Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (149)  Piratical (1)  All languages (150)
I'll skip the synopsis and go straight to my thoughts.

First off, I loved that Lola has two dads and neither of them fall into a stereotype. They are two unique individuals with their own personalities, and she calls both of them "dad." I love it! I wish that more young adult books featured diverse families like this.

And what was pretty much the only thing that I loved about the book. Ha.

I found Lola to be an okay character, but I just couldn't like her. Granted, I know that she's only seventeen, but she seemed so immature for most of the book, although she did start to finally grow a little bit in the end (not enough, though). She pretty much gets her way when it comes to everything, from dating a twenty-two-year-old musician (that never would have flown in my house growing up) to wearing pretty much whatever she wants. And granted, when I was a teenager I wore some interesting choices at times, but Lola takes it to the extreme and beyond. I just can't see her as being very relatable to, well, anyone.

And Cricket. CRICKET. I just couldn't get over that name. It's not a nickname; that is what is on his birth certificate. So he's either named after an insect or a sport. His other two siblings have relatively normal names, so I don't understand it. I guess it was just to make him quirky. Whatever. Anyway, he's an inventor and a geek, which I liked. But he was just too good and too understanding when it came to Lola. I kind of found myself wishing that he'd find some nice girl who wouldn't string him along while she's dating someone else. Just saying.

For most of the book, Lola is dating Max, the aforementioned musician. Her parents don't approve of him, but they let her see him anyway, even though he's almost six years older than her (they met when she was 16). So, even though everyone knows that Lola is going to end up with Cricket, for two-thirds of the book she is dating Max and then, later, dealing with the drama of a break-up with Max. I found out to be rather boring. It isn't even a love triangle; everyone KNOWS what is going to eventually happen. And then, of course, it does.

Lola attempts to come across as awesome and uncaring about what others think and being wildly independent, but most of that turns out to be an act. When Max insults Lindsay, Lola's best friend, Lola doesn't stand up to him and tell him that he's being rude. Nope. Instead, Lola runs after Max, leaving Lindsay at the festival (granted, Lindsay said it was okay, but still). And she doesn't stand up to Max's jealousy when it comes to Lola hanging out with Cricket, either. And when the pair finally breaks up, Lola goes through a phase where she would be anyone and anything that Max wanted, just so they could be together. Gag.

Cricket, on the other hand, is a good friend. Too good of a friend, really. He puts up with Lola's crap, when any sane person would be walking in the other direction as quickly as possible.

And the random appearances of Anna and Etienne felt forced and unlike them. They've morphed into this perfect couple who are completely bland and characterless now. Basically, they are one person. Like when Anna asks Lola what's going on and Lola asks if Anna is going to tell everything to Etienne, Anna unapologetically tells her that yes, she will be telling everything Lola says to Etienne. Because apparently Anna is no longer her own person and is half of Etianna, and they have mind melded. Some friend Anna is.

Basically, I found this book to be a gender-reversed version of Anna and the French Kiss, where this time the girl is the "dating someone else but wanting the other person" and the guy is the "friend who wants to be more."

I did end up rating the book three starts, because Perkins has an engaging writing style and she does humor well. I found myself laughing out loud several times. I just wish that she wrote characters that I could enjoy more. ( )
  schatzi | Aug 23, 2014 |
Just not liking this one at all. Lola sadly did not grab my attention the way Anna did. I made it to 100 pages but have no real interest in continuing. So DNFing and moving on. Hopefully Isla will be better. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Adorable love story.

I would like to have a boyfriend like Cricket so please deliver him to me. NOW.

Stephanie Perkins is now one of my favorite authors! :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Adorable love story.

I would like to have a boyfriend like Cricket so please deliver him to me. NOW.

Stephanie Perkins is now one of my favorite authors! :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
I finally had a chance to read this book and WHY? Why did I wait solo long to read this book?

Plot: I can’t even explain how much I adored this book. I love the pace of the story, loved the history on the characters and just loved the overall feel of where it was taking me. It only took me a few chapters to fall in love with the story.

Love/Friendship: This part makes me giddy. I adore friendships that have history but also have a connection. At times, Cricket really upset me. Instead of the girl doing the whiplash of emotions it was the guy. I understood other stuff came up, but for me, if you want something you go for it. Lola herself is one character that is bright. She has this character that you just want to dive in and be next to. If she were a real person, I love to be friends for her.

Ending: The ending is perfect! So utterly perfect that I did not want to close the book. I loved every single minute of it.

Go read this book now. It carries a deep emotional plot about life and love. Lola and The Boy Next Door is awesome! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jul 14, 2014 |
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

154 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,364,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible