Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (170)  Piratical (1)  All languages (171)
So, I am IN LOVE with Anna and the French Kiss, and I think Isla and the Happily Ever After is great, and if I would have realized that Lola should really come second, I would have expressed my appreciation for it sooner.
Anna and the French Kiss is one of my absolute favorite books, so therefore, I clearly had to read the other two books in the series. So, so glad I did. I'll start off with my nit-picky things, to save the good parts for last. That's the way I roll.
I don't think there was enough romance, especially with Cricket. I know Lola had a boyfriend and all, but I feel like there could have been more. Anna and Etienne still managed to have quite the spark even though he was in a relationship. I just felt like there was significantly more romance with Anna and Isla.
I love that Anna and Etienne are in this, but it makes me just slightly sad, too, because it's not enough of a fix, you know? I'll just have to keep rereading their book over and over, I guess. Shame. ;)
I loved Max and his slightly-bad-boy rocker persona, even though we're obviously not supposed to get attached to him. I loved the story of how they met, and all the little things about Max. As well as the things about Cricket, of course, but I liked the addition of Max. I loved the description of his ghost sitting between them on the bus. That was wonderful.
I loved Cricket and Lola, and how especially how sweet Cricket was. Their discovery of their self worth is also great. I feel like it will help readers who struggle with that, too.
Overall, this is another great read from Stephanie Perkins. And if you haven't read Anna and Isla, you need to do that like yesterday. ( )
  jewelsk96 | Jun 28, 2016 |
Nearly a 4.5 Audiobook Fantastic Narration Wonderful characters Beautiful setting Nice tie in with past characters Great conflict Honest emotions
HEA What's not to love ? This one was set in one of my favorite cities San Francisco, with beautiful descriptions. The way it was written I could see myself there walking down the historical streets with Lola and Cricket. Lola was a complex, independent, loved girl with some normal issues in a bit of an unconventional way. LOL I know sounds complicated but it's really not. Her fathers are so wonderful I wanted them to adopt me, if just for the pie time. One of the fathers makes pies for a living, yum. So she has two fathers, two love interests, one working, one not, she is unique and lets that flag fly, ad smart and balanced and you have one fantastic character. Max, her now love is, loud, musical, artistic and well you'll find out. Cricket the not now but was the love, is shy, intelligent and slightly aloof. The side characters all ad something to the story, each plays their part well. I really enjoyed it, couldn't wait to hear more, and was sad when it ended. I wanted more. ( )
  TheYodamom | May 7, 2016 |

[‎Wednesday, ‎February ‎29, ‎2012] First of all I loved the book but I loved Anna and the French Kiss more. It was amazing seeing Etienne and Anna again, though Paris as a setting is much more exciting then San Fransisco. I loved the fortune-telling scene and I like the Bell's twins names, they are unique. Lola is so gaga, but she's more romantic and sensitive under all the layers.

This book shocked me, because Cricket and Lola are so much like my guy and myself. Like when she says: "I'm not interested in making what's easy. I'm interested in making what's beautiful." That's so me!

"There's something about blue eyes. The kind that startles you every time they're lifted in your direction. The kind of blue that makes you ache for them to look at you again. Not blue green or blue gray, the blue that's just blue." That's so like my boyfriend. I always think that, how I love his piercing eyes.

Beside him being tall, with soft crazy hair and blue eyes, they are alike in the way they love. In the way they respect their girl and the passion they feel. Even the scene of him brushing her hair is there in our history. This book is a favorite too, now. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I've tried to write a review of Lola and the Boy Next Door at least four times now with absolutely no success. I liked it, I really did, I just can't quite figure out why.

Let's start with the plot: Lola lives in San Francisco with her two dads. She's a budding fashion designer who never wears the same outfit twice, loves wigs, and is a whiz with a sewing machine. She's dating Max, a super cool guy who plays in a band that's gaining popularity -- and is also several years older than her. She's really happy with her life until Cricket, the boy next door, moves back in and destroys everything.

Aside from the major plot points, Lola and the Boy Next Door is extremely similar to Anna and the French Kiss. The plot develops almost identically. Anna and St. Clair are even featured pretty heavily in this book -- much more than I would have expected.

I'm trying to come up with a list of things I liked in this book, and I'm drawing a blank. The only thing I can really think of is Cricket. He's a great character, and it's obvious from the beginning that he'd be a better choice for Lola. While Max is always pushing people away, Cricket draws them in. While Max acts like Lola embarrasses him (so, I wonder, why is he dating her?), Cricket is happy to be seen in public with her, happy to do whatever she's interested in. Max is uncomfortable with Lola's dads (parents in general, I think), but Cricket is almost part of the family, and he knows her deep, dark secrets, right down to who her mother is and all the issues that come with that.

And it's because of this that I really couldn't understand why Lola stayed with Max as long as she did. As the book continued, he became a progressively worse character -- blowing her off, treating her like a child, being downright mean -- and she still clung to him. Even when Lola realized that her feelings for Cricket were developing into more than just a silly childhood crush, she still insisted on trying to save her failing relationship with Max. He's not being himself, she thinks. He's uncomfortable spending time with my friends, she rationalizes. He'll be better when we're alone. And so she stays with him. And he's never better. He just gets worse. I didn't really understand that, and it's the same thing that bothered me about Anna and the French Kiss, in which St. Clair knows he'd rather be with Anna, but won't break up with Ellie. It seems to be a pattern in these books, and it's probably the only part that I really can't get into.

Lola was a bit of a drama queen, and I feel like a lot of her problems could have been solved if she just calmed down. Example: when she finds out that Cricket is moving back in next door, she literally drops a stack of plates and passes out. I thought Cricket was going to have, like, some crazy, dark, possibly murderous secret. But no, it's just Lola's childhood crush moving back in. No big deal, really, except that Lola is a drama queen. Another example: Lola has hated Cricket for two years because of a misunderstanding they had on his last day in town. If she had just spoken with him, she would have realized that. Instead, she passes out and drops a stack of plates at the mention of his name. Drama queen.

But aside from all of that, I did really like the book. It's cute, in the same way that Anna and the French Kiss is cute. If you liked that book, you'll most likely like Lola and the Boy Next Door as well.
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |

Crítica em http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2015/03/livro-lola-and-boy-next-door-de_30.html

Começo por dizer que este livro foi difícil de ler. Foi-me emprestado e eu tenho por norma ler o mais rápido possível livros que me foram emprestados porque pode sempre acontecer qualquer coisa e depois puff, adeus livro – e se há coisa que não gosto é que os meus livros façam puff, por isso não deixo que isso aconteça aos de outras pessoas. Demorei um mês a ler este livro – o que foi muito.

Para começar, devo dizer que li o livro anterior da série, Anna and the french kiss, e gostei muito. Se não me tivessem avisado que este novo livro era muito mais fraco e que havia personagens que não ia gostar, até podia culpar as minhas próprias expectativas mas não foi o caso.

A história de Lola não me cativou. Tão simples como isso. E porquê? Porque eu não gostei da Lola. É difícil gostar de um livro quando não se gosta da personagem principal. Era uma personagem que não se conseguia definir apesar do leitor conseguir ver bem quem ela era e isso tornou-a algo irritante, apesar de ter alguns toques interessantes.

Gostei do Cricket, a personagem masculina principal. Mas gostaria que me explicassem porque é que alguém no seu perfeito juízo iria chamar ao seu filho “cricket” (grilo). Não é alcunha, não é apelido, é nome próprio. Se alguém me conseguir explicar, por favor, diga. Ele é querido e amoroso, mesmo “o rapaz da porta ao lado”.

Gostei dos pais de Lola, Nathan e Andy. Pais compreensivos mas algo protectores, eram pessoas que não me importaria de conhecer e quem sabe provar uma das famosas tartes de Andy.

A melhor parte do livro foi mesmo rever a Anna e o St.Clair (as personagens principais de Anna and the french kiss). ( )
  Joana_v_v | Feb 9, 2016 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, JeanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,179,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible