Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie…

Lola and the boy next door (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Perkins

Member:annie-b
Title:Lola and the boy next door
Authors:Stephanie Perkins
Info:New York, N.Y. : Dutton Books, 2011.
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, romance, overdrive ebook

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

English (172)  Piratical (1)  All (173)
The title for this book is perfect since it really is about Lola and the boy next door. I want to say, I really enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss, but this was just boring to me. I still really enjoyed Stephanie Perkins writing and I plan to finish the series.

I really liked how this started off. You have a mystery of how Cricket hurt Lola and then it is revealed how and it is such a disappointment. You also have a weird love triangle which one character was barely present except to bring the triangle to life. Max never stood a chance, even though I actually liked his character at times. I think his portrayal changes and it did not make sense. It starts off where he would do anything to please Lola and her parents and then instantly he becomes a character the author wants you to hate.

I also did not love Cricket. I just could not connect with Lola or Cricket or their relationship. I was getting so bored with everything I had to skip ahead just to finish reading this.

I had a love/hate relationship when St. Claire and Anna were mentioned. I feel they were also different characters than what I grew to love in Anna and the French Kiss.

I will finish the next book, but I hope it is better than this one. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jan 5, 2017 |
4.5 so cute!! it's just too much, loved it. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
So sweet. It brought out my inner angsty teenage girl. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
So, I am IN LOVE with Anna and the French Kiss, and I think Isla and the Happily Ever After is great, and if I would have realized that Lola should really come second, I would have expressed my appreciation for it sooner.
Anna and the French Kiss is one of my absolute favorite books, so therefore, I clearly had to read the other two books in the series. So, so glad I did. I'll start off with my nit-picky things, to save the good parts for last. That's the way I roll.
I don't think there was enough romance, especially with Cricket. I know Lola had a boyfriend and all, but I feel like there could have been more. Anna and Etienne still managed to have quite the spark even though he was in a relationship. I just felt like there was significantly more romance with Anna and Isla.
I love that Anna and Etienne are in this, but it makes me just slightly sad, too, because it's not enough of a fix, you know? I'll just have to keep rereading their book over and over, I guess. Shame. ;)
I loved Max and his slightly-bad-boy rocker persona, even though we're obviously not supposed to get attached to him. I loved the story of how they met, and all the little things about Max. As well as the things about Cricket, of course, but I liked the addition of Max. I loved the description of his ghost sitting between them on the bus. That was wonderful.
I loved Cricket and Lola, and how especially how sweet Cricket was. Their discovery of their self worth is also great. I feel like it will help readers who struggle with that, too.
Overall, this is another great read from Stephanie Perkins. And if you haven't read Anna and Isla, you need to do that like yesterday. ( )
  jewelsk96 | Jun 28, 2016 |
Nearly a 4.5 Audiobook Fantastic Narration Wonderful characters Beautiful setting Nice tie in with past characters Great conflict Honest emotions
HEA What's not to love ? This one was set in one of my favorite cities San Francisco, with beautiful descriptions. The way it was written I could see myself there walking down the historical streets with Lola and Cricket. Lola was a complex, independent, loved girl with some normal issues in a bit of an unconventional way. LOL I know sounds complicated but it's really not. Her fathers are so wonderful I wanted them to adopt me, if just for the pie time. One of the fathers makes pies for a living, yum. So she has two fathers, two love interests, one working, one not, she is unique and lets that flag fly, ad smart and balanced and you have one fantastic character. Max, her now love is, loud, musical, artistic and well you'll find out. Cricket the not now but was the love, is shy, intelligent and slightly aloof. The side characters all ad something to the story, each plays their part well. I really enjoyed it, couldn't wait to hear more, and was sad when it ended. I wanted more. ( )
  TheYodamom | May 7, 2016 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duewell, KristinaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, JeanineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.

Budding costume designer Lola lives an extraordinary life in San Francisco with her two dads and beloved dog, dating a punk rocker, but when the Bell twins return to the house next door Lola recalls both the friendship-ending fight with Calliope, a figure skater, and the childhood crush she had on Cricket.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,499,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible