Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (151)  Piratical (1)  All languages (152)
Lola Nolan is far from ordinary. She doesn't wear clothes, she wears costumes, bright yellow raincoats, lavender wigs, cheetah print dresses.

If Lola were given three wishes they would be simple, straight forward and to the point.

1. To attend her winter formal dressed as Marie Antoinette.
2. To have her parents approve of her boyfriend.
And 3. To never see the Bell twins again.

Too bad in the words of Augustus Waters "The world is not a wish granting factory."

When Cricket and his family move back into the house next door to Lola her life slowly starts spinning out of control. Throw in her unstable mother, slightly overprotective dads and her jealous older boyfriend and you've got trouble.

Suddenly it seems like the only thing Lola can control is her wardrobe.

I. Loved. This. Book.

Not only is Lola now one of my all time favorite characters but it also had Anna and Etienne from The French Kiss in it.

I loved the dynamic between Lola and her parents as well as the one between her and Cricket. Obviously I wasn't too keen on Calliope but really who was? And yes in the end she did grow on me the tiniest bit.

I devoured this book.

Stephanie Perkins has this magical way of writing a story this grabs you and refuses to let go. She breathes life into characters and places and even once you finish the book you can still picture it clearly in your mind as if you were a first hand witness to the event that took place.

Even now, two weeks after reading Lola I can still see her outfits and her room in its organized chaos. I see the view from her window, illuminated by the moon and I can smell the hypnotic scent of Apple Pie wafting from the kitchen.

I dare you to pick up this book and not fall in love with the characters inside it and the author who created them.

Until next time,
Ginger ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Oct 26, 2014 |
This book was not as immediate for me as Anna and the French Kiss. Where Anna was easy to relate to, I found Lola near insufferable at the start of this book. I'm irritated by people who choose to represent their personality via physical media, for example what they wear (another example is people who immediate go into a list of their interests/fandoms when you ask them about themselves - it's a similar thing) and a lot of Lola's decisions were so poor that her inner personality came off pretty badly. The book grew on me, mostly because I really like Cricket and began to sympathise with Lola's plight. She still appeared immature for sixteen, but this bothered me less as the story developed.

There's not much to the plot, which is essentially the same as AatFK except genderswapped - boy and girl meet (although in this case they have a little history) but one of them is otherwise involved, shenanigans ensue. I am not bothered generally by Lola's apparent emotional cheating on her boyfriend, largely because it's in keeping with her immaturity. And while I've seen a lot of people say that five years isn't a big gap, I can see why it would seem so at that age - I think age gaps can be significant where there is a significant difference in life "stage" - where one party is at school and the other at college/university or even beyond that, I think that can cause a fundamental difference in expectations and experience. However, the whole romantic plot felt a bit stretched out compared to AatFK, which was just a snick away from being stretched thin in itself. Perkins' writing is bang on, which helps to paper over this somewhat, but pretty much everything after she breaks up with the original boyfriend is unnecessary and makes this sweet book a little tiresome towards the end. One thing I thought the book got absolutely right was the portrayal of Lola's birth mother - that was easily the most touching part of the whole narrative.

I think if you liked Anna, you'll like this, but most likely not as much. I love Perkins' writing and she has the perfect voice for this kind of escapist romance - she's sweet but rarely veers too far into the cheese zone. I just hope that for Isla and the Happily Ever After she tries something a little different because I don't think this plot can stand a third airing. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
I'll skip the synopsis and go straight to my thoughts.

First off, I loved that Lola has two dads and neither of them fall into a stereotype. They are two unique individuals with their own personalities, and she calls both of them "dad." I love it! I wish that more young adult books featured diverse families like this.

And what was pretty much the only thing that I loved about the book. Ha.

I found Lola to be an okay character, but I just couldn't like her. Granted, I know that she's only seventeen, but she seemed so immature for most of the book, although she did start to finally grow a little bit in the end (not enough, though). She pretty much gets her way when it comes to everything, from dating a twenty-two-year-old musician (that never would have flown in my house growing up) to wearing pretty much whatever she wants. And granted, when I was a teenager I wore some interesting choices at times, but Lola takes it to the extreme and beyond. I just can't see her as being very relatable to, well, anyone.

And Cricket. CRICKET. I just couldn't get over that name. It's not a nickname; that is what is on his birth certificate. So he's either named after an insect or a sport. His other two siblings have relatively normal names, so I don't understand it. I guess it was just to make him quirky. Whatever. Anyway, he's an inventor and a geek, which I liked. But he was just too good and too understanding when it came to Lola. I kind of found myself wishing that he'd find some nice girl who wouldn't string him along while she's dating someone else. Just saying.

For most of the book, Lola is dating Max, the aforementioned musician. Her parents don't approve of him, but they let her see him anyway, even though he's almost six years older than her (they met when she was 16). So, even though everyone knows that Lola is going to end up with Cricket, for two-thirds of the book she is dating Max and then, later, dealing with the drama of a break-up with Max. I found out to be rather boring. It isn't even a love triangle; everyone KNOWS what is going to eventually happen. And then, of course, it does.

Lola attempts to come across as awesome and uncaring about what others think and being wildly independent, but most of that turns out to be an act. When Max insults Lindsay, Lola's best friend, Lola doesn't stand up to him and tell him that he's being rude. Nope. Instead, Lola runs after Max, leaving Lindsay at the festival (granted, Lindsay said it was okay, but still). And she doesn't stand up to Max's jealousy when it comes to Lola hanging out with Cricket, either. And when the pair finally breaks up, Lola goes through a phase where she would be anyone and anything that Max wanted, just so they could be together. Gag.

Cricket, on the other hand, is a good friend. Too good of a friend, really. He puts up with Lola's crap, when any sane person would be walking in the other direction as quickly as possible.

And the random appearances of Anna and Etienne felt forced and unlike them. They've morphed into this perfect couple who are completely bland and characterless now. Basically, they are one person. Like when Anna asks Lola what's going on and Lola asks if Anna is going to tell everything to Etienne, Anna unapologetically tells her that yes, she will be telling everything Lola says to Etienne. Because apparently Anna is no longer her own person and is half of Etianna, and they have mind melded. Some friend Anna is.

Basically, I found this book to be a gender-reversed version of Anna and the French Kiss, where this time the girl is the "dating someone else but wanting the other person" and the guy is the "friend who wants to be more."

I did end up rating the book three starts, because Perkins has an engaging writing style and she does humor well. I found myself laughing out loud several times. I just wish that she wrote characters that I could enjoy more. ( )
  schatzi | Aug 23, 2014 |
Just not liking this one at all. Lola sadly did not grab my attention the way Anna did. I made it to 100 pages but have no real interest in continuing. So DNFing and moving on. Hopefully Isla will be better. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Adorable love story.

I would like to have a boyfriend like Cricket so please deliver him to me. NOW.

Stephanie Perkins is now one of my favorite authors! :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, JeanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

154 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,036,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible