Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (170)  Piratical (1)  All languages (171)
Nearly a 4.5 Audiobook Fantastic Narration Wonderful characters Beautiful setting Nice tie in with past characters Great conflict Honest emotions
HEA What's not to love ? This one was set in one of my favorite cities San Francisco, with beautiful descriptions. The way it was written I could see myself there walking down the historical streets with Lola and Cricket. Lola was a complex, independent, loved girl with some normal issues in a bit of an unconventional way. LOL I know sounds complicated but it's really not. Her fathers are so wonderful I wanted them to adopt me, if just for the pie time. One of the fathers makes pies for a living, yum. So she has two fathers, two love interests, one working, one not, she is unique and lets that flag fly, ad smart and balanced and you have one fantastic character. Max, her now love is, loud, musical, artistic and well you'll find out. Cricket the not now but was the love, is shy, intelligent and slightly aloof. The side characters all ad something to the story, each plays their part well. I really enjoyed it, couldn't wait to hear more, and was sad when it ended. I wanted more. ( )
  TheYodamom | May 7, 2016 |
This book was not as immediate for me as Anna and the French Kiss. Where Anna was easy to relate to, I found Lola near insufferable at the start of this book. I'm irritated by people who choose to represent their personality via physical media, for example what they wear (another example is people who immediate go into a list of their interests/fandoms when you ask them about themselves - it's a similar thing) and a lot of Lola's decisions were so poor that her inner personality came off pretty badly. The book grew on me, mostly because I really like Cricket and began to sympathise with Lola's plight. She still appeared immature for sixteen, but this bothered me less as the story developed.

There's not much to the plot, which is essentially the same as AatFK except genderswapped - boy and girl meet (although in this case they have a little history) but one of them is otherwise involved, shenanigans ensue. I am not bothered generally by Lola's apparent emotional cheating on her boyfriend, largely because it's in keeping with her immaturity. And while I've seen a lot of people say that five years isn't a big gap, I can see why it would seem so at that age - I think age gaps can be significant where there is a significant difference in life "stage" - where one party is at school and the other at college/university or even beyond that, I think that can cause a fundamental difference in expectations and experience. However, the whole romantic plot felt a bit stretched out compared to AatFK, which was just a snick away from being stretched thin in itself. Perkins' writing is bang on, which helps to paper over this somewhat, but pretty much everything after she breaks up with the original boyfriend is unnecessary and makes this sweet book a little tiresome towards the end. One thing I thought the book got absolutely right was the portrayal of Lola's birth mother - that was easily the most touching part of the whole narrative.

I think if you liked Anna, you'll like this, but most likely not as much. I love Perkins' writing and she has the perfect voice for this kind of escapist romance - she's sweet but rarely veers too far into the cheese zone. I just hope that for Isla and the Happily Ever After she tries something a little different because I don't think this plot can stand a third airing. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |

[‎Wednesday, ‎February ‎29, ‎2012] First of all I loved the book but I loved Anna and the French Kiss more. It was amazing seeing Etienne and Anna again, though Paris as a setting is much more exciting then San Fransisco. I loved the fortune-telling scene and I like the Bell's twins names, they are unique. Lola is so gaga, but she's more romantic and sensitive under all the layers.

This book shocked me, because Cricket and Lola are so much like my guy and myself. Like when she says: "I'm not interested in making what's easy. I'm interested in making what's beautiful." That's so me!

"There's something about blue eyes. The kind that startles you every time they're lifted in your direction. The kind of blue that makes you ache for them to look at you again. Not blue green or blue gray, the blue that's just blue." That's so like my boyfriend. I always think that, how I love his piercing eyes.

Beside him being tall, with soft crazy hair and blue eyes, they are alike in the way they love. In the way they respect their girl and the passion they feel. Even the scene of him brushing her hair is there in our history. This book is a favorite too, now. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I've tried to write a review of Lola and the Boy Next Door at least four times now with absolutely no success. I liked it, I really did, I just can't quite figure out why.

Let's start with the plot: Lola lives in San Francisco with her two dads. She's a budding fashion designer who never wears the same outfit twice, loves wigs, and is a whiz with a sewing machine. She's dating Max, a super cool guy who plays in a band that's gaining popularity -- and is also several years older than her. She's really happy with her life until Cricket, the boy next door, moves back in and destroys everything.

Aside from the major plot points, Lola and the Boy Next Door is extremely similar to Anna and the French Kiss. The plot develops almost identically. Anna and St. Clair are even featured pretty heavily in this book -- much more than I would have expected.

I'm trying to come up with a list of things I liked in this book, and I'm drawing a blank. The only thing I can really think of is Cricket. He's a great character, and it's obvious from the beginning that he'd be a better choice for Lola. While Max is always pushing people away, Cricket draws them in. While Max acts like Lola embarrasses him (so, I wonder, why is he dating her?), Cricket is happy to be seen in public with her, happy to do whatever she's interested in. Max is uncomfortable with Lola's dads (parents in general, I think), but Cricket is almost part of the family, and he knows her deep, dark secrets, right down to who her mother is and all the issues that come with that.

And it's because of this that I really couldn't understand why Lola stayed with Max as long as she did. As the book continued, he became a progressively worse character -- blowing her off, treating her like a child, being downright mean -- and she still clung to him. Even when Lola realized that her feelings for Cricket were developing into more than just a silly childhood crush, she still insisted on trying to save her failing relationship with Max. He's not being himself, she thinks. He's uncomfortable spending time with my friends, she rationalizes. He'll be better when we're alone. And so she stays with him. And he's never better. He just gets worse. I didn't really understand that, and it's the same thing that bothered me about Anna and the French Kiss, in which St. Clair knows he'd rather be with Anna, but won't break up with Ellie. It seems to be a pattern in these books, and it's probably the only part that I really can't get into.

Lola was a bit of a drama queen, and I feel like a lot of her problems could have been solved if she just calmed down. Example: when she finds out that Cricket is moving back in next door, she literally drops a stack of plates and passes out. I thought Cricket was going to have, like, some crazy, dark, possibly murderous secret. But no, it's just Lola's childhood crush moving back in. No big deal, really, except that Lola is a drama queen. Another example: Lola has hated Cricket for two years because of a misunderstanding they had on his last day in town. If she had just spoken with him, she would have realized that. Instead, she passes out and drops a stack of plates at the mention of his name. Drama queen.

But aside from all of that, I did really like the book. It's cute, in the same way that Anna and the French Kiss is cute. If you liked that book, you'll most likely like Lola and the Boy Next Door as well.
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |

Crítica em http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2015/03/livro-lola-and-boy-next-door-de_30.html

Começo por dizer que este livro foi difícil de ler. Foi-me emprestado e eu tenho por norma ler o mais rápido possível livros que me foram emprestados porque pode sempre acontecer qualquer coisa e depois puff, adeus livro – e se há coisa que não gosto é que os meus livros façam puff, por isso não deixo que isso aconteça aos de outras pessoas. Demorei um mês a ler este livro – o que foi muito.

Para começar, devo dizer que li o livro anterior da série, Anna and the french kiss, e gostei muito. Se não me tivessem avisado que este novo livro era muito mais fraco e que havia personagens que não ia gostar, até podia culpar as minhas próprias expectativas mas não foi o caso.

A história de Lola não me cativou. Tão simples como isso. E porquê? Porque eu não gostei da Lola. É difícil gostar de um livro quando não se gosta da personagem principal. Era uma personagem que não se conseguia definir apesar do leitor conseguir ver bem quem ela era e isso tornou-a algo irritante, apesar de ter alguns toques interessantes.

Gostei do Cricket, a personagem masculina principal. Mas gostaria que me explicassem porque é que alguém no seu perfeito juízo iria chamar ao seu filho “cricket” (grilo). Não é alcunha, não é apelido, é nome próprio. Se alguém me conseguir explicar, por favor, diga. Ele é querido e amoroso, mesmo “o rapaz da porta ao lado”.

Gostei dos pais de Lola, Nathan e Andy. Pais compreensivos mas algo protectores, eram pessoas que não me importaria de conhecer e quem sabe provar uma das famosas tartes de Andy.

A melhor parte do livro foi mesmo rever a Anna e o St.Clair (as personagens principais de Anna and the french kiss). ( )
  Joana_v_v | Feb 9, 2016 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, JeanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,973,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible