Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

638None15,202 (4.12)26
Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (135)  Piratical (1)  All languages (136)
Lola Nolan's life is going amazingly well right now. She has a blast dressing up in outrageous costumes every day. She has two loving, awesome dads. She has a super hot older boyfriend in a rock band. But then one day she sees it - a moving van at the house next door. She realizes they must be back - self-centered and cruel professional ice skater Calliope Bell and her twin brother Cricket, the boy who pulverized Lola's heart two years ago and then moved away. Things are about to get complicated.

Aaaaaaaaghhhhhhghghgh. Is how I feel every time I finish a Stephanie Perkins book. Yes, there are some flaws in there somewhere but I don't caaaaaaaaaare. I just want to squee. Cricket is freaking adorable. Lola is believable and relatable and her voice isn't too immature. The only real non-squee thoughts I have are that there were a bit more spoilers for Anna and the French Kiss than I was expecting, so definitely read that one first. ( )
  norabelle414 | Mar 12, 2014 |
Stephanie Perkins' laptop must be made out of fairy dust, as her characters seem to magically leap from the page. The aching longing between Lola and Cricket was palpable and watching them work through their obstacles to find each other made for a really enjoyable read. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |

(Any mistakes I didn't catch, even after re-reading it, please don't hold it against me, I first typed this out on my Kindle so I could get my feelings out right then so I wouldn't forget. I wasn't sure when I would feel like sitting at the computer again and type this up)

I actually picked up this book for the first time in February of this year, got about 130 pages or so in and just couldn't finish it. If I had finished it, it may have only gotten a 2-2.5 stars. But, because I did wait to finish it, and because of the last few chapters , it increased to 3.5 stars...Of course I had to put 4 stars on G.R. because that's the only way I could put it.

What makes my rating different now and then?

Maybe it was more frustration with the book than anything I think, because I had been reading so many good books. But, over the past few months, I've been reading books that have been okay enough to finish, but nothing to rave about, and those books made it a little easier not to put this one down, even though I wanted to a few times, but right as I thought it, it would get funny and/or interesting.

Now, to the Characters/Story:

The story itself, for me personally, was just too drawn out in many places and could have been cut shorter in some areas. I found myself getting bored, A LOT.

As far as the characters go, I adored all of them, especially Cricket...Oh how I love Cricket! He is almost up there with Etienne!

Lola, I liked her for being so different, and usually not caring about what others think..and she begins to find herself throughout the book. I love her parents..all of them!

Max? One word....UGH!!! That's all he deserves! Lol

And of course, I love Anna & St Clare!!

Well, that was my long winded opinion! If you loved this book, good, but for me, it was just okay...I may get some hate comments, but just remember, we're all entitled to our personal opinions:-)

Thanks for reading this!

Happy Reading! ( )
  BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Anna and the French Kiss is one of my favorite recent contemporary reads so I was eagerly anticipating the companion book’s release. Happily, Stephanie Perkins pulled off a great follow up to Anna. Even with a new cast of cast of characters, the feel of the story is just as charming and captivating and left me completely satisfied.

Lola is a quirky and flawed yet endearing main character. She’s confident and outgoing and likes to have fun with her clothing choices and dress up in wigs and her own fashion creations. She’s 17 and lives in a San Francisco Victorian with her two dads, and has a part time job and a loyal best friend. Her love life is heating up with her rocker boyfriend Max, and things are going pretty well until her old crush Cricket Bell moves back next door and then things start to get complicated.

Part of the book’s charm is due to the unconventional characters. The main character Lola isn’t perfect, and her decisions can be rash and infuriating at times, but I liked that she seemed authentic. The supporting characters are fully detailed and help to enrich the story. I loved Lola’s family especially. Her two dads are a great support system for her, and it’s great to see her interactions with her involved parents, which is something we don’t see too often in YA. As a bonus, it is fun to see some familiar characters from Anna turn up in this book and interesting to see how outsiders view them. The funny thing is that I thought I would miss Anna and St. Clair from the previous book, but as I became involved with this story, I was less interested in their lives and more taken with the current cast. You get the best of both worlds with the overlap of characters past and present.

The story is set in the Bay Area and all the details written into the story lend an air of authenticity that as a former San Franciscan I enjoyed a lot. It’s not Paris, but San Francisco has its charms as well. This setting is more grounded and relatable in a way.

Stephanie Perkins again impressed me with the way she writes slow building romance, with the longing looks and sexual tension that leaps off the page. This author is great at capturing the small moments in a relationship and the feel of first love. As the boy next-door, Cricket is smart, sweet and tall, and fashion forward in his own right. Mainly he’s a nice, normal guy, which can be a rarity in itself in YA books. The author takes advantage of his close proximity next door by creating cute, special opportunities for them to interact. These characters will make you melt. Fans of the first book should fall in love with this couple just as much as Anna and St. Clair.

I wager you will enjoy this book if you like YA contemporary romance, the book Anna and the French Kiss, and books with quirky characters. It’s hard to perfectly capture the magic formula that is the first book, but I found Lola and the Boy Next Door a treat to read all the same. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
The best boy next door ever. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

154 wanted1 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible