Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (174)  Piratical (1)  All (175)
Cover: Cute
Rating: 4 Stars
Overall: A cute romance story
Characters: Fun and charming
Plot: When the boy who broke her heart moves back in the house next door, Lola must decide what she wants in life.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Favorite Character: Cricket
Source: I own

I loved Anna and the French Kiss, so I had to give this one a read. At first I wasn't sure what to think. It started out...chaotic. Not necessarily in a bad way, but first her boyfriend Max reminded me on my one and only ex...(still hard to type that) Then she has two dads, which I didn't mind, but with that introduced early on, I really wasn't sure what else the book was going to throw out there. It wasn't until the line: "'Hi' Cricket grinned." that I was fully hooked! As soon as Cricket is introduced I loved him and his odd, quirky ways! From that line on, I was crazy about this book and couldn't put it down! While I still like St. Clair and Anna a little more, I absolutely adored this couple! ( )
  Shadow494 | May 28, 2017 |
2.5/5 Stars

(Any mistakes I didn't catch, even after re-reading it, please don't hold it against me, I first typed this out on my Kindle so I could get my feelings out right then so I wouldn't forget. I wasn't sure when I would feel like sitting at the computer again and type this up)

I actually picked up this book for the first time in February of this year, got about 130 pages or so in and just couldn't finish it. If I had finished it, it may have only gotten a 2 stars. But, because of the ending, it went up a half a star...not much I know but it was just hard to get through..

What makes my rating different now and then?

Maybe it was more frustration with the book than anything I think, because I had been reading so many good books. But, over the past few months, I've been reading books that have been okay enough to finish, but nothing to rave about, and those books made it a little easier not to put this one down, even though I wanted to a few times, but right as I thought it, it would get funny and/or interesting.

Now, to the Characters/Story:

The story itself, for me personally, was just too drawn out in many places and could have been cut shorter in some areas. I found myself getting bored, A LOT.

As far as the characters go, I adored all of them, especially Cricket...Oh how I love Cricket! He is almost up there with Etienne!

Lola, I liked her for being so different, and usually not caring about what others think..and she begins to find herself throughout the book. I love her parents..all of them!

Max? One word....UGH!!! That's all he deserves! Lol

And of course, I love Anna & St Clare!!

Well, that was my long winded opinion! If you loved this book, good, but for me, it was just okay...I may get some hate comments, but just remember, we're all entitled to our personal opinions:-)

Thanks for reading this!

Happy Reading! ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
The title for this book is perfect since it really is about Lola and the boy next door. I want to say, I really enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss, but this was just boring to me. I still really enjoyed Stephanie Perkins writing and I plan to finish the series.

I really liked how this started off. You have a mystery of how Cricket hurt Lola and then it is revealed how and it is such a disappointment. You also have a weird love triangle which one character was barely present except to bring the triangle to life. Max never stood a chance, even though I actually liked his character at times. I think his portrayal changes and it did not make sense. It starts off where he would do anything to please Lola and her parents and then instantly he becomes a character the author wants you to hate.

I also did not love Cricket. I just could not connect with Lola or Cricket or their relationship. I was getting so bored with everything I had to skip ahead just to finish reading this.

I had a love/hate relationship when St. Claire and Anna were mentioned. I feel they were also different characters than what I grew to love in Anna and the French Kiss.

I will finish the next book, but I hope it is better than this one. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jan 5, 2017 |
4.5 so cute!! it's just too much, loved it. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
So sweet. It brought out my inner angsty teenage girl. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, JeanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Stephanie Perkins's book Lola and the Boy Next Door was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,474,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible