Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (156)  Piratical (1)  All languages (157)
After reading Anna and the French Kiss .. I couldn't get enough of Stephanie Perkins so luckily I already had Lola and the Boy Next Door on my bookshelf waiting on me!

I loved it! I loved Lola and her extreme costumes! I think I absolutely fell for Cricket!! He's definitely my kind of guy! Swoonworthy and nerdy all in one! Can't get any better than that!!

Blurb:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion... she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit – the more sparkly, more wild – the better. And life is pretty close to perfect for Lola, especially with her hot rocker boyfriend.

That is, until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket return to the neighbourhood and unearth a past of hurt that Lola thought was long buried. So when talented inventor Cricket steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally face up to a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. Could the boy from Lola's past be the love of her future?

The only thing I didn't like about this book was.. I don't understand the name Cricket lol
I think Lola & the Boy Next Door isnt just about romance its about her friendship with Cricket as well. I loved the fact that he was an inventor..it made him more real I think.

I hated Max from the beginning lol so I was excited when Cricket came back into her life. I just loved the two of them together!!

I love Stephanie Perkins's writing! Its wonderful!!

Now! I need to read about Isla & Josh!! ( )
  Jessica8587 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Dear Stephanie Perkins,
Thank you for including Anna and Etienne in this story without drowning out Lola's story. Thank you for adding them to the story but also making us know at all times that this is Lola's stories and not an extension of Anna's. You wrote San Francisco as wonderfully as you wrote Paris and sure, there isn't a beautiful Eiffel Tower or old creepy cemetery, but you didn't need that to make this story beautiful. Thank you for making Lola different than Anna. Lola is her own person and I'm sure Isla is too. Lola and Anna are two completely different people. I was worried that I would feel like I was reading the same book two times in a row, but I knew I wasn't. I could tell the obvious differences between Lola and Anna. So thank you for making different characters so so many different girls can feel connected to the characters. A books for an A author.

Dear Lola Nolan,
Thank you for always being yourself. Thank you for being faithful. You are a fun character. You made me laugh. You made me cry. I felt like I could easily be your friend. Lola, you are smart and strong. You know what you want and you go get it. There were times where I wasn't sure that we would get along, especially when you were rude to Calliope but that's my only complaint. Other than that, you were the perfect character for a perfect book. I can't wait to hang out with you again.

Dear Cricket Bell,
*blushes* hi. Thanks for being literally perfect. You're the closest thing to a book boyfriend I've ever had. You're nice and funny and just try to make everyone happy. You're kinda goofy but in a totally sweet way. You and Lola are adorable. You get along so well but you also have your differences and I like that about you two. Thank you for loving Lola and letting her be herself.

Dear Lola and Cricket,
THANK YOU FOR TAKING YOUR TIME. This was not insta-love. I could feel the relationship growing slowly and it made me so happy when you two finally got together. Can I see more relationships like yours? This was a healthy and fun relationship that just filled me with joy and happiness and the way new puppies make me feel.

Seriously, if you like fun, witty characters that aren't super insta-lovey: this is the book for you! I am so glad that I read this book.Still crying about not having Isla yet, though. This is such a fun series. One of my top series I've read this year.

I should mention that you should probably read Anna and the French Kiss prior to reading this. They are companion novels, but it just fits better if you read Anna before! ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
This book. I have discovered a massive love for Stephanie Perkins and her writing. Her characters can wring so many emotions out of you in one sitting, that you sit there afterwards staring into space, wondering what just happened.

Lola was an adorable book, one that I adore. I was flip-flopping between frustration, love, upset, and cooing at the two main characters' cuteness. I finished the book, and just sat there hugging it, sort of giddy. When an author manages to bring this out of me, they have me for life.

Lola was such a quirky character, which made her intriguing. She has a passion for dressing in costumes and bright colors that I just adore; I sometimes I wish I had more of her spunk. She lives with her two fathers, who have raised her since birth. We find out more about her story as the book goes on. We find out in the beginning of the book that she is dating Max, a 22 year old wannabe rock singer (she's 17). Their whole relationship completely pissed me off, for the most part because he is a jerk (I called him much worse in my head, believe me). Their relationship bothered me on so many levels, mostly because she felt like, if she changed for him, he would still want to be with her; he was supposed to be "the one". I had so many issues with that.

When the Bell twins return to the neighborhood, things get interesting and emotions get messy. When I first met Cricket, that just increased my loathing for Max; I kept asking myself when she and Max would break up and she would get together with Cricket. Oh Cricket. I loved Cricket; he was such a shy, sweet guy, someone I would love to have for myself. I love how patient he is with her, how he waits for her to figure things out, and how he engineers things for her. They were completely adorable. I won't say anymore because I don't want to ruin the book.

All I will say is that you will love this book. The characters are adorable, the story sucks you in, and before you know it, it's over and you just stare ahead of you chanting in your head "i love this book, i love this book". ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |
Compared to Anna and the French Kiss, this was just awful. The only aspect I loved was Lola's dads and how they parented. However I found Lola to be unbearable and the story to be predictable. ( )
  MirandaR18 | Feb 6, 2015 |
Oofft. Well, that was a handful.

So whilst reading this book, a discussion formed in my head. It went a little something like this:

Me: How can someone be so selfish without getting repeatedly punched in the face? And how can someone call their child Cricket?!

Lola: HEY. I'm not entirely selfish. Just like with my costumes, I express myself in ways other people don't understand.

Me: Express yourself? How is dating a hot-to-trot guy like Max, yet stringing Cricket along at the same time, expressing yourself? Is it a public protest against commitment?

Lola: *huffs* Well, no. But as a teenager, I went through a phase of confusion!

Me: Confusion? Okay. Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, when I was, say, around 7 years old, my dad took me to Hamley's (for those who don't know, Hamley's is a huge six-storey toy store in London) and he said I could have ONE toy. So up and down we went, scouring all the shelves (and floors) for the perfect toy to complete our mini holiday in London. After an hour and a half (it takes you at least that long to look at everything) I became confounded. In one hand, I had the newest Christmas edition Barbie and in the other, the complete set of Polly Pockets. I wanted them both but with prices being what they were, my father could only afford one.

So this is what he said, "If you're in a state of confusion, torn between two things, uncertain about which one you want, don't pick either one."

Lola: Are you comparing my complicated love life to toys?!

Me: Tell me I'm wrong!

Lola: Yo--

Me: Go on! SAY IT! Say, "No, Aly, YOU'RE WRONG."

Lola: I--

Me: Saaaaay it!

Lola: Look--

Me: I KNEW IT. I KNEW YOU COULDN'T SAY IT. BECAUSE I'M RIGHT.

Lola: *glares daggers and crosses arms* You don't understand. Cricket was my first love! And Max was, well...

Me: Your first love, too? Or just your first? Because unlike ying and yang, one CAN exist without the other.

Lola: Is that your main problem with the book? My love life?

Me: No, I had a few more problems with the book (although I still liked it), here's a list:

NAMES: The names are STUPID. S.T.U.P.I.D. Okay?
Calliope? Cricket? Really? Did Perkins exhaust the baby-name book trying to look for something? WAS IT REALLY TOO HARD TO CALL HIM STEVEN? OR ROGER? OR EVEN JIM?

Lola: Um...

Me:

YOUR DRESS SENSE: Perkins tried SO HARD to make you look like the girl who isn't afraid to show her true colours (literally) that I cringed every time you described an outfit. Here are some personal favourites:

1) The picnic blanket dress. Obviously the shops didn't have a chequered dress that fulfilled your needs.

2) The Marie Antoinette dress. FOR PROM. Sure, it's a very innovative and exciting idea, but did you WANT TO GET LAUGHED AT? (Funny, actually, how the book ends there. Right as you guys get to prom. How convenient.)

3) Wigs. ALL the wigs. WHY WIGS? WHY NOT DYE YOUR HAIR?

Lola: You shouldn't judge someone by the way they dress!

Me: No, you're right. I shouldn't. But then you CRIED when Max said, "Honestly, I don't know who you are. Every time I see you, you're someone different. You're a liar, and you're a fake. Despite what you think, despite what your dads have told you, there is nothing special about you. You're just a little girl with a lot of issues."
How can you expect someone to take you seriously if you wear costumes every day of the year? Surely you realise that people won't take you seriously? It's the same thing when girls dress slutty and act confident, and no one takes them seriously, do they?

And my last problem was You're self centred and selfish. Oh no, Cricket dated when you two 'broke up' or whatever you want to call it, how DARE he not pine after your constantly? Oh no, Lindsey likes to spend time OUTSIDE of your world, how DARE she not revolve everything around you! Oh dear Lord, my dads are bitches because they don't like Max therefore won't let you have any privacy! HOW DARE THEY BE WORRIED? Oh no, your birth mother is a bitch, too, and she embarrasses you but NO UNDERSTANDS WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH! HOW DARE THEY HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE OF LOLA-WORLD!

Lola: But I changed by the end of the book!

Me: Yes, you did, and that's why I'm saying I liked it. Although it's filled with weird names, dresses and weird priorities, I DID like the book. It was funny and uplifting and paced fast enough that I didn't lose interest halfway through. I think Stephanie Perkins could've done it better, because she has such brilliant potential and so many great ideas, that maybe this book wasn't quite up to scratch with my expectations, but I definitely liked it. I would definitely read it again, that's for sure.

Lola: *Simpers*

Me: Hey. Cut it out. I said I liked the BOOK, not YOU.

*FADE OUT*

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, JeanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

154 wanted3 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,229,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible