Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem

by Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium (3)

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THIS SHIT?

I'm not going to bother writing a coherent review, because I am just SO MAD about this.

I was SO excited to read this last book because the second book, although it was bad, was actually likeable, and I thought that it couldn't POSSIBLY be as bad as the first and second book together, so I read it.

I WAS WRONG. IT WAS WORSE. IT WAS A THOUSAND TIMES WORSE THAN BOOK 1 & 2 COMBINED. What the fuck was this?!

Oliver took the great opportunity of the accidental love triangle to base the entire fuckery of this novel on it. Not only was it a pathetic and POINTLESS love triangle, Lena STRINGS JULIAN ALONG TO MAKE ALEX JEALOUS.

Who DOES that? There's a God damn war on and you're worrying about who should get in your pants first?

*RAGE*

Here are some stupid fucking examples:

"The girls chews her lip. Alex reaches out and touches her hand, gentle and reassuring, and I am suddenly filled with, head to toe, with the feeling that I am going to be sick."

"I feel another stab of jealousy, watching Alex watching her."

"It's just Coral. Her skin shines a vivid white in the moonlight, and she is wearing an oversized sweatshirt that recognize as belonging to Alex. My stomach clenches. I bring the rifle up to my shoulder, swing the muzzle towards her, think:Bang"

What the fuck is wrong with you, Lena?!

And may I point out that she does all this whilst claiming AND telling Julian that she is madly, head over heels in love with him! Julian, DUMP HER ASS.

Not only that, but Lena is a constant bitch to Julian, except for when she needs him to make Alex jealous:

"I feel unjustifiably angry with him. His presence, his anxiety, is a reminder that there is a difference between his people and mine."

His people and mine. Like he didn't abandon his life to be with you, Lena, you ungrateful little bitch.

"'Good for you,' I cut him off. 'You pulled a trigger.'
Julian looks hurt. I've been horrible to him for days now."

And right at the end, when Lena is too fucking busy making up with Alex, her ONLY thought about Julian is, "I hope he has not been hurt."

I'm so mad. SO mad. That poor guy left EVERYTHING behind to be with you, Lena, and he goes out and FIGHTS to keep YOU safe, but it doesn't matter, because you're too fucking busy getting frisky with Alex.

To that, I say die. Fucking die you slimy twerp.

For that reason only, NO stars. And no review praising the only GOOD aspect of the book: Hana's POV.

Fuck this.
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
I have such mixed opinions on this last book in the Delirium series. I have enjoyed the series, but the pacing and story in this one seemed to stall a little bit. And the ending... I just don't know how I feel about it!

I liked the back and forth POVs between Lena and Hana. Hana's character is so different now, almost a faded version of herself. The foundation is still there and there are still sparks of the Hana that we met in Delirium but the "cure" has dampened those parts of her that made her who she was. Yet another moment that makes you question just how much of a price is worth paying for a supposedly stable society. We also learn some secrets about Hana, things I had suspected but now we know for sure. That certainly added a twist to her character. Lena has struggles of her own and the changes her character has undergone between the first and this last book are pretty amazing. She is no longer the meek girl she once was.

However, there were times when it felt like this was more Hana's story than Lena's. It often seemed as if Lena's story just wasn't progressing very much. The dynamic between her and her relationships just seemed off, with neither of her love interests really pushing forward too much. There was just no real resolution there and I wish their had been.

The ending... I felt like it was too open-ended, too many questions left unanswered about the world, about Lena, about her mother, about Alex, about Julian. This was the last book and I feel like it ended with as many open questions as it started.

My Recommendation: As a standalone, I don't know that I would necessarily recommend this book. But if you have read the series, it is definitely a must read to get some resolution. I gave it 3.5 mugs. ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 5, 2015 |
I just finished reading Requiem. It is the final book in the Delirium trilogy written by Lauren Oliver. Lena has now officially become an active force of the resistance. She finds that the force grows stronger every day. They work together to form a plan to make their existence known. Meanwhile, Hana finds herself adjusting to her new life after being cured. She’s getting ready to be married to the mayor. Lena and Hana grew up together as best friends. Now they find themselves on opposite sides.

Like the first two books, I really loved this book. I personally loved that the final book was from both Lena and Hana’s perspectives. It gave things a very creative touch. It was pretty interesting to have a perspective from a cured’s point of view. It gave it an unexpected angle. I won’t go into details, but I really loved how there were many parts in the ending that were left open for interpretation. Most of the time, this isn’t done correctly, but it’s done correctly with this ending.

The only thing I didn’t like about this book was that it didn’t go into many details about what happened to Lena’s family. They are mentioned a few times, but never really fully discussed. I’d of liked to have seen that. I also wish they could have added a “years later” part. It would have been nice to see how things turned out. I still liked the trilogy regardless. It was very well written.

I fully recommend this book. I would recommend that the reader read the first two books first. The first book is called Delirium. The second book is called Pandemonium. Be prepared to fall in love with the characters. Especially some of the younger ones. I know I did! ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Nov 22, 2014 |
My original review when I wrote it for my blog was a 5/5 stars but after thinking about it for a long time I want to give it a 4 instead. I think that the main reason that I gave this the extra star was because it was the first ARC I ever received and I was just so happy with the ending I wasn't thinking so much about the book as a whole.

You can see my full (original) review here: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2013/01/spoiler-alert-requiem-of-deliri...
  bpress | Nov 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the way the book took turns with Lena and Hanna on each chapter. I felt a bit short changed on the end though. There were some unanswered questions about key characters that I would have liked to have found out more of. ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |
I've started dreaming of Portland again.

"While Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland."--

125 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,654,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible