Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (164)  Piratical (1)  All languages (165)
Originally seen on Emily Reads Everything

Just wow.

I thought I hated Anna and the French Kiss until I wrote a review and realized that I had a lot to say about it. I actually liked it quite a bit, despite all my frustrations with it. After I finished my review, I knew I had to read the next one in the series. I had a completely different experience with Lola and the Boy Next Door. This book, I loved it right from the beginning. I inhaled this book and never wanted it to end.

If I didn't like Anna because she was too much like me. I loved Lola because she's everything I'm not. Lola is bold, colorful and expressive. She never wants to wear the same thing twice. She loves to dress up in costumes to perform on the theatre that is her life. Lola has 2 dads, an amazing best friend and a hot older boyfriend who's in a band. That being said, I never liked Max. He was never good enough for Lola.

Cricket was perfect too, despite his name. He was so nerdy and sweet. I loved how he knew exactly what he wanted the whole time and he wasn't afraid to say it. He has a lot going on in his life. I didn't think I would be able to love him more, and then I found out about his life with his sister Calliope. That made the whole story even sweeter.

Cricket knows who he is and what he wants throughout the novel. Lola starts the novel thinking that her life is perfect. However, as things change she realizes that maybe she wants something entirely different. I love how Lola grows into her personality over the course of the book. The most important thing she learns is that she has to love herself first. Definitely a fantastic message and something that I'm still working on.

If you like sweet romances, you will love this one! ( )
  emren | Oct 5, 2015 |
Nope. Not really liking it. I'm so sorry guys... :( Yes, it's funny and entertaining but nope. I actually expected too much from this book because I really love Anna and the French Kiss, but Lola... I don't know if it's me or anything but I couldn't connect with Lola's character.

I get it that she wants to be different that's why she chooses to wear out-of-the-ordinary costumes but I think it kind of disturbs me. I also don't like the way she acts immature most of the time. And there's this self-centered attitude of hers that did not also sit well on me. Also, I hate the way she overreacts to anything. And she cries a lot, too, which annoys me.

Cricket-- this guy is a promising character, yet I didn't find myself swooning over him. The good thing about him is that he's too good and perfect-- way too good for Lola to the point that I pity him most of the time because he's always there for her, chasing after her, and almost crying his feelings out loud for her, but Lola continues to get confused even if her boyfie is clearly a bad influence.

I know most of you really love Lola and the Boy Next Door, but for me, it's kind of overrated, I guess. There are things that are cliché and unrealistic. The plot is also predictable and I think there aren't any interesting scenes that made me totally swoon-- which are the things that I'm really expecting in a contemporary book. But as a whole, it's an entertaining read. Not as good as Anna and the french Kiss, though.

My Rating for this book: 2 Stars

Book review also posted on my blog: http://bibliopearl.wordpress.com/2014... ( )
  IAMPEARL | Aug 27, 2015 |
AHHH!!!!!!!!! I forgot how cute these books are oh my God!!! "The boy that gave me the moon and stars." How cute was this book I am so in awe at how adorable this is. Stephanie writes books that make you want to dance and sing and fall in love in foreign countries and just go out and live and it's a beautiful feeling. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
Stephanie I want moooore! Lola is so peculiar and people don't get why she's like that but she's a treasure, a very beautiful treasure!
Once more Perkins is able to play with social diferences and amaze everyone with her writing. ( )
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, JeanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,785,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible