about 300 pages of "hinting" toward something, we realize that the story went somewhere else. It was both frustrating yet refreshing.

What bothered me about the ending? The fact that it DIDN'T END.

The resolution of the love triangle was just about 3 pages long, and then, it wasn't even THAT solved.

And the resolution of the revolution? Well, it was open ended. The ending was left up to us to decide. I would've really liked it if there was at least an epilogue, to just let us know what happened.

When I passed that last page, this was my reaction:

Overall, I enjoyed the story enough to feel completely heartbroken to know that it's the last of the series. I just wish Lauren Oliver wouldn't have left us hanging. 4 stars.

Initial Reactions after finishing book:

I won't review this yet, because if I were to write a review at this instant, I'd rate this probably 2 stars (I even contemplated rating this 1 star). I am currently restraining myself from even writing what I feel, because, frankly, I have no clue. I can only say that I'm crying tears of rage while my mom laughs at me.

In depth rant review to come soon.]

Review of Alex a Delirium short story:

This book destroyed me in only 27 pages.

EVERYTHING HE WENT THROUGH!

This is what I always wanted to know. I couldn't get past the torture descriptions without shedding a few tears.

I LOVE this short story from the Delirium world. As far as short stories go, this one is one of the most substancial ones of all.

It actually contributes greatly to both Requiem and Pandemonium . Better to read it AFTER finishing Requiem, though.

This book is definitely the most beautifully written of all the short stories.

I loved every second of it, even if I wanted to read more about Alex.

"How did I love her?
Let me count the ways."

"... how she looked at me like I could save her from everything bad in the world.
This was my secret: she was the one who saved me."

"Maybe we'd be better off [without love].
But how could anyone who's ever seen a summer-big explosions of green and skies lit up electric with splashy sunsets, a riot of flowers and wind that smells like honey-pick the snow?"

If it wasn't clear enough already, 5 stars. ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
Ugh! The ending leaves much to be desired!!!! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
I didn't like it. At all.

I mean, I LOVED the first two books, but this? Nah. Everything is confusing and what happened did not make sense at all.
God, I hate the ending. ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
Loved it!!! ( )
  Audri-Anne | Apr 6, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the way the book took turns with Lena and Hanna on each chapter. I felt a bit short changed on the end though. There were some unanswered questions about key characters that I would have liked to have found out more of. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
For Michael, who took down the walls.
I've started dreaming of Portland again.

"While Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland."--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,431,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible