Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (145)  Piratical (1)  All languages (146)
I finally had a chance to read this book and WHY? Why did I wait solo long to read this book?

Plot: I can’t even explain how much I adored this book. I love the pace of the story, loved the history on the characters and just loved the overall feel of where it was taking me. It only took me a few chapters to fall in love with the story.

Love/Friendship: This part makes me giddy. I adore friendships that have history but also have a connection. At times, Cricket really upset me. Instead of the girl doing the whiplash of emotions it was the guy. I understood other stuff came up, but for me, if you want something you go for it. Lola herself is one character that is bright. She has this character that you just want to dive in and be next to. If she were a real person, I love to be friends for her.

Ending: The ending is perfect! So utterly perfect that I did not want to close the book. I loved every single minute of it.

Go read this book now. It carries a deep emotional plot about life and love. Lola and The Boy Next Door is awesome! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jul 14, 2014 |

(Any mistakes I didn't catch, even after re-reading it, please don't hold it against me, I first typed this out on my Kindle so I could get my feelings out right then so I wouldn't forget. I wasn't sure when I would feel like sitting at the computer again and type this up)

I actually picked up this book for the first time in February of this year, got about 130 pages or so in and just couldn't finish it. If I had finished it, it may have only gotten a 2 stars. But, because I did wait to finish it, and because of the last few chapters , it increased to 3 stars...

What makes my rating different now and then?

Maybe it was more frustration with the book than anything I think, because I had been reading so many good books. But, over the past few months, I've been reading books that have been okay enough to finish, but nothing to rave about, and those books made it a little easier not to put this one down, even though I wanted to a few times, but right as I thought it, it would get funny and/or interesting.

Now, to the Characters/Story:

The story itself, for me personally, was just too drawn out in many places and could have been cut shorter in some areas. I found myself getting bored, A LOT.

As far as the characters go, I adored all of them, especially Cricket...Oh how I love Cricket! He is almost up there with Etienne!

Lola, I liked her for being so different, and usually not caring about what others think..and she begins to find herself throughout the book. I love her parents..all of them!

Max? One word....UGH!!! That's all he deserves! Lol

And of course, I love Anna & St Clare!!

Well, that was my long winded opinion! If you loved this book, good, but for me, it was just okay...I may get some hate comments, but just remember, we're all entitled to our personal opinions:-)

Thanks for reading this!

Happy Reading! ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is one novel that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Flamboyant dresser (and aspiring costume designer) Lola Nolan has two great parents, a super-sleuth best friend, and a sexy-rock-god-olda-boy for a boyfriend. Life is generally peachy, some tension between her parents and her tattooed Romeo notwithstanding, until the Bell twins return from parts unknown to reclaim the house next door. Lola has a tangled past with Calliope and Cricket Bell, and she's none too pleased to see them back in her 'hood. Our heroine spends the rest of the book making fabulous fashions and tremendous messes of all her relationships, but we all know she'll end up with the right guy in the end. She just doesn't know if that guy is Cricket or Max.

Stephanie Perkins wrote another book that has been crazy popular with the bloggers of late (Anna and the French Kiss) which I have not read for kind of a dumb reason. The book is set in Paris, but Perkins has never been there. I, on the other hand, spent some time studying in France in college. The absurdly romantic, rose-tinted and butter-scented portrait most people who have yet to visit Paris paint of the city really gets on my nerves. There is an entire syndrome, The Paris Syndrome, named for the crushing disappointment tourists feel on arriving in Paris to discover it is a dirty, crowded city just like L.A. or New York or Tokyo with all the attendant headaches and problems (and few free public bathrooms, even in stores). Interestingly, this syndrome is most often experienced by Japanese tourists. So I have avoided Perkins' other novel due to this pet peeve, and I didn't immediately connect her with Lola and the Boy Next Door.

How is this relevant? My brain clicked into action, connecting the two books, as I was reading the rather Disney-fied version of San Francisco (and Berkeley) in this novel. This author has terrible luck with me, I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. She at least attended college in S.F., and refrained from calling it "Frisco", so many of the descriptions were accurate if a bit sanitized. So, there's that.

The thing is, I like Disney. It's cute. This book is also really cute. Lola didn't quite click with me at first but "the boy", Cricket Bell, was designed for me to love. Cricket is a socially awkward inventor who has sacrificed many of the rites of youth in order to support his Olympic-hopeful sister Calliope and her figure-skating career. A mechanical engineering student at UC Berkeley, most of his interaction with Lola is confined to weekends. Lola has great, supportive, protective parents but some unusual origins that lead her into a bit of an identity crisis. When she finally won me over, about two-thirds of the way through, she reminded me of two literary gals: Dimple Lala with her identity issues, and Carmen with her ardent spirit. Lola feels things deeply, and Lola loves hard. It's easy to see what draws her to rock-god Max, and it's equally easy to see why he's a pretty crappy choice of boyfriend for Lola.

Which leads me to what I really loved about Lola and the Boy Next Door: Cricket Bell is not perfect, but he is perfect for Lola Nolan. Anna and Etienne St. Clair, whom I gather are the couple formed in Anna and the French Kiss, play a role in Lola's story. They are similarly imperfect people who are perfect for each other. A lot of YA romance sets up a sort of universally perfect boy who just happens to fall for the heroine, and of course she loves him already because he is perfect and everyone else wants him. That is so grating. Lola starts off with this "get the guy everyone wants" mentality, but as she grows as a person (resolving her issues, figuring what matters to her) she begins to recognize the specific things she wants to find in a relationship for her own particular happiness. Part of this is accomplished through her observation of Anna and Etienne's relationship, a clever way for the author to develop Lola while giving fans of Anna and the French Kiss a mini-sequel.

Bonus: Stephanie Perkins is really, really good at writing the kissing bits. There are Max/Lola kisses and Cricket/Lola kisses in this book, and just like in real life each pairing has a different feel when they are alone together. Perkins does an outstanding job of capturing the high vibration of anticipation that characterizes young love (and lust), when parents so often get in the way.

All in all, this book was adorable. The descriptions of Lola's costumes were great fun (though sometimes Perkins went overboard describing settings). The romance is perfectly paced, and there's plenty of meaty subplots to keep the novel from becoming a flighty teen bodice-ripper. Cricket is terribly lovable, and we see Lola's lovableness through his eyes even though she can be absolutely awful at times (like any teenage girl). I'd recommend it to anyone, and I will probably buy a copy for my niece.

If anyone is curious, I do plan on reading Anna and the French Kiss now. Fictionalized Paris or not, I have every confidence that Perkins will win me over once more. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I don't know what to say. Seriously, I just finished Lola and the Boy Next Door, and yet I'm rendered speechless! I just can't praise this author enough.
If you aren't reading Stephanie Perkins, well...you're literally missing out.
I feel kinda torn between which of her novels is better, but Lola shines shines shines, people. The characters, the funky way the main character dresses, the quirky and adorable boy-next-door. The rocker boyfriend, the English boy and the American girl. Gurr! I love them all!
If I had to choose one word to describe Lola, it'd be fabulous. The novel is just beautiful. I swear I want marry this book.
Lola is such a different character (literally, everyday she's a new one!) that you can't help but fall in love with her. She's funny, she's so relatable, she's the most original character I've been introduced to this year. I love her outfits and how they remind me of the greatest actresses in the world. I love how she can wear a blue or a green wig and rock it like no one's business.
Cricket, the boy next door is so freakin' cute and awesome I can't explain it. Seriously, he's so adorable I love him more than ANY other male in a novel. He's better than the badass boys any day. I want a Cricket! And though I liked Lola's boyfriend, Max, for a little while (of course he gets the sympathy card since his GF is all off falling for another boy) I ended up seeing him for who he was all along. Boo, you suck Max! (And whooooo! you rock Cricket!)
Read this. Because it's awesome and I like telling fellow book-nerds what to do.
Okay, I'm starting to sound annoying with all my praise, I shall reel myself in for the sake of my sanity.
I can't wait to read more Perkins, and I've no doubt she'll manage to top herself...AGAIN! ( )
  cicibear26 | Jun 28, 2014 |

This is the best book ever! I loved it so much! This book was so amazing! Stephanie Perkins has so much talent! Cricket was to die for! I loved how the plot was different and loved that Lola stood out from most girls her age. I also loved how the author included Anna and St. Claire. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

154 wanted2 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible